iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detector

Started by Mark M, January 26, 2003, 04:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I'm probably going to need a metal detector since a lot of the trees I'll be working with are from in town. I've checked prices on the ones you see in the Sawmill & Woodlot magazine and they are over $1200. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative? How about the kind use for backyard treasure hunting?

Thanks

Mark

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Mark. NOT putting on the sell here, but, we sell hobby detectors. There are several models that will do just fine for log "huntin".
   First the basics. One type goes pretty deep (10" +). They are "pulse Induction" machines. The other type will go fairly deep( up to 10"). Money determines the depth, of course. They are VLF or very low freq. machines.
  There are 2 types of search coils. One is a Double D (DD) that sends the signal out in a bar shape, about 2 inches wide X the width of the coil. The other type is a Concentric type, that sends the signal out in a "cone" shape.It goes deep only at the center of the coil.
  I would recommend (hate to) that you go to Radio Shack, and look at their "Pioneer" model, with 8" coil. This is made by Bounty Hunter and is about $199.00. STAY AWAY from the "Store Brand" that says Radio Shack and sells for under $75.00. It is a waste of money.
  There are several classifieds on Treasure hunting forums, that list used machines.
  USUALLY, any machine made by Garrett, Minelab, Whites, and Fisher M Scope, will be more than sufficient. Pawn shops are a good source of cheaper prices.
The more knobs, dials and meters on the machine, the more money and the harder to get used to it.
  If you find something cheap, contact me, and I will give you the straight poop on it, BEFORE you spend yer bucks.  Harold
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

I have an older detector from whites, it works well and can be set to not discriminate the type of metal.  the company was very nice and sent me the operating info and owners manual for free, even though I bought it used
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

I have a White's Quantum XT that my wife gave me for my birthday a few years ago, worked great until I lost the charger for it when we moved to our new house. Anybody have a source where to get a replacement for it?

Of course I'll find it right after I buy a new one :D

DanG

Norm, Kellyco might be able to fix you up. Find them at  www.kellycodetectors.com

Of course, Harold might have a source, too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Mark M.   You can walk over the dollars to pick up the pennies.  I learned that a ong time ago.  I broke down and purchased a Rens 3000 a few years ago and have not a problem.  Some have had some issues with the battery cost replacement with them, but I have not had any such issues.   Ihave been able to find tramp metsal and deep as 3' in a log with this unit.   I have also used it to find power lines buried ad eep ad 4' pluse along with telephone lines and water.
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Yep. Frank's correct about the depth. I can do the same with a top of the line hobby machine. Like I stated above, it's all about MONEY. Wherever anyone lives, there should be a White's dealer. Check the Yaller Pages.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Kevin

Just a word of caution on the buried wire locating, it could be an abandoned line and the energized replacement may not be in the same trench. Call before you dig.

DanG

You trying to talk your way out of a job, Kev-man??  We love it when folks cut our stuff into little pieces. The worse it gets, the more money we make. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kevin

I had a guy go at a 400 pair cable with a pick because he thought it was a root as he was planting his cat in the back yard.
The best part is they cover it back over thinking you won`t find it.  :D

DanG

My own dear ol' Daddy hacked through a fifty pair with the back side of a mattock, while replacing his sewer pipe. Says that was the toughest root he ever came across. :o  The guy that had to fix it is a fellow Mobile Dimension owner, so I still catch the devil about it, to this day. :D

Norm

Thanks for the link DanG, the yaller pages in my phone book is six pages.

GarryW

I asked a similar question in here a few months back and got some good responses. I ended up getting a refurbished Rens 4000. It works pretty well but it is a little on the expensive side. I haven't used it enough to be able to figure out how deep things are in the log. I also just ordered the Lumber Wizard through amazon, it was a good deal and came with the mini-Wizard for only around $70. I figure that I'll use the Rens to scan the whole log and the Wizard to scan smaller pieces.
Garry

Thank You Sponsors!