iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help needed slabbing 48" by 16 foot poplar trunk into table top

Started by Kerrymr, February 23, 2017, 11:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrymr

I have a 17 foot long by 48" tulip poplar log that I want to slab out a couple of table tops and benches. It was cut 3 weeks ago and anchor seal was applied. The heart is solid on both ends. I want to get 3 inch thick tops. I am in sw Georgia. I have a mill that will do it for half the lumber if I transport the log to the mill. I'm not equipped to transport a 5 ton log. I was told a roll back wrecker could come load it and transport it but I haven't gotten a quote on that.

How much should I expect someone to slab that for?
Newbie to personal sawmilling- grew up in sawmill and pallet industry- Using Norwood Lumbermate LM29

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

richhiway

Look for a guy with a mill or chainsaw mill to come to you. It would save a lot of time and handling. Check Craigslist.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seaman

I would be happy to come slab it for you with our Lucas slabber.
I get $2 per mile travel. and $85 per hour sawing.

Just let us know.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Kerrymr

Seaman, that would be great except the 300 miles is killing my budget on the deal. Surely someone in south ga/north fl has a slabber that they could come do it with. I found a great sawmill about 60 miles away that will do it for half the slabs but I haven't found a transporter yet to do it for a reasonable price. The rollbacks say they can't drag it on since it's so long and heavy.
Newbie to personal sawmilling- grew up in sawmill and pallet industry- Using Norwood Lumbermate LM29

Kerrymr

Thanks for the WDH, I reached out to BillyB but no response yet.

TKehl

Quote from: Kerrymr on February 25, 2017, 11:01:56 AM
The rollbacks say they can't drag it on since it's so long and heavy.

Have you talked to equipment (tractor, construction, etc.) haulers or just guys used to moving cars?  The equipment haulers have heavier rollbacks and winches.  A local tractor dealer or equipment rental yard would put you in the right direction and may even be able to do the work.  Got to figure they'll charge $3/mile one way (at least around here) plus a loading fee.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!