iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire boots

Started by trentausherman, March 31, 2009, 03:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtroll

The ankle support on the high end boots (nick's or whites) is great. The price is hard to swallow. My boss (wife) did not buy the math of expensive boots till I handed her a worn out pair of cheap boots in a year. The tread wore off, ankle leather shot. The boot could not be rebuilt. We went back to good boots. I have put a lot of hard wear in the Ozark hills, (ever bit as rough as the west) steep hills and sharp rocks. Plus the mid western humidity will rot your boots out. I would think rebuild able boots would be a plus.
My last pug for Nick's they have excellent costumer service, They called and made sure of all my sizes, answered all my questions, and do not skimp on quality. If you think your White's are tough hold them side by side to Nick's.

Ron Scott

Get the best boot that you can afford, it's a front end investment on your feet which will get a work out, especially if you will spend long hours on the fire line in steep, rugged terrain. There are often quick flights in to the fire, but long walks out after a days stress on the feet.

To quote the U.S. Forest Service: "The Forest Service will provide you Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) clothing, hardhat and fire shelter, but you must provide your own lug soled, leather eight-inch topped boots."

What they mean is that your boots should be at least 8" high. We think higher is better since it offers more protection and doesn't add much weight... most of the weight in boots is in the tough sole and heel... so you can add a bit more height for protection without adding much weight.

The U.S. Forest Service Health and Safety Code Handbook (FSH 6709.11) Section 25.12 specifies the requirements for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to be worn by personnel engaged in wildland firefighting. Here's the requirement it sets for the boots firefighters must provide: "Boots. Wear heavy-duty, leather, laced boots with nonskid soles and tops at least 8 inches (204 mm) high. Steel-toed (metal cup) footwear is not recommended for fire suppression." The handbook also specifies that fireproof pants be bloused over boots to protect legs against hot ash and cinders.

The Bureau of Land Management safety handbook says that soles must be "melt-resistant": "Personnel assigned to fires must wear 8-inch high, lace-type exterior leather work boots with non-slip, Vibram-type, melt-resistant soles."

Here's what the Fish and Wildlife Service has to say: "You must wear heavy duty, all leather, lace-type work boots with non-slip (Vibram type) melt-resistant soles and heels when working on fires. The leather top must be at least 8 inches (20.3 cm) in height, measured from the top of the heel."

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!