iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goodwill Roadtrip/Sawing - Success

Started by Magicman, September 18, 2013, 04:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Since we have ventured far from the OP, LINK I am starting a new thread to detail our Goodwill effort to help fellow Forestry Forum member "dablack" that has suffered a tremendous personal loss and setback concerning building a home for his family.

I have personally talked with Jeff concerning this effort.

Remember guys, this is not about me.  It will take a commitment from so many of you to make this happen.  Several have made pledges here and even more have sent PM's making pledges.  Pledges on the open forum are encouraged and welcome, but do not post the amount.  Send me a PM and I will keep and post a running total.  That way we can respect everyone's privacy as well as generating interest in this project.  This project will not wait for or until we have enough pledges to fund the expenses.  I know in my heart that the need will be met.

Member dablack and I have exchanged PM's concerning scheduling, but all future correspondence about this project will be here on this new thread:

QuoteLynn,

I can make whenever work.  Nov, Dec, Jan.  Anytime.

Do we have to stack the lumber on the slab or can we stack it on the gravel driveway.  I'm assuming we just need somewhere flat.  I think the 2x6s will be short enough that the driveway will be fine but I think the 2x10s will need to go on the slab due to their length.  I just got done drawing out the rafters (2x10s) and they will need to be 18'.  Is that doable with your rig?  The 2x6s will be 10'.  The 1x material can be misc length.  There will also be a couple of beams for the carport.

I'm hoping to have the cut list to you by tomorrow along with the tree measurements.  Is there anything else you need that will help you tell me how many trees to fell?   

Let me know when you have the new thread going and I will chime in.

thanks
Austin

The above quote is Austin's PM and will serve as a springboard for fielding questions.  My immediate thoughts are to shoot for a December sawing date.  That way Austin will have time to clear the slab of debris as well as selecting trees and making logs.  After he determines his tree diameters, several of you can chime in with log estimates.

On the question about stickering the lumber on the slab, my thoughts would be that only the 18' 2X10 could be stickered there because moving lumber as you build is a killer.  (I know)

Now that we have made a commitment and have the ball rolling, I am sure that we will be hearing from many members with ideas, suggestions, and their commitments. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Count me in for some money. As I said it won't much,but it's the best I can do. I might need a helping hand someday. I hope not. And Magicman you are a very good friend to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wwsjr

Count me in to make the trip assuming no unforeseen problems. It is about an eight hour drive for me. If nothing happens, I will be there for a week if needed. I will bring my WM two blade edger which will help to speedup the sawing. We can setup a production line and make a lot of sawdust. The response that I received from Forum members when I lost my mill and shop to fire drives me not to hesitate to grab the chance to go and help another member as people did me. I can somewhat understand how "dablack" must feel at this time.

Willie

Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

NCDiesel

At over 1000 miles I can't realistically make it to help, but a PM was sent.  Thanks so much for providing leadership on this,
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

drobertson

Lynn, I believe this is an amazing offer of love and friendship.  I believe the project could not be in better hands,
and look forward to seeing progress for the family.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Count me in with a donation.
And I will match my amount to go to the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Our pledges are at $140 and we have just begun.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Count me in for some greenbacks. Wish I could be there to help in person but it's a bit far to go when my wife wouldn't be able to go with me...

Herb

GAmillworker

Lynn (Magicman)

Will be glad to help.  Hopefully my son Tyler & I can come depending on the date.
Thank the Lord for second chances

thecfarm

wwsjr,you and Magicman will have that job done in no time. That is some nice of you to make a drive like that to help out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

We are now at $210 $260 toward covering the expenses of the project.   :)

beenthere

That enough to get you there and back, with 4-5 days in a pup tent ??    ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

No, not yet, but I have absolute full confidence that our expense needs will be met.

fat olde elf

Good work. MM!! Check is in the mail......Can't come because of my loving wife's upcoming surgery.  Our prayers are with you.  Forum is such a neat deal...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Compensation

Are you, or have you set up a fundraiser site for secure deposits?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

MRowsh

I will donate $.
Please provide information how I may do it.

Good work MM
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WH_Conley

Check is in the mail.

