iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

:D :D
A bit like when I order steak and eggs and they ask "How do you like your steak", and I say "over easy". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

well we tried the holiday blend.  trying to find one coffee for wife and I both.  I brew it strong, and Georgia regular.  I am glad we like it ok, cause my wife ordered a couple of what we thought were small boxes, but they came from Sam's and they are the big boxes.   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 06, 2022, 05:18:00 PMMy requirements for coffee is that it must smell like coffee
The Starbucks "Holiday Blend" failed that test for me.  It actually did not have much/any smell and did not taste like coffee.  It was more like that Green Mountain Black Magic that I tried which was also... smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

I'm far from poor but I am thrifty :D, I like most coffees as long as they are reasonably freshly brewed, no instant, black no additions, today I bought 4 cans of Hills Brothers coffee at Rural King, 30.5 oz cans @ $4.99 each, good enough for us.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

aigheadish

Interesting the rolling rock is not cheap up there, you aren't that far away. We've got $20 30 packs and 5 buck 6 pack bottles.

Back on the coffee. I've been off work this week and switched back to the French press. It makes a substantially better cup of coffee but the clean up is still an issue. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Might as well prepare it the way you like it. Only going through life once. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kelLOGg

A friend gave us a container of Chicory. I had never tried it but have known of it a long time. Sort of an earthy taste but I took a liking to it and will look for more when I run out. No caffeine but that is my preference; I don't need the jolt it offers. I haven't read all 20 pages of this thread so I don't know if others drink it. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Crossroads

I enjoy 2-3 cups from the kureg while I preheat my thermos and make a full pot in the Bunn. No cream no sugar, no point in ruining a perfectly good cup of coffee 😁 most of my mobile jobs are at least an hour drive. So, I have plenty of time to work on the thermos on my way to and from work and I've been known to pour a cup while making a cut. 8' logs give me more coffee for the ride home 🤓
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Don P

I've known about chicory but have never tried it. I think it was in one of them .. JFG coffee? So is it just bits of dark roasted root ground up?

I need a steady jolt, and a kick in the rear to get going anymore  :D

SwampDonkey

Chicory was a coffee substitute during the war years up here. The stuff grows like tall weeds along the roads, a lavender color flower on it.

I'm wondering if folks used groundnuts that way? It's a rare plant here, never seen it. All I come up with is roasted and ground up for a thickener for soups or added to bread flour.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kelLOGg

I understand it is the root of the plant that is dried and ground very coarsely. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

doc henderson

we used to mix it half and half when making a 12 cup pot.  a nurse at work gave us some as her husband had bought a big bag and she was trying to share/get rid of it.  I would say it was ok, and no real addition or subtraction from the taste of the coffee.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

I always thought it had a bitter wang.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

that was about 15 years ago.  I know we thought it was fine, but no memorable improvement in taste.  some used it to stretch coffee which is expensive at times.

SwampDonkey

Handwoven banner for the coffee lounge. ;D

thecfarm

Is the banner some of your work?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on February 05, 2023, 08:25:16 AM
Is the banner some of your work?
Yes, it was just taken off the loom last week. A couple days ago I got some 5/8" dowel rod (which looks like tulip poplar) and tacks to mount and hang it. Woven in satin (orange) and sateen (black).

Crossroads

I had a customer a few years ago who was pretty proud of his coffee and insisted he replace what was in my cup with a fresh cup of his. I'm not a coffee snob by any means, there were many nights on graveyard that I would go by the rewind shack on #3 paper machine and get a cup of coffee that had been sitting on the burner for way to long. I have to admit his coffee was exceptional, it was smooth and had a nice flavor. As it turns out, he buys the green coffee beans and roasts them himself. After that I decided to try my hand at roasting coffee beans. I wasn't about to spend $1000 on the roaster he used, instead I bought a ceramic one that goes on the stove top. It's kind of a pain roasting it on the stove (outside), but it is a nice treat. Maybe one day I'll buy a real roaster, I see one that would serve my needs for about $500. Anyone else played with roasting your own beans?
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Firewoodjoe

Lots lol all day. Nothing in it. I try to limit myself to one pot. But that seldom happens. 

barbender

I like coffee. Just some cream in it to cut the acidity, otherwise I get heartburn. My Grandad was known for putting a nip of brandy in his coffee, I never tried that😊
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

My grandpa drank regular brewed coffee the rest of people could drink, but he stirred in two heaping teaspoons of Folgers crystals.  I was two and drank the same coffee, but mine was 7/8th milk and a splash of coffee.  my dad drank it black with two heaping teaspoons of sugar.  

Firewoodjoe

My family has bad hearts. The doctors keep telling us coffee can be bad. Cut back. Got dad on decaf. After two cups. Gramps was 84 had one heart attack and drank only coffee after his one morning cup of water. Hated milk. 🤷‍♂️ Who knows. I say live it. 

SwampDonkey

Two cups of no frills coffee in the morning 1/4 teaspoon sugar and an once of milk. Does it for me. ;D I steer clear of coffee shops. Our cream up here is tainted with carageenan, I wouldn't touch that stuff for anything. Not even canned milk, which is full of it to.

Patrick NC

Good old maxwell house Colombian for me. 2-3 20oz cups with a splash of whole milk and half a teaspoon of sugar.  I don't like drip style coffee makers. Been using an electric percolator for 20 years now. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

doc henderson

Thank You Sponsors!