iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Deck with Stop-n-Load?

Started by stavebuyer, June 24, 2013, 07:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

Getting ready for a new log deck. We have been using an old lumber deck and the loader arms on the LT70 for loading logs on the mill. Since we are using the mill loader arms we have the old deck chain "pushing" rather than "pulling" because the drive shaft connecting the two strands of the deck would interfere with mills loader arms if we had it set up correctly. It works ok on smaller and round logs but we often have trouble with large, crooked or knotty logs getting sideways on the chain because the chain won't "push" a full log deck but will pull it backwards.

My questions are;
1. Do rougher or crooked logs cause issues either not moving forward on the chain or not rolling onto the mill once you remove the mills loader arms?

2. I requested a quote for the WM 20' deck as its only about 10% more in cost than the 12' deck. Does anybody using the longer deck have any issues with the hydraulic drive motor pulling a full 20' deck of logs or would the 12' possibly be more effective because you could keep it full of logs and let the "pack" of logs move the rough logs that dont' contact the chain on both sides? Sometimes bigger isnt always better....

bandmiller2

Staver,we all have problems wit the occasional crooked log.I don't think you live deck will have problems because you can't push a chain, in reality the front idler sprocket is pulling the chain to the mill loader arms.If you have decent hydraulic pressure I don't see why you cant handle a 20 footer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I have the 20' WM log deck and it will move a full deck of logs with out much trouble. If I have nice round logs I will sometimes stack them two deep and it will still move them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: customsawyer on June 27, 2013, 04:14:18 PM
I have the 20' WM log deck and it will move a full deck of logs with out much trouble. If I have nice round logs I will sometimes stack them two deep and it will still move them.

Are you powering the deck motor from the Wood-Mizer pumps?  Or an hydraulic power pack unit?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

It is now from the hyd. power pack unit but at first it ran off of the mill hyd.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

stavebuyer

I ended up ordering the twelve foot deck for a couple reasons. If the mill every goes portable again; I think the 12' is a better match for the LT70s DC pumps. Secondly I could pretty much straighten up the log row from the in-feed end of the deck with the tip of the loader forks at that length. The way we are set up limits side access.

Thank You Sponsors!