I was given a hand up by members of this forum when life kicked me in the gut pretty hard. As one member that helped me a great deal said about paying him back. "Pay if forward".
Bill

Magicman

There is no such thing as a small donation when it comes from the heart, and this entire project is a gift from the heart. 

We are on the way toward meeting our expense needs.  Our total is now $650 and I am confidant the we will have 3-4 times that amount before we begin.

GAmillworker

Austin,

Do you need some help getting trees cut and slab prepped for MM?  My son Tyler and I would be willing to come out to help.  Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Daniel
Thank the Lord for second chances

thecfarm

From 260 to 650 in one day!!! That is great. The check is in the mail.  :D

dablack

I really don't know what to say at this point.  The kindness and support shown by all of you is a blessing to my family.  The last three years have been very exciting for us.  We were living in houston and trying to adopt.  We already had two little girls but wanted more kids in the house.  Right after we completed our adoption, I lost my job.  Cuts in govt contracts meant I wasn't needed anymore.  After three months we moved to Lufkin and started my new job.  Not long after that we found land that we loved and I started looking into how to build a house.  I had never built anything before so I had a lot to learn.  I spent a year building the house.  Obviously we were all very excited to be moving onto our property into a house that we built.  When the sheriffs dept called on 7/11, our hearts were broken.  Through it all we had faith that everything would be fine and that we would be provided for.  I have a good job but with no insurance and maxed out credit there was no way that we were going to be able to rebuild anytime soon.  With the debt, land note, and rent where we were staying, we were well in the red at the end of the month.  I had always been very much against debt but I used it and cash to build the house, knowing I would be able to wrap the land and house into one mortgage and be in a very good place.  Now we have all the debt and no house.  To get out of the rent, into the black, and onto the property, we bought a trailer home.  The note on it was half what rent was and my parents (in their 70s) have decided they would like to buy it from us once we rebuild.  Moving to the property brought excitment.  We are glad to be here but going to the top of the hill where the house was, is always hard.  Now that Lynn (Magicman) has stepped in, building our house and getting out of this hole I have dug is in reach.  Now everyone knows the full back ground.  It is never dull at our house! 

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

dablack

Ok, lets talk cut list and trees. 

Here is the cut list.  I haven't figured out the interior walls so I  can't say how many 2x4s I will need but I think I have the rest pretty figured out. 

Misc beams for carport and porch
5.5" x 11.5" x 13'  QTY 6

2x6 studs 10'   qty 150

1x  material (roof decking, exterior wall sheathing, 2nd floor subfloor)   5700 sqft

2x10 roof rafters 18' long  Qty 110

collar ties 2x8 9'  qty 55

That is what I have right now.  Again, I'm going to need 2x4s for the interior walls but I don't think it will be much more than maybe 60 2x4s 8' long. 

Tree info coming in next post. 

thanks
Austin

grweldon

I would like to physically help in this process somehow.  I don't think I'd be able to handle offbearing as much wood as we are talking about sawing and still be able to walk the next morning, however, I would like to be able to help with home construction one weekend, maybe a long one.  I also was just advised that I'll be having the entire week of Thanksgiving off as a cost-cutting measure.

I don't know when construction is scheduled to start, but I would really like to be able to help out somehow...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

dablack

Went out last night and took some measurements from 8 trees.  They are all pretty much the same size.  At chest height, I'm coming up with a circumference of 48".  That is a diameter of 15.25".  Most are pretty straight and clear. 

In the above picture, I am 6' tall.....well, maybe 5' 11".  HA!  Anyway, it gives you some scale for the trees.  As you can also see, it has been really dry so I haven't brushhogged in a while.  The sweatgums are already coming up!  I hate those things.

Also, I have four dead trees that the fire got.  The trees themselves weren't on fire but the fire killed them and scorched the bark facing the house.  Are these ok to use?  I would assume they are fine but wanted to make sure. 

You can see the side that was and was not facing the fire. 

How many of my 48" circumference trees will I need to make the cut list above?  I will obviously cut down an extra 10 to 20% to make sure we have enough.  If I need to provide more information to figure it out, just let me know. 

thanks
Austin

Thank You Sponsors!