iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly Maple

Started by Firewood dealer, December 15, 2017, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Can you put it in the garage or under a shed roof first?  I would be concerned with stump green maple going into that dry of a space, it might end up really, really, curly.  Darrel probably has no idea what a door yard is either.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

Goose Lake (Laveview) has an outlet that flows right into the north fork of the Pit River.  Only problem is that it's been something like 110 years since water levels have been high enough to achieve any significant out flow. So no fishing.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

Quote from: Southside logger on December 17, 2017, 10:42:06 AM
Darrel probably has no idea what a door yard is either.

Hmmm. . . . . Could it be a 3 foot door? :D ;D :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

My suggestion would be to saw some thick blocks too, you can probably find someone making gun stocks, knife handles, bowl turning, etc. You could also sell "Fiddle-Back Maple" boards for, well, fiddle-backs. (Although instrument makers can be fussy about wood, because musicians can be fussy...)      :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Firewood dealer

S.L.
Yes I can put it outside under cover. Do you think if I left it out to air dry it would be dry enough in about a year?

Resoator
Actually, I was thinking about having some thicker blocks sawn out of it, I have a good friend that does a little guitar building and he would love to have some raw stock like that.

Ianab

QuoteDo you think if I left it out to air dry it would be dry enough in about a year?

Depending on the season and your local climate, 1" boards will only take a couple of months to "air" dry. Once the moisture is under ~20%, then it should be safe to bring inside and complete the drying. Below that MC it wont grow mold or fungus, and it's hard to mess it up by drying too slow or too fast.

Drying is slower in winter, and thicker boards will take longer of course.

Get a cheap moisture meter. Doesn't have to be super accurate for this sort of thing. If the wood reads around 17% +/- 2, then you can assume it's under 20%, and you can call it "air dried". Bring it inside, restack the boards, aim a couple of fans at them, and complete the drying in an "inside" environment.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Firewood dealer

Thanks. I have a moisture meter from drying firewood so I should be able to keep an eye on it.

Sawmill Man

If these are going into the water as fish traps , why are yall all concerned about moisture content?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Firewood dealer

Good Question. All I can think of is if it is not reasonably dry initially, the hardware that is attached to it may become quite loose as it does dry. I guess I do not really know. This is my first attempt to build some. In the past, I have only had store bought ones and those are typically made out of cheap ugly wood. One good thing about all of this is, if the fish are not biting, at least I can stand there admire some good looking traps!!  ;D

WV Sawmiller

If it was me I'd sell the pretty lumber and buy some ugly traps - but that's just me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

With my luck pretty tip ups would be the same as expensive sunglasses - get run over the first time I used them.  The cheap / ugly ones however seem to last for years. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Don P

If you made tourist traps out of them and sold them down in Freeport they would look good under a glass coffee table top and would never get wet.

Southside

Yea - but then you have to get a rainbow mounted to go with them, plus how do you tie a Mickey Finn onto a steel leader? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

JRWoodchuck

Quote from: Darrel on December 17, 2017, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: Southside logger on December 17, 2017, 10:42:06 AM
Darrel probably has no idea what a door yard is either.

Hmmm. . . . . Could it be a 3 foot door? :D ;D :D

Im going to guess it's how they buy doors..... By the yard?
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

qbilder

Before you mill the log, may I suggest that you cut a cookie from the end of the log and break it in half. It only has to be a couple inches. It'll be immediately revealed to you how the grain is formed and how best to saw it for showing the figure. What you'll see is that the curly figure shows perpendicular to the bark, meaning that quarter sawing will reveal it best. The better quarter sawed it is, the more figure it'll show. Plain sawing will serve you no justice, as it'll show the curl strongest on the edge of the board, not across the face of it. But don't take my word for it. Cut a cookie so that you and the sawyer know without a doubt how to expose the figure.   
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!