iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tis the Season

Started by DR Buck, December 10, 2016, 11:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I don't know what has happened, but business has exploded.   8)    I'm getting 3 to 5 calls a week now for milling and another 2 or 3 for kiln drying.  I don't want to be this busy especially when it's cold outside.   :D   

I been passing off most of the jobs to a couple local full time Sawyers I normally send referrals to.     I've even had a couple calls for wide slab milling.   I'm going to have to start thinking about that Lucas dedicated  slabber again.    ;) 

Have any of you other guys experienced a jump in milling requests?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tnaz

Blame it on TRUMP... :D :D :D

Bruno of NH

Yes I'm very busy
I even milled today at 20f with a wind chill of around 5f
Milling on Sunday to
I don't like the cold much any more but think I will be milling this winter when I'm not in the plow truck
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Mine has picked up a little lately and I just have to wait for the right weather and piddle around the house sawing some stock and small jobs till things warm up or dry out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nomad

Winter is normally my busy season here, but it's more so than usual right now.  But most of that is fallout from hurricane Mathew so far.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

jmouton

winter is generally slow for us too, but we have been getting  at least 2-3 calls a day for something ,  they  dont always pan out but its keeping us  busy,  not to mention we are getting about 10 inches of snow right now ,  so snow plowing first and try to clean mill area out so we can get to logs ,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

ncsawyer

I have been slammed since mid October.  I only mill on the weekends since I have a full-time job, but have milled every weekend since mid October and have a waiting list. Usually this is the time of year that I get caught up and do some milling for my projects, but not this year.  I am not complaining though.  It sure is nice to have the extra cash, especially with a new baby (our 4th, all age 4 and under) on the way.

During the month of November, I actually brought home more money from sawing lumber than I did my regular job, and I think I do pretty darn good at my regular job. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

bandmiller2

Folks tend to put off projects when the weather is hot then with the threat of cold/snow they want it done right now. I always get busy in the fall just when I want to roam the woods looking for birds. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

scully

As of today I have 3 jobs to do . My mill is set up in my friends mill barn which is a huge help . I won't tow it on snow covered roads .  I have never had work this late in the season nor have I looked for it .  So far it's working out great .  I love retirement !
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I got two more calls yesterday.  I am putting them off until January, but that could be dangerous.  I might stack January too tight.  Probably the next call I will say that I am probably into February.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Yes it is it seems, how fitting to be sawing Ecr, as well ASA very nice PO, nice figure and color,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Sixacresand

Tis always the milling season for me when it is not hot.  Merry Christmas to everyone on the Forum. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I got my first call offering free logs a couple days ago. They are a local tree service who got my name from someone else and I still can't place the person who gave it to them. Anyway, I got 15 White pine logs about 2000-2500 bf or better and the best part is I think they will be calling with more. Next time I may just offer them a little gas money to see if they will delver as may be cheaper and easier than me using my time and undersized equipment. They said if I had not taken these they would have just dumped them over the hill.

Lots of these things just take time to get the word of mouth networking going.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!