iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Forum

Started by brb, April 04, 2011, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brb

Good Morning Everyone,
I bought myself an old circle mill a couple of years ago and am now trying to get it rebuilt and set up. I stumbled upon this great board full of information and inspiration. New to the whole sawmill thing but have been fascinated by it for 20 years. I will have questions, but I will try to search past posts as not to get redundant. I will try to upload pictures as soon as I can, maybe you guys will be able to help me indentify the make as only one corner of the ID plate remains.
Thanks For Being Here,
Brian

Wick

Timber Harvester 30HT25

thecfarm

brb,welcome to the forum.Ask away if you want,and look around too. Lots of infro.You'll be able to help others with questions in no time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

brb, welcome to forestry forum!  Its a great place! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Sprucegum

Welcome BRB, good to here another circle mill is being saved  8)

Magicman

Welcome brb, to the Forestry Forum.  Don't spend all of your time searching.  Hop on here and share more about yourself and the circle mill that you are restoring.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a handy circular sawmill reference book by Stan Lunstrum (if you don't already have a copy).

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Welcome brb .... you will like it here.....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

red oaks lumber

ah a fellow ceddarhead, welcome to the forum
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome to the forum brb.....I enjoy hearing about other folks circle mill restoration projects....will be looking for the pics soon.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Woodbuzzer

Welcome aboard BRB 8).Good luck on your mill project.Hope to see some pics of it soon.Ive had 2 Frick mills in the past and am searching for my 3rd.Once you get it in your blood youll never be able get rid of it,but it is a great addiction though :)-Buzz
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

bandmiller2

Welcome Brian,theirs quite a bit to consider when setting up a circular mill, elevations and locations.Before I set up my first mill I looked at probibly six mills and watched them operate.What struck me was how efficient some sawyers were in certin aspects yet some parts of their operation just slowed them down.I tried to take some of the best ideas from each mill.A good foundation is job one,everything must be heavy and well supported.A good log weighs about a ton and the carriage anouther ton thats two tons you have to start and stop and roll over your ways.It will be one of your most interesting projects you'll never look at trees the same way.Ask anything Brian we've all been where you are,milling is like learning to ride a bicycle you just have to do it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

brb

Thanks for all the positive responses! I am looking forward to this group keeping me moving and motivated on this project. As promised I have some pictures. I can only start with the carriage for now. Looking for help to identify the make. As you will see it has a few things most don't, like the Duct tape covered tensioner pulley and the vise for a stop on the setworks. Any suggetions will be helpful.  The last picture is of the side of the middle head block any ideas what this was for? I don't know what is all original, but pretty cool trying to look back in history and figure out the story. Like the day the vise wsa installed.
Looks like you will have to click on the photos to get good details, not the best pics.

Thanks, Brian

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

brb

Third times a charm!!!    Thanks, Jeff

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Brian,much of that carriage and setworks looks homemade.The beveled gear with belt tensioner looks to be the receder, used to back off the headblocks to make room for a new log without having to pump it back with the setworks.Nice old Hough, a little awkward but handy around the mill, especially with forks.You asked about the "L" shaped bracket in the last picture I think the old boy had a beam running between two of the headblocks at one time,I've seen that before,usally to mount the "beam style" headblock between.Can't recognize the brand from the photos mayby with pictures of the husk we can tell,probibly a mix of factory and homemade. Frank C.

brb

Thanks guys, the trailer I built last year and the old Hough is waiting for an enginge transplant in a few weeks.
I think your right about a mix of parts. I believe the original frame work would have been wood because of the mount I see on the trucks. The setworks look to be half and half, somebodys work wasn't the greatest. I will be looking for photos of the stops on a more original type setworks so I can get rid of the welded on bolt adjustment and the vise backstop. The L bracket is so bent up that I don't know the original shape, or where it was aimed. Seems like some quality parts and some hokey fab work, but I still learning so I can't say for sure. I did have a gentleman in the shop yesterday that thought it was an American. ??? Did offer to buy it though. I will try to get the pics of the husk this weekend.  Brian

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Brian. Always great to have another Bombardier owner ( and sawyer/woodnut)  ;D ;D

Good luck with your mill.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

brb

Thanks Sprucebunny. Is that a J5? Looks awesome! Mine is a SW48, first winter with her, works pretty well for skidding logs. Another project that needs cleaning and paint.

sprucebunny

Yes, a J5.
Several members have SW48s. Great machines !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bandmiller2

Brian,if anyone can recognize the brand of mill it probibly will be from that beval gear receeder on the carriage.Most older mills were locally built,chances are a local sawyer would recognize it.Don't rush, the woods are full of old abandoned mills ask around,their all close enough so you can mix and match parts.At times I had the parts from three or four mills around, cherry picked the best stuff. Frank C.

brb

Thanks Frank, I have always got my eyes open for anything that might be of use, they seem to be getting more scarce. Heard a few that have gone for scrap. I am gonna put together what I have for now, since it seems to all be functional, just some crudness to it. I can take care of most of that though. I do have one I might have a chance to look at in the near future.

papow22

Quote from: beenthere on April 04, 2011, 02:24:18 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a handy circular sawmill reference book by Stan Lunstrum (if you don't already have a copy).

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

Thanks to beenthere I'll get understand of circle sawmill that MY Late father left me. ::) eh eh
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Thank You Sponsors!