iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut Tree's

Started by DonT, October 20, 2002, 10:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

My wife and I were out for a walk in town this morning and i picked up some fallen nuts.They are dark brown with a prickley husk that peels off to reveal a nut that is about 3cm thick by about 4cm long.I believe these are chestnuts but i am not sure.having read previous posts on growing trees from seed, I brought home some of the nuts,wrapped them up and put them in the freezer to plant next spring.Chestnut tree's are not found in the wild in this area, so this must be an urban tree that someone has planted many years ago.Is this the right process for growing seedlings?  DonT

Ron Scott

Not sure of what success you might have with the chestnut since you are generally out of its range.

It is also a prolific stump sprouter, but the chestnut blight fungus usually persists in the living stumps and kills the larger sprouts.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

My guess is that it isn't an American chestnut, but either a Chinese or European.  

I'm not real sure about starting chestnuts from seed.  If you are interested in getting either American chestnut seeds or seedlings, you can go to http://www.acf.org

There is no guarantee of success, and most trees will die due to the blight.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Noble_Ma

Ron,

That discription sounds like what we call horse chestnut?  I just read in my Audubon tree book that they are in the buckeye family.  We don't have a lot up here but they are around.  Does the wood from these trees resemble the American chestnut?

swampwhiteoak

Noble_Ma,

No, I think from the description given they are chestnuts.  Ohio buckeye and horse chestnut seed pods get a little spiny on the outside, but I don't think that is what he is refering to.

On the second question, the answer is no, the wood is quite a bit different.  If you go into the link directory you can find some forest service wood publications that can answer the question more completely.

DonT

Thanks for the responses,I finally identified my tree.According to tree's of Canada it is a horse chestnut (aesculus hippocastanum).This must have been a tree that someone planted years ago as it is approximately 60cm in diameter.I don't know how they will fair but I think I will plant them in the spring and see what happens.  Thanks DonT

swampwhiteoak

Well DonT I feel silly. Sorry, NobleMa, looks like you were right.

Noble_Ma

No problem swampwhiteoak.  It was just a guess.  Now if I could just guess that right lottery number. ;D

Tom

How big is that thing in inches ??? :P :D

woodmills1

my front yard ha two huge horsechestnuts (one word) not much good for nothin cept for two days they look nice.  planted round 1860 I think. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Noble_Ma

In case you're not kiddding, 2.54 cm/in.  25.4 mm/in

Brian_Bailey

Here is what an American Chestnut bur & nut looks like.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!