iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things I learned today - first cutting with my Turner mill

Started by Delawhere Jack, May 08, 2012, 05:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

My blades finally arrived at 7pm last night, too late to drive to the yard and do any cutting, so I started this morning. A local tree service owner was kind enough to give a log. I told him that I'd bought a portable mill, so he gave me a log and even had his guys fork it onto my trailer. A 17" x  7' silver maple.

I used a forklift at the yard to load the log on the mill, (still in the process of building ramps, buying a winch, etc). And off I go! So........ here is what I learned:

Green logs are really heavy.

Heavy logs don't care what you want them to do.

A 2x4 skid is no substitute for a cant hook.

Trying to get every last inch out of a log increases the work exponentially.

You saw guide WILL find something to bind on....repeatedly. Usually bark.

If the Good Lord had intended us to operate a manual mill alone, without a cant hook or winch, he'd have given us all Arnold Schwartzeneggers physique.

When you've cut 1/3 of a heavy log away, it's still pretty heavy.

And most importantly, a day spent sawing beats a day fixing computers hands down!

My laborer was pretty worn out by the end. I promised her I'd super-size her meal AND buy her ice cream if she stopped whining. ;D

thecfarm

Fun isn't it? Get yourself a Log Rite peavey or cant dog. You are learning. wait until you hit the mill with a blade or find metal in a log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

So Jack, I get the impression:

'Heavy logs don't care what you want them to do.'

:D

If the help reads that 'whining' comment you could need to buy her more that Ice Cream!

Magicman

Congratulations on your 1st learning experience, and it is obvious that you are not paying your hired help enough.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2012, 05:37:35 PM
Congratulations on your 1st learning experience, and it is obvious that you are not paying your hired help enough.   :)

Nah, she's just trying to steal all the glory. :) I've got to remember to get her some flowers and a half gallon of ice cream next Sunday.

macpower

"If the Good Lord had intended us to operate a manual mill alone, without a cant hook or winch, he'd have given us all Arnold Schwartzeneggers physique."

You mean you don't have the Arnold physique? I mean, like all the rest of us do, thought everyone did! ;D
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

snowshoveler

Well you are far from done.
You need to stack and sticker that wood.
It has to be cared for just right.
Looks good so far, and yes the help needs an ice cream.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

WDH

Now that you have the mill, you will have to get a $30,000 tractor to load it and a $10,000 shelter to dry the lumber in.  It is only just starting  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 08, 2012, 09:15:41 PM
Now that you have the mill, you will have to get a $30,000 tractor to load it and a $10,000 shelter to dry the lumber in.  It is only just starting  :D.

Danny's right. You're gonna need to buy lots of Ice Cream! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 08, 2012, 09:17:49 PM
Quote from: WDH on May 08, 2012, 09:15:41 PM

Danny's right. You're gonna need to buy lots of Ice Cream! :)

Knowledge is power, all others pay retail. ;D

But I will have to pay retail for the ice cream.

bugdust

You shouldn't work your daughter so hard.  :D :D :D

God Bless All Mommies! To think they put up with us.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: bugdust on May 08, 2012, 10:14:14 PM
You shouldn't work your daughter so hard.  :D :D :D

God Bless All Mommies! To think they put up with us.

My mommie got it right on her sixth try.  ;D

And no folks, I didn't make my 86 year old mother work on the mill............. I just had her ........nevermind, there are laws against that too I guess........ :-\

Delawhere Jack

Stacked and stickered the boards this morning. Got 89bf out of the log, the calc tool in the toolbox figured it at 87 international. I left a little wane on the end of some boards, so the calculator is just about dead-on.

Magicman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 08, 2012, 10:35:22 PM
And no folks, I didn't make my 86 year old mother work on the mill. 

It was a joy for me to see your Mom sharing sawmill time with you.  Cherish the moment.

During the first week that I had my sawmill, I loaded my Mom up in the car one morning and parked her so that she could see the entire operation. 

She had been worried about me cutting something off on the sawmill and I could not explain to her that a bandmill was different.  After watching, she could rest easier.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ArborJake

My mother's terrified of my circle mill. After I got it set up she came down to see it but not if it was running. As she looked at it I walk over to the motor and she ran out and left. She's convinced I'll get hurt to. No way I,m gonna get her to work.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2012, 10:54:13 PM

It was a joy for me to see your Mom sharing sawmill time with you.  Cherish the moment.

During the first week that I had my sawmill, I loaded my Mom up in the car one morning and parked her so that she could see the entire operation. 

She had been worried about me cutting something off on the sawmill and I could not explain to her that a bandmill was different.  After watching, she could rest easier.   :)

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on May 10, 2012, 10:54:13 PM

My dad bought a lumberyard in 1965, my two oldest brothers were put to work on a sticker machine making fence pickets when they were 11 and 7 years old. In all the years since, two hired help have lost fingers, none of my brothers have. I barely knicked my left thumb on a tablesaw when I was 18.

I explained to my mom, and my worry-wort sister that operating a bandmill is probably safer than running a chainsaw. Mom was not worried at all, she was impressed that I could make boards out of a log with my new "toy".

Thank You Sponsors!