From Host: **************
 name = Sharon K.
 submit_by = **********@yahoo.com
Geographic_Location =
 ask_the_forester_question = I am in school and need to know "What are
digger logs? "

>
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberbeast

I don't think this is what she is asking for,  but since I don't have hydraulics on my tractor,  and I skid my logs flat on the ground,  maybe I pull "digger logs".  My skid trails look like trenches with tire tracks on each side!
Where the heck is my axe???

Kevin

A digger log is a log that is placed at a 30o angle to the bank.  It is held in place with the use of rebar that, like the cover logs, is driven into the stream bed.  
A digger log creates a miniature waterfall which scours the streambottom and over time creates a pool.  The stream gradually restores a natural pattern of flow that increases the suspension of sand to silt-sized sediment.  This in turn provides a well aerated gravel bed which is ideal spawning habitat for Salmon and Brook Trout.

bin milling

Frank_Pender

Thank you, Kevin, for the new term as well as the definition.   I  reckon working in and around the woods all of ones life, one still finds the learning curve rising.  I will use the term at my next watershed council meeting and watch faces to see if anyone knows the term.  About fifty percent of the people are logger heads too.  It will be interesting.  Thank you. 8)
Frank Pender

Jeff

O.K. Kevin, fess up, where did ya find the answer??  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

swampwhiteoak

My guess would be that Kevin values the good ole search engine.  Digger log:

http://www.acapcb.ns.ca/diggerlog.html
http://www3.pei.aibn.com/~sea/valleypic.html

But his quote comes from the bottom of this website
http://www.valleyweb.com/focs/projects.htm

Nothing wrong with letting google do the work for ya! ;)

Kevin

Ron Scott

Good job Kevin. I should have been thinking watersheds and fish habitat instead of timber. Forgot that one.
~Ron

L. Wakefield

So from the pic it goes right across the stream bed but not perpendicular to the direction of flow- that's the 30* angle, right, that one end is further upstream than t'other? The only type I'd seen illustrated previously in a book on encouraging trout was a way to fake an undercut bank by making a wooden structure there as well- but it was like a little shelf built out from the bank, not something straddling the entire watercourse. hmm.. :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

north_bugtussel

;D Kevin has the right idea. Can't remember everything you ever learned, or your head would explode! Trick is, remembering what book the answer is in. :P
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

Thank You Sponsors!