iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a 50ish cc saw . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, November 13, 2007, 12:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

My local small engine guy has a Dolmar 5100S for $369.00 which seems fair to me. It comes with an 16" oregon bar and chain.

I have been wanting a saw to fit between my 345 (homeowner version)  and 372XP. I had bought the 345 and a Wild Thing and a sears or some other saw, all running, from a guy for $100 or $120 can't rememnber exactly now but cheap like that, and gave my dad the Poulan and sears or whatever it was, so I did not actually "choose" the 345 it chose me. Could not pass the deal up. It is a nice saw and has enough power for most of what I use it for but it does not limb the bigger hardwood limbs like I want a saw to do. I read archives and am more undecided than before I read them.

Are the Husky or Stihl equivalents to the 5100S possibly a better bang for the buck? I mean it seemed pretty heavy to me for such a small saw.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

bookerdog

The husky 346xp was meant for limbing.  That is a good price on a 5100s though.  I think a husky on line is about 400.00.   

TexasTimbers

I read in the archives someone said the MS361 was the machine to go for but I am under the impression it is a bigger saw. I want to stay in the 50cc range I think. I will look at the 346xp closer then and compare the weight to the 5100S.

ely

some folks run a larger drive sproket on their limbing saw. really takes the limbs off fast, but you sort of have to baby it if you sink it in a log.

beenthere

Yep, that MS361 would be too much hp for you.... :D :D

jus pullin on yer chain... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

:D

i knew dat. i ain't dat paranoid . . . . . No I  ain't!!! :D

TexasTimbers

Well after reading more on the saws I am really leaning toward the 346xp but I also want to get the 5100S from my buddy. He has become my buddy over the years but I don't know if he is close enough of a buddy for me to tote 2 extra pounds around all day. :D

ehp

they weigh alot closer than that, there is nothing wrong with the 5100 and they are quite a powerful saw

bookerdog

Quote from: ehp on November 13, 2007, 05:53:29 PM
they weigh alot closer than that, there is nothing wrong with the 5100 and they are quite a powerful saw

Hey ehp have you got to try out the new 50cc version of the 346? 

TexasTimbers

10.6 lbs for the Husky and the Dolmar 11.2 lbs  you are right. I had gotten the dolmar weight off a sales site so after you said it was not 2 pounds I went to dolmar and husky and got the weight from their sites. thanks that makes a differnece.

I noticed that my upper body does not fatigue much but my back has been griping alot lately when iswing a chainsaw all day which is why I want to retire the 372 for limbing duties anyway.

ehp

yes I have ran the new 346  50cc saw, you cannot go much by what they say saws weigh unless you weigh them yourself cause some donot include stuff like the bar cover, spikes stuff like that in the saws real weight

KY CUTTER

:P I just resently bought a new 346xp 50CC New Edition with an 18" bar.  I did TONS of research, and looked at sthil, husky, and dolmar.  I have used Sthil saws in the past and they are very reliable saws.  However once you look at a husky and feel of a husky.  There is no turning back.  Plus it is alot more advanced in air filtration and anti-vibration.  The new 50CC is a real screamer ;D.  I use it on the farm clearing thickets and cutting a little firewood.  Needless to say I pack it around ALOT.  I had been usings a 009L Sthil with a 14" bar.  It is a little heavier than that.  But now after about 2 weeks of using it I cant tell the difference.  My buddy has a 025 Sthil and the 346XP will walk all over it.  All I can say is I am 100% satisfied with my choice.  The guys here on this forum really helped me out.  SawTroll also has this saw and recommended it highly.  I ordered it from NPECO.com for $440 shipped with 3 chains total, a bar protector, hat, and shirt.  I felt I got a great deal.  If you are going to buy a 346XP make sure you get the NEW EDITION 50CC.  ASK FOR IT, were ever you get it from.  Mine is a non-etech version.  I would ask the seller which version they have.  Nothing wrong with the e-tech, but I hear it gets hot easy, and a non-etech muffler is about $34 through Bailey's.  Check out my thread about the 346XP vs the 353.  Also if you are an information junky like me there are ALOT of great forums that take about the 346XP.   

Warbird

Quote from: KY CUTTER on November 14, 2007, 05:00:22 PM

Careful there, buddy....  somethin's likely to get chopped off...   8)

TexasTimbers

I appreciate your reply cutter. That helps alot.

