iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on trailers.

Started by oakiemac, October 09, 2005, 06:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I'm looking at eventually getting a gooseneck trailer to hual tractor and bobcat, lumber, logs. I have been looking at the flatbed(deck over) models because then I could load lumber with a fork lift or then just roll logs off the deck if I was at a location that didn't have a lift.
My concerns with the flatbed type is that the bobcat might ride too high and have a tendency to tip over when going around corners because center of gravity is higher. Also it might be harder to load with bobcat because you don't have the fenders to guide by and the deck would be higher off ground so longer ramps are needed.
Does anyone use the flatbed trailer for everything like this? I think I might be trying to get too much out of one trailer but it sure would be handy to have the flatbed type for logs and lumber. I'm just not sure about the equipment part of it.
Also I'm pretty convinced about getting gooseneck but does anyone have any pros/cons on this type verus the bumper pull type? ???
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Corley5

This our trailer it's got a 21' deck with a 5' pop up beavertail that'll give you 26' of flat deck, pull out ramps for loading and a 14,000 GVWR.  I've loaded many a tractor on by backing them on but we've got a 12,000 Warn on the front of it and I'd just as soon pull a machine on that I'm not familar with.  I don't like driving on front ward because of a tendency for them to rear up.  I witnessed just such an accident at a tractor pull that was almost the end of an old boy. :(  We've hauled lumber, hay, slabs, tractors, dozers, cars, industrial equipment etc and wouldn't have anything else.  Haven't hauled any logs on it now that I'm thinking about but wouldn't hesitate with good stakes.  It pulls much better than tag along trailer I've ever dealt with.  People aren't as apt to want to borrow one either ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paul_H

Oakie,
I had some of the same concerns when we rebuilt our gooseneck trailer but decided to mount the springs on the axle instead of underslung so it would have better off-road clearence.I have had some really big loads of logs on the trailer stacked up high and haven't had any problem with feeling tippy but have had long logs sticking way out the back that tend to lift the back end of the truck when we hit a bump.

The next add on to the trailer will be a set of ramps for the Case 1840.The trailer is higher than I would have liked but we'll have to make do.One of the options is to have the ramps attach 6" below the deck to lessen the angle of the ramps.I think the ramps are going to have to be long  :-\

Nice trailer Greg 
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

Go with the flat deck trailer.  Loading equipment is not a problem, with a good set of ramps.  The dovetail helps, too.  Center of gravity isn't a problem as long as you remember that you ain't drivin' a sports car.  Weight distribution is less of a factor with a gooseneck, and they pull better on the road.  Backing a gooseneck takes a bit of practice if you're used to backing a tag trailer, but tight turns are easier as long as you remember that the GN doesn't follow the truck as closely.  Ya gotta allow a bit more room in a tight corner, but you can do a u-turn in the same space you can turn your truck around in.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brian_Rhoad

I have a 24' deck over gooseneck that I use to haul logs, lumber and equipment. I haul a Bobcat 943 skid loader with no problems. I have hauled my JD 440 log skidder on it with no problems also. You just have to drive according to your load. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't overload the truck or trailer.

oakiemac

Thanks all. Good information as usual.
Confirmed what I thought but I just wanted to see if anyone else had a different perspective. Now the only problem is coming up with the cash :-\ Momma says I might have to wait a while and I think she is right.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!