iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimensions saw

Started by 711ac, May 26, 2018, 08:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

711ac

One came up on c/l near me.
Is there an general consensus about them and their advantages & short comings? 
They have been around for as long as I can remember and pre date (as far as I know) portable band mills by century's. I have not priced them new, but they have many of the attributes of a hyd. b/m built in to them (blade travel, board pull back, no log manipulation once set) and the idea of pulling a finished board off after almost every pass is huge in my thinking.
This would be my first mill and am looking for input from those with experience sawing, hopefully without the "Ford vs. Chevy" brand loyalty influence. I'm trying to be realistic about my (up coming) physical abilities and know myself enough to realize that an all manual mill, band or swing will end up sitting a lot sooner than one requiring a lot less labor. I'm not decrepit and just built a 2 story addition on our place last summer, but those ache's & pains are getting more & not less. ;) 

47sawdust

No working knowledge here.Did consider a MD when first looking but the logs I saw most frequently are too small for the MD.They don't show up in the N.E.very often.I would buy it and run it.If it isn't a good match for you selling it would be pretty easy.

Good luck
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

DanG

The MD is an excellent mill for cutting dimension lumber, which is what it is specifically designed for. It is limited in the sizes of boards it can cut, but can be configured to handle any size log. On the plus side, it is probably the most user-friendly mill out there for a sawyer working alone. On the down side, Mobile Mfg. is going out of business. It remains to be seen how the availability of replacement parts will work out.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

I would make a forum search.  There are many topics and discussions about MD and also about the different model numbers.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

711ac

Quote from: DanG on May 26, 2018, 12:07:33 PM
 but can be configured to handle any size log.

On the down side, Mobile Mfg. is going out of business. It remains to be seen how the availability of replacement parts will work out.
Thanks Dan
I was wondering how it worked with smaller logs (10-16") understanding that the bigger, the better in terms of set up.
I had read about their being trouble between the Father & the siblings and they threw out Dad, and their site say's they are "re-locating" and not manufacturing at this time but taking orders. ?? I'd hate to see them gone with their long "pioneering" history in portable milling.

TKehl

Don't have a MD, but have a Lucas swinger and there are similarities.

As for smaller logs, part of it depends on what your setup is.  The MD can be set up around a log OR it can be set up on a frame in one spot to be fed logs off a deck.  The deck offsets most of the small log disadvantage since you don't move the setup each log.  This is/was an option straight from MD, but could be fabricated easily as well.  Plus, you can still move the mill to the log for the big 'uns.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

711ac

The mill's on a trailer and has the endstands & trailer jacks. 
It's more money (by a lot) than I ever thought about spending for my own lumber projects, but who knows what the future may bring. Sawing a few boards for someone now & then........
I gotta keep in mind that I can buy hemlock finished lumber for .50 b/f at several mill's under 1/2 hour away.
There are 2 guy's I know that are interested in going "in" together on a mill, none of us need a mill full time and it really makes a much better mill (feature wise) practical over settling for an entry level basic mill that I owned myself.

Can you see it? I'm talking myself right into this. :D

DanG

"The bigger the better" isn't necessarily true.  While it can be made to cut any size log, it looks like a big pain to set up.  I have sawed many, many 6" or 7" logs into 4x4s.  From a 10 incher you can get several 2x4s and 2x6s. The 16 inchers are really close to the ideal size.

I'm not sure what the company's status is right now. It seems that the story changes every time somebody brings it up. I hope that someone will take it up and keep it going.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SawyerTed

I looked seriously at MD sawmills.  I liked the concept a lot.  The concerns I had that took me in a different direction were:
1. Status of the company seemed very unstable so support and parts supply were questionable IMO
2.  The technology, while very functional, really was dated- VW engines etc. I was looking for something a bit more up to date.
3.  The used market was the only avenue to purchase - I would have tied up resources going after one further away that could be applied to purchase of a mill closer to me

YMMV
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

711ac

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 27, 2018, 10:12:54 AM
I looked seriously at MD sawmills.  I liked the concept a lot.  The concerns I had that took me in a different direction were:
1. Status of the company seemed very unstable so support and parts supply were questionable IMO
2.  The technology, while very functional, really was dated- VW engines etc. I was looking for something a bit more up to date.
3.  The used market was the only avenue to purchase - I would have tied up resources going after one further away that could be applied to purchase of a mill closer to me

YMMV
Ted I have the same concerns except #3. The saw is about 4 miles away from me. I just came back from looking at it. The fellow that owned it has passed and the son is trying to sell it for his Mom. It is a model 128, and mounted on a trailer. The VW motor only worries me a little. I rebuilt one when I was a kid and I think too many of them (VW's) are scattered all around the world from the past ?60 years for parts to dry up, especially with the internet. I think after talking with the son, the price will be the deal breaker. It seem's like he's convinced that it's worth $20k and sound's like he's not going to budge. It's hard to come up with any other MD saws (prices) either sold or for sale to argue against his price. I did find one sold at auction by the state of Georgia for $12k not long ago.
The 40+ year old "technology" is incredibly simple, right up my alley.  

TKehl

Price was a big factor for me as well.  Used MD were going for prices similar to new swing mills.  I ended up buying a used swing mill. 

The 128 is the newer model and generally comes with some nice upgrades.

There is a used MD of unknown model # or vintage for sale in my area for $12k.  FWIW

I do think that the MD can move you up to production type volumes if that is of interest.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

711ac

I'm trying to remember pic here. I got some I just put in my album, not doing something right to post them.
                  too small.

Well that's not right. I "drug" them to this post from my gallery.

DanG

The engine on the 128 is not just any old Volkswagen engine. It is the 1835 CI version that was only used in the VW Transporter truck. It also has an extended crankshaft with a large bearing cut into the output end of the case.  Mobile Mfg. has the right parts available but I don't know where you would find them if they go away.

Thank You Sponsors!