iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All firewood processing Bob-Cat owners need one of these;

Started by Slingshot, November 16, 2011, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

davey duck

David G.Fleming

beenthere

Guess this is at least the third thread on this one. ;)
It is made by Hahn Machinery of Two Harbors, MN or one close to it.
Looks neat to me and easy to process a deck of logs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Meh...for the price of that thing or less you can get a pretty decent new standalone processor that does not beat the living daylights out of an expensive skid steer...I am so glad I do not do maintenance on a skid that uses one of those.
And can still ise the skid to move logs and processed firewood without swapping toys...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Slingshot

My apologies on posting in the wrong place. Should have paid more attention
to the subject matter   ::)

zopi

Well...in all fairness, the sawmill is just an expensive log splitter... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

This contraption or for that matter any processer you would have to move huge quantities of firewood to justify the price .Those that fall into that catigory wouldn't amount to 2 percent of  all firewood sellers .

Like this area,most firewood is from either hazard tree removal or standing dead .Nobody cuts perfectly healthy trees for firewood .Then how would that thing or any processer  become an asset when dealing with a 36" diameter oak .That skidloader wouldn't even be able to lift a log let alone saw it off and split it .

Unless that thing or another super duper processer were used on the very rare clear cut for a shopping center or something they would be entirely worthless in this area .

Now the skidloader itself minus that gizmo is a very handy item to have ,I'll grant you that . :)

T Welsh

Quote from: zopi on November 16, 2011, 08:54:20 PM
Well...in all fairness, the sawmill is just an expensive log splitter... lol

Hey Zopi,I use my LT-40-HD as a log splitter ;D Tim

zopi

I saw that picture...did that to an old log the other day instead of pulling it out of the deck...pretty firewood from a lousy top log...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

Right now firewood is bringing in more money than saw logs are,I have a bunch of #2 red oak logs in the 24 dia. range that is going to be sawn into quarters and the sent through the processor. We looked at the skid steer processor,but it was to much $ and I felt it was going to be to hard on the skid steer,also our logs are cut at 16'6" and it would not work with logs that long. we encounter logs of all sizes and shapes our problem right now is the break down process. I have been toying over the wood screw attachment for the skid steer,it looks real,but like any thing I buy I have to test it out personally first. I dont like quartering logs on the mill,but like I said it pays to do it. Tim

Al_Smith

You know it is a fact and ironic that grade saw logs fetch more as firewood .Kinda funny though if you go to the mill to buy rough sawn how the price goes up .

T Welsh

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 20, 2011, 06:43:44 AM
You know it is a fact and ironic that grade saw logs fetch more as firewood .Kinda funny though if you go to the mill to buy rough sawn how the price goes up .
Al_Smith,I hate when this happens! I stock pile my logs in length and purpose,saw logs, and firewood and we have run out of firewood logs almost twice so far, my buddy saw these logs in the back of the saw log pile with orange paint on them and asked what I was saving them for(I said ME) they are going on the woodmizer to be quartered and then through the processor for firewood,they where cut in the spring time and I was just saving them for? Now I know what I was saving them for ;D Tim

T Welsh

Here is what I have been looking at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJGy4lKzd_0
We get these big ugly,knotty butt logs that are of little value and are only good for firewood and are to big for the processor. this looks real enough to break down to processor size. but like I said before(I want to be the one in the operators seat before I fork over any money) I still think black powder would be more fun :D Tim

Corley5

Last spring I bought an auger for my 753 Bobcat to put in vineyard posts but also with the idea of also using it as a screw type splitter for big logs.  The 1st screw splitter for skidsteers I saw were US pride products but his prices were out of line I felt.  I researched various augers and settled on an Austraulian built one that I purchased from Skidsteer Solutions.  The selling point was that the head could be pinned rigid for running mixers, horizontal drilling etc and they had in the past offered screw splitters.  This fall I bought an Atom screw splitter for the auger.  I've split a LOT of BIG beech logs down into manageable sizes for my 14-12 Blockbuster processor and I'm into the whole thing for less than half of what the US Pride splitter would've cost me.  I seriously considered and had most of the main components lined up to build a big hydraulic splitter and am glad I went this route instead  :)  No pics right now but I'll take some of the machine later.  Don't expect video  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

T Welsh

Corley5, This system seems like it would work,I am wondering about the hydraulics that are needed to run a screw with out stalling in a big knotty log,I have run augers on the skid steer 36" and it does not have the flow needed to keep it running when you hit a root or rock,so the screw would do the same thing in my mind,unless it has a gear reduction motor or a high flow system behind it,our skid steer has regular flow not high flow. and the video shows logs that have very few knots and look easy to bust open. I want one that will not stall and turn the machine or the log first without stalling the hyd motor. :D Tim

Corley5

My 753 has a flow of 15gpm and yes you can stall it.  If it stalls and it will you back it out, move down the log a bit and start again.  You learn quick about stopping at the right moment or it'll stick and have to be cut out with a chainsaw.  Don't plan on starting in the middle of the log and splitting it with one hole.  Start at one end and work your way down following the split.  Sugar maple, white ash and black cherry bust open fairly easily.  Beech splits hard.  Some of the logs we've split have a complete spiral in the grain in as little as 4 feet.  These need to be cut from from 8' to four feet to split.  Usually there are still some strings left connecting the pieces and we finish pulling them apart with forwarder.  The setup has more than paid for itself and allowed me to utilize otherwise worthless oversize logs.  We figure we can split in the neighborhood of two pulp cords an hour in beech and can do somewhat better in other species. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

T Welsh

Corley5, I kind of figured that the best and easy way for these to work would be to start at one end and split as you go,just start the split and chase it until its apart. of course the video shows it splitting a 10 footer in one shot. and of course it depends on the type of wood you split also. just another tool to make life easier.right now we have a huge pile of oversize stuff that goes to the local mulch yard and get thrown into the tub grinder,they take it for free,but that doesnt put any money in my pocket. Thanks for the insight. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!