But like warbird, even dummy me knows not to pee on the Stihl crowd - those guys will dogpile you! :D

Man that is sure a pretty saw. Is it only the 50cc versiona that has that nice looking silver cover?

ehp

No I have been told that most if not all new built husky will have that colour of cover. I not sure on the non xp models

SawTroll

Quote from: ehp on November 14, 2007, 10:39:59 PM
No I have been told that most if not all new built husky will have that colour of cover. I not sure on the non xp models

I have read that it will eventually be on all xp saws, not the others.

So far it is observed on the 575xp, in addition to the 346.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on November 13, 2007, 03:00:49 PM
I read in the archives someone said the MS361 was the machine to go for but I am under the impression it is a bigger saw. I want to stay in the 50cc range I think. I will look at the 346xp closer then and compare the weight to the 5100S.

My preferred limbing saw for mature birches (what I mostly cut) is the MS361, with 3/8x8 and 15" bar.

For the smaller trees etc, the new 346xp is pretty close to the 5100S in power (jury still out).

The Husky is heavier than the old version, and the non-cat version is just about 1/2 lb lighter than the 5100S. The Husky is slimmer and neater to handle, which makes it a better limbing saw, at least when you have lots of small limbs to cut off.

The better handling charasteristics of the Husky is mainly as a tradeoff twds. the outboard clutch that some people hate and others are indifferent about.

The Dolmar has the centre of gravity further back, and will balance longer bars better.

The Jonsered version of the new 346xp is the 2153.

Among our saws the Husky revs up faster than the 5100, but not quite as high - neither is fully run in though.
My accelleration champ is still the MS361.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Information collector.

TexasTimbers

Sawtroll that is the kind of info I like to read. I am still undecided but still leaning toward the new 346xp. Although that MS361 is sure tempting. But would almost defeat my point in going to a saw under 15 lbs. The Stihl site says it weighs 12.3 lbs powerhead and empty so over 15 wet with bar and chain and dirt. ;)

The MS361 seems to be alot more saw though. 9cc in fact. Is the performance difference dramatic? I'll look into the price difference too before I decide.

KY CUTTER

Just so everyone knows, I like Sthil saws.  I run a 009L and for many years they have rained supreme around here.  Just having fun with the pics.  BTW Texas the new 346XP is rated at 3.7HP @ 9600 RPM.  I have the book on the new saw if there is any other specs you want to know.  I dont think it is out on Husky's website yet.

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on November 15, 2007, 10:37:24 AM
.... The MS361 seems to be alot more saw though. 9cc in fact. Is the performance difference dramatic? I'll look into the price difference too before I decide.

Yes! - at least with the German made ones.....
Information collector.

SawTroll

Sawtroll that is the kind of info I like to read. I am still undecided but still leaning toward the new 346xp. Although that MS361 is sure tempting. But would almost defeat my point in going to a saw under 15 lbs. The Stihl site says it weighs 12.3 lbs powerhead and empty so over 15 wet with bar and chain and dirt. ;)

The MS361 seems to be alot more saw though. 9cc in fact. Is the performance difference dramatic? I'll look into the price difference too before I decide.

You can't go wrong with any of those saws, and please don't enter the 357xp into the picture...lol :) :D :D
Information collector.

Cut4fun

But would almost defeat my point in going to a saw under 15 lbs. The Stihl site says it weighs 12.3 lbs powerhead and empty so over 15 wet with bar and chain and dirt. ;)

I have owned the MS361 and 357XP. With 16" bar and chains, filled with mix and bar oil they both weighed 17.5 LBS as you would use to work with. My 7900 with the same set up was only 1 LB more. So if you are wanting a light working saw as used, you better stay in the 49cc-53cc range. 

The 357 and 361 handle the same IMO. I have owned both and I would go with the best dealer support and price on that one, if needed.  They are both good saws, but both have things I like a nd dis-liked.

Urbicide

I have one of the new 50 cc 346XP's and have been pleased with it. It is very light, very manuverable, and has a lot of torque. If I need something larger for the occasion then out comes either the EHP 359 or the EHP 372XP.  Never ran a Dolmar 5100S but I know that they are popular too.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!