iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garrett 10

Started by Mickey72, July 22, 2013, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey72

My dad picked up a Garrett 10 a while  back. I was helping him look for a front axle. Who knew they would be so hard to find. The previous owner had run the machine without lube in the front differential. In any case after a long search my dad finally found another Garrett 10 the other day and finally got it home. This one has a plate on the front and back with Can Car on it. I am assuming it was produced right after the transition to Can Car. Anyway it is a complete machine. It hasn't been running for many years and there is some water in the oil pan. If anyone can give any additional information on the second machine that would be great. Also are there any differences between the earlier machines and the later machines that I should watch out for.

I will get some pics posted shortly.

John Woodworth

If the axle is all you need, late 60's-70's 1 1/5 ton Ford or Dodge and have machine shop cut the splilned end down, can't remember but it's a inch or so too long, pull the other axle for length, the carrier is 11/5 Ford also only has 8.3 to 1 ratio.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Mickey72

He needed the ring and pinion as well. Now he has another machine for donor parts. Now that I have better internet access I will be able to get the pics posted this weekend.

Mickey72

Ok so I finally got the pictures loaded into the album. I will post them here. You will notice the skidder with the front axle installed I think is the newer one since it has the Can Car plate welded on the grill guard and the rear bump plate.

beenthere

Mickey
Hard to sort out the "old" and the "new" in the pics, but assume the last pic shows the "new" purchase on the left and the project started last year on the right.

Did the "new" purchase help you with where the fuel tank goes, besides behind the seat?

And now, do you have the dilemma as to which one to fix up, and which one to rob from ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mickey72

Yes they are a bit hard to tell new and old. The new purchase is the last few pics. We found the fuel tank placement actually goes above the engine under the hood. My dad got a complete ford industrial power unit. It is the same set up as the engine on the skidder with the correct fuel tank.

My dad plans to fix up the older one since it is a little older not being a Can Car. The older one appears to be in a little better condition all around.

One thing that we notice is different the Can Car model spoked wheels where the older on has more solid wheels so the spoked wheels must be a Can Car thing.

The Can Car model also seems to have lighter tubing for the canopy.

I expect him to start work on it next spring after he completes some of his other projects. I will post pictures as I get them.

mad murdock

They will make a nice machine!  I really like my model 15A Garrett!  Where are you located? (Update yer profile). Just curious, there are more Garrett's about out here in the PNW, closer to their birthplace, Enumclaw Washington.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Please do post pictures of the project.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Woodworth

to start with the fuel tank does not go under the hood, it is in the correct location under the seat, your Garrett is the same as my 10 and it was new in 1964, the Can Car is a copy of it with different blade,rollcage and wheels, the next evolution of 10's used a diffrent frame and different chainbox.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!