iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what to replace 16 " 011 with ?

Started by CUT N RUN, November 16, 2020, 06:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I think the confusion lies in the type of sprocket we are looking at. The ones on your 011 and the MS211 are spur type where the drive teeth are one piece with the drum, if the chain pitch is changed the drum needs to be replaced. If on the other hand the saw has a floating rim only it needs to be changed, this is more popular on the larger pro units that are seeing heavy use. Ineexpensive and quick to replace. Either way 3/8 picco (lo pro) and .325 are not interchangeable on the same driver
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CUT N RUN

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 17, 2020, 08:59:24 PM
I think the confusion lies in the type of sprocket we are looking at. The ones on your 011 and the MS211 are spur type where the drive teeth are one piece with the drum, if the chain pitch is changed the drum needs to be replaced. If on the other hand the saw has a floating rim only it needs to be changed, this is more popular on the larger pro units that are seeing heavy use. Ineexpensive and quick to replace. Either way 3/8 picco (lo pro) and .325 are not interchangeable on the same driver
heres a video of  diff. between 325 - 3/8 cutting . i didnt notice much diff. in cutting . -but he also shows 1 version of sprocket diff.  and ( as a bonus ) you may , as i was ,, be super impressed with his safety sandals !!!!!                                                          Stihl MS261C 325 v 375 Chain in Oak Part 1 - YouTube

doc henderson

hard to know if the sharpening skill on the 3/8 makes it equal to a new 0.325.  neat video.  lower rakesr makes it more aggressive, and pulls into the wood to a point, but if you hold back due to the feel then it may slow you down.  I know my 3/8 throws bigger chips.  need to match the chain to the saw.  RM is safety chain and they claim it cuts just as fast and stays sharp longer.  the RS is the more aggressive chain, non safety.  i like the way it cuts and it seems faster to me.  find what you like and make some firewood!  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!