iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat for handling logs

Started by davemartin88, January 19, 2006, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sperry

I put steel tracks on my 773 a couple years ago. Sure made a big difference. I have to wear earplugs now but it will go about anywhere and rides alot better on rough ground. I got mine from my local Bobcat Dealer, if I recall right they were around 2k.

Tom_Averwater

We bought the tracks from Bobcat.  They are steel. Can't remember how much. They will tear up the ground pretty good, but it sure has good traction. Tracks are not something you want to use on somebodys grass too much.

The weight on the door is actually a counter weight from under an old '64 Ford van we scraped years ago. It is bolted to the door. Hope this helps . Tom
He who dies with the most toys wins .

davemartin88

Thanks again for the information. I saw a set of tracks at the dealer and they were steel, around $2200. At this point, we're not under any time pressures (like customers) so if it's too wet, we'll wait it out. We had a lot of wind yesterday and the ground dried up a lot, the guys did about 4 hours of milling today- about one more day and they should have all they need to start building the small equipment barn. I asked for a quote from Prowler oon some tracks but that was 3 days ago and haven't heard anything so doesn't look like that's worth a follow up if it's that hard to get a quote.

I tried to change the grapple out today for the pallet forks but can't get the grapple to release from the boom, the arm is only moving about 45 degrees and not pulling the locking pin out, tried a pipe, a hammer, etc. but will have to step back and figure out what's going on. When the Bobcat arrived about 2 weeks ago, it had a bucket on and the delivery guy installed the grapple, the bucket came right off and the grapple went on very easy (except for one of the hydraulic lines which was a bear) so didn't even think there might be a problem.

Will call the dealer tomorrow to see what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again for the information and follow up posts.

Ironwood

Dave,

I do not own one but rent them frequently as well as Bobcat trackhoes. They are great little machines. The tracks are awsome for work the unit to it's potential. These units are highly engineered as tated about the counterweight then throwing the balance off. I rented one this fall to spread 220+ ton of finely ground asphalt. We have such a steep drive that we have had sleding parties on it in the winter, to make a long story short going down with a medium grind bucket of asphalt no problem. Wiz back grab a finer grind off the pile,,,,,,,down the hill.............oooohhhhhh. Darn thing was so dense that this time I end up going OVER :o I stopped just over perpendicular to to the, well........ sea level, which on this hill puts my rear wheels way over my head. The thing is soo far over (the bucket raised as I panicked) that it is not able to do anything!!! I call my wife who is expected back at anytime "Honey if you see the Bobcat in the drive don't panic I am OK". Crawl out (good thing I am not too big) and go get my BIG rough terrain forklift. It rights the thiing from the downhill side with some real "English' as the hill is DanG steep.

I also trashed a really nice dual spindle shaper with one as my forklift was down and I used the 763 to move the machine, needless to say the hydros are very fast, very fast.

Point is great machine, highly engineered and things can happen FAST. Not much margin for error given their engineering.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Corbo223

I have the T190 & T200 with the grapples from bobcat and they work perfect for sorting my saw logs and firewood.You be able to do a whole lot with skidsteer
Just not enough time in the day

little-guy

well guys ...i have a 95, 743B Bobcat (my 3rd machine over the years ) and i really dont know what i would do without it now.have made grapples for moving logs around the mill and yard ,plus have a back-hoe attachment for the hole digging ..lol.I run different skid steers at work .. but the Bobcat seems to be the best put together and it stands up to H- - -...and still wants more ..
Cec
you gotta be happy playing with your toys ..mine are ..norwood lumberlite 24 ,743 bobcat and 1950 John Deere 4010 crawler

davemartin88

Thanks for the replies and the cautions- I've already seen how quickly things can happen so will be extra careful! The quick attach levers were just a bit tight, nothing a short piece of pipe for leverage couldn't solve. Ended up cutting a piece of chain link fence post to the exact size to lay on the back deck above the oil cooler, seems to ride fine there and will have it for future needs.

Yesterday I switched a few times between the bucket, the forks, and the grapple as I did a few things around the yard- also pulled a few logs that were down up to the sawmill so we can use them this week. No problems with removing the attachments at all and surprising how quickly that can be done- except for the grapple, getting the hydraulic lines is tough. Without the short pipe clamp, not sure I could get them on- guess I'm just a wimp. :)

Great tool so far, picked up the service and parts manuals off ebay just in case something comes up later.

