iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIIIIIIG sickymore

Started by SAW MILLER, October 20, 2005, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAW MILLER

A fellow said I could have 3 sicky logs all are 32 to 40" dia. and 16 foot.But,they have been laying on  a dry lot for 3 years.They don't look bad so ya think its worth sawing?Thats a mighty big log for an LT 40 manual and an old man with a sore back but I kinda wonder what it would look like quarter sawn into planks?What would you do?I know what ARKY would do.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

ronwood

SawMiller,

I would give it a try. Why don't you cut the logs in half.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

SAW MILLER

I wiould saw them 8 foot long but I don't know if I would have to split them with a chainsaw or just gun barrel them.I might have to wait until my back loosens up before I try to tackle them. :-\ :-\

woodmills1

The last 2 logs I did were lumps, the loader had all it could do one end at a time.  The HD 40 had no problem but the peavy operator almost dropped a............................ :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ohsoloco

Saw Miller, you said they "don't look bad"   

I think you answered your own question  :)

SAW MILLER

Well,if it ain't raining in the morning and I can stand up somewhat erect (sniff sniff ) I am going with camera in hand and give it a shot. ;D

ohsoloco

I wouldn't gun barrel 'em if you want to quarter saw them.  With that diameter logs, and the fact that you want the q-sawn anyway, I'd quarter them with the chainsaw.

BTW, how high can you cut on your LT 40  ???  On my Norwood my blade goes up to about 24", and it can make an 8" cut, so anything much bigger than 32" takes a lot of chainsaw work for everything to clear. 

That would be sweet to have some straight grained q-sawn sikkey.  That log I just milled last Sunday was only a 6 footer, and the grain was a little wavy....good for short pieces anyway.  The birds eye was alright though  :)

twoodward15

Quarter it up.  On a side note, them trees is weeds here.  You can't give them away there are so many of them.  I've got 4 or 6 5/4 by 12 planks in the shop that I can't figure out what to do with.  Sure are pretty though.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

jrokusek

Quote from: ohsoloco on October 20, 2005, 10:29:47 PM
I wouldn't gun barrel 'em..............

Can someone explain what "gun barrel" means????  ???

Jim

Fla._Deadheader

Gun Barrel, is when you saw smaller slabs off the log, while turning. Instead of 4 slabs, you get 6-8 or more. It is a way of whittling down the log to make the blade reach  through.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!