iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ashes Bucket

Started by Magicman, February 04, 2014, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_man

Al you are using the wrong lighting fluid!!!!!!! splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Al_Smith

Say I cleaned out the ashes today,big deal .What a coal bucket and a half from about a face cord of dry ash .

Now why in the world does anybody think ash produces a bunch of ash .The name maybe ?

SwampDonkey

Sounds about right for most any good firewood. But I like to clean mine more often. But I never saw any wood that never made ashes, so when I read about never having to clean the ashes most of the winter....whatever.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well now that promps another tale from the cornfield .

My old buddy hooked up a corn cob burner laundry stove to about a 35 foot chimeny in an old farm house .He just opened up the draft and it sucked the ashes out .It's a wonder he didn't catch the place on fire .

He burnt little short pieces of wood in that thing which was close to his refridgerater .That little stove got so hot it caused the refridgerater to go spastic  and it froze everything inside it .Perhaps not a grand plan .

Logging logginglogging

I usually use old sap buckets, and a metal wheelbarrle. you have to be carefull with the new metal wheelberrles thogh because some have plastic shims, and hardware under a metal pan.

Magicman

I also cleaned the ashes out today and loaded the insert with wood and a couple of fat splinters. 

It is forecast to reach the mid 20's Wednesday night and Thursday.  fire_smiley  Burrrrr.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Magicman on February 24, 2014, 09:46:16 PM
I also cleaned the ashes out today and loaded the insert with wood and a couple of fat splinters. 

It is forecast to reach the mid 20's Wednesday night and Thursday.  fire_smiley  Burrrrr.

Mid 20's MM?
That would be somewhat of a heatwave  up here!

SwampDonkey

Still cold when there is no heat. ;D If you heat with wood, still required to be burnt to make that heat. -30 below or 20 above it's still gotta burn. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

It's 40° this morning and I lit that splinter.    fire_smiley  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Well I used the coal buckets again last night and got the typical bucket and a half .Lets see now,8 Feb.,18 Feb ,Mar 1 .

Where did those folks go to that said ash produces a lot of ashes ? That's a cord of wood and what 4 and half buckets of ashes .

SwampDonkey

I'd guess their ashes is incomplete burns (charcoals) from not enough air. ;D

Al_Smith

Well you know some times it is questionable .What the hey in a wood stove all ya gotsta do is stir the ashes with a poker .They'll all burn up .

I don't even let the fire go out .Fetch my welding gloves and pile the coals on one side and scoop out the other side .What goes in the bucket is powder not charcoal .Gets a tad hot though reaching the back of that thing at times .Longer shovel maybe .

SwampDonkey

I stir just before adding wood, but if I let it burn out there is nothing but powder. Do that in the fall and spring when it's too hot for a fire all day. I also clean like you, but long ago I got a small spade with a long handle to clean out the ash and keep the coals to one side or just shake them off the shovel. Nothing too complicated, keep it simple. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!