Little-guy- the guy I'm working with on my equipment barn had a 743 and loved it, he was the one who encouraged me to go with a Bobcat once I started looking.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Brad_S.

QuoteThe quick attach levers were just a bit tight, nothing a short piece of pipe for leverage couldn't solve
Shouldn't be. Forcing them can bend the levers and make it even harder because the angle will be wrong or it will snap the bolt holding the lever and spring. These things I know. ::)

There should be a grease fitting that will allow you to grease them. For some reason, mine doesn't have it, maybe yours doesn't either. In that case, there is a pin that you hammer out that allows the whole securing rod to come out. A good wire brushing and some grease will go along way toward making your life easier.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ironmule2004

My friend has a 1080c that he loaned me a few times before I bought a bell.  It has a 16" shear head and like a 26" directional felling head.  It weighs around 16,000 lbs with the tracks on it.  I don't know the lift capacity of it but it is "much of a man!"

IronMule

TexasTimbers

I'd take the Cat O' Nine Tails before I'd give up mine. It's an old Daewoo but it just keeps on goin. Book says the tipping weight without counterweights is 1350lbs but  I have lifted a pallet of 22 bags of 80# sackrete and no tilt, although I could tell I was light in the rear. So I jump out and step gingerly onto the pallet and my 180# (soakin wet) put it over. I have counterweights on my to-do list but haven't done it yet.
I always seem to find a way to get stuff loaded with it that you'd say "No way can you load THAT with THAT!"
They can be dangerous though. A fella must not fear it but respect it or it will spank you.
When I bought mine the prev owner had wired around both safety's (seat belt AND lap bar) and after awhile when I felt like I knew it all I quit bucklin up all the time. Once I was picking up a little 'ol 1000#er log and I got in a hurry and did.t pull down the bar or buckle up. I got careless and jammed the sticks forward all the way on  bumpy terrain and the log started dancin all over the forks and was rockin my world. My instinct was to back all the way off and when I did it really rocked back and forth and tilted violently and suddenly forward and spit me out faster than you can say "Buckle up ya stupid moron!".  I'm not totally devoid of learnin ability tho. By the time the log had been tossed off the forks and landed and rolled backward to near where my my head was, and I was laying there between it and the machine, I had already figured out to always:
1) Buckle up, even on short "safe" runs.
2) Lower the load prior to moving, not "while" moving, especially on rough terrain.
3) Double check rules #1 and #2.

Still, I need a bigger machine.

I've seriously been considering getting one of these monsters .... what do you think?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ely

dave, brad is correct, i use a good amount of spray lube on my levers and all those workings associated with them. helps greatly otherwise i too need a small cheater to get them moving sometimes.

davemartin88

Quote from: ely on January 30, 2006, 09:45:10 PM
dave, brad is correct, i use a good amount of spray lube on my levers and all those workings associated with them. helps greatly otherwise i too need a small cheater to get them moving sometimes.

Thanks- I've used Rust Reaper to loosen things up and greased the fittings, much smoother now but still a bit tight but feel like they're starting to loosen up a bit more.

cjg

davemartin88

I'm new!

Re: Bobcat for handling logs
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2006, 01:58:09 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies and the cautions- I've already seen how quickly things can happen so will be extra careful! The quick attach levers were just a bit tight, nothing a short piece of pipe for leverage couldn't solve. Ended up cutting a piece of chain link fence post to the exact size to lay on the back deck above the oil cooler, seems to ride fine there and will have it for future needs.

Yesterday I switched a few times between the bucket, the forks, and the grapple as I did a few things around the yard- also pulled a few logs that were down up to the sawmill so we can use them this week. No problems with removing the attachments at all and surprising how quickly that can be done- except for the grapple, getting the hydraulic lines is tough. Without the short pipe clamp, not sure I could get them on- guess I'm just a wimp.

Great tool so far, picked up the service and parts manuals off ebay just in case something comes up later.

Little-guy- the guy I'm working with on my equipment barn had a 743 and loved it, he was the one who encouraged me to go with a Bobcat once I started looking.

Thanks again for the follow up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I to have a bobcat 743 and when changing attachments that use hydraulics, I find it best to shut the machine off and release any pressure in the system by activating the aux hydraulics both ways ( mine is on the left sick, dont know about electric over hydraulic) and the quick connects slide on with ease. Hope this helps someone out there.
  smiley_bull_stomp

Thank You Sponsors!