iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2300 Chimney Clean-out Cap Launch

Started by doctorb, January 30, 2014, 08:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Got out to my stove last evening, which has been running very well through this 2 week arctic freeze, and noticed the access cap for the chimney clean-out was missing.  No fire, minimal smoke, the boiler was at 192 degrees and idling at that time.  It was dark and I couldn't find the cap!  Fortunately, with snow still covering the ground here, I located it some 30 feet away from the back of the stove.  It is very slightly downhill, so it coiuld have rolled some, but I saw no evidence of that.

Has anyone else ever had this cap blow off the back of their chimney before?  I am in my 5th year with my 2300 and have never had this problem.  After my yearly cleaning of the chimney area, I replace the cap and use a couple of small set screws, partially inserted, to "lock" the access cap in place.  To insert these screws, the holes in the cap must line up with the holes in the chimney, so I know the cap was aligned properly.  Apparently these wiggled out prior to the launch.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

firechief

Never had that issue with my 2300 also now in my 5th season. Would have loved to see it happen.  Ran like a trooper through the "polar vortex".

Glad it all worked out and found cap.

firechief

Haven't opened mine in awhile but if I remember correctly, doesn't the cap twist and "lock" in place and then the screws are inserted ?

If so, it really must have wiggled quite a bit to prepare for launch.

r.man

Check for distortion in the screw area, my money is on blunt force popping screws and all.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Shotgun

Glad you were able to find your chimney cap, Doc. 

It seems that some folks on the edge between fantasy and reality get accused of having a 'loose screw'.  Apparently Doc has two loose screws.     :D

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

stratford 50

My buddy had this happen also on his e- classic same vintage. I have noticed on my 2300 that once in a great while when the furnace is starting up after some idle time there will be a small explosion out through the stack, no damage but lots of black smoke and then the furnace runs fine. I'm thinking the gasses have accumulated and when the fan comes on the gasses ignite.

brokentoe

It's happened to me before and what Stratford just explained was also what my dealer told me.  Not a big deal.  Glad you found the cleanout cap!  Mine was just laying below the chimney tee.

stratford 50

My furnace did 3 small puffs this morning while I was standing by the chimney cleanout cap. Some of the smoke came through the cap and the rest vented through the stack. I'm wondering if coals and ash cover the inlet opening to the reaction chamber after the last burn and with a tight door seal once the fan builds enough pressure it puffs through the stack. just a thought.

bobby s

Same thing happened to me a few nights ago. I loaded up my 2300 and started walking away. Got about 30' when I heard a loud boom and saw a puff of soot come out of the stack. Wasn't enough to knock the cap off.

ecrane99

Happened to my eclassic 2300 last year.  it landed only a few feet away.  I don't use the cap screws.

Ed
Ed

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Logging logginglogging

I don't use those screws either, I do sometimes get a jet engine type flame out the top when I am filling the stove. I like it as I know its cleaning out the pipe when it does this.

doctorb

I have had that experience too.  I domwhen there's snow everywhere or it's raining really hard.

stratford 50

@ 6:00 am after 12 hours of burn time on a clean furnace it had an explosion enough to shake the snow off  the top of the furnace. It pushed smoke out the front door gasket and the clean out cap and there was black smoke coming out the stack. This is the loudest explosion I've seen in 5 years of operation. It startled me to say the least.

WI Fire

I'm on the 3rd or 4th(?) season of operating an E-2300 that I bought used and reconditioned by CB. It came with a stainless snap-on ring that goes around the cover, and connects to the end pipe. I always wondered why it was there, now I guess I know! Glad you found the cap.

Thank You Sponsors!