iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"simple" timber frame porch

Started by dablack, June 15, 2015, 03:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Ok Guys!  Here pretty soon I'm going to be putting a front porch on my house https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73722.0.html.

I would like it to be timber frame if it isn't too rough (hard).  The span between posts is 13' and the posts are 8x8s.  I think the beams are 8x10 (I can't remember right now) and 13' long.  The angled braces can be 6x6 or whatever.  What would be the best (easiest) way to put the braces in?  I have handtools and don't mind buying a chisel if need be. 

Is there a book I should buy that will detail the joint?  It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like for it to use as little metal as possible. 

Also, I know that since the beams are only 13' long and that is the span from the center of each post, that I'm going to have to use SOME metal to hold them together.  Any hints on how to hide that metal?

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Andy White

Austin,
When you get ready, I'll bring you my timber framing tools, and my book by Jack Sobon. That will tell and show every thing you need. Also, the threads at the top of this page will help you a lot also. All my chisels are sharp and ready to go to work. Just shout, and we will do this thing.   8) 8) 8) :P :P    Andy
PS>  Tips on the metal, Don't use any. Use a scarf joint for the beam.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Andy White on June 15, 2015, 05:18:34 PM
Austin,
When you get ready, I'll bring you my timber framing tools, and my book by Jack Sobon. That will tell and show every thing you need. Also, the threads at the top of this page will help you a lot also. All my chisels are sharp and ready to go to work. Just shout, and we will do this thing.   8) 8) 8) :P :P    Andy

8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dablack

Quote from: Andy White on June 15, 2015, 05:18:34 PM

Thanks Andy.  I really appreciate it.  The problem with the metal is that my beams are only 13' long (I think) and that is also how far they have to span.  So, not enough length for a scarf joint. 

Austin

Brian_Weekley

Perhaps you could employ wooden splines and pegs to connect them...

For a shed roof, they might work fine.  That would sure look nicer than metal brackets!
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

That would be a great solution to the short timber problem. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

dablack

I love it.  That is what I'm talking about!

Thank You Sponsors!