iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Belsaw power options

Started by wardbrook, February 14, 2020, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wardbrook

I have a Belsaw with a 40" blade the 30hp diesel on my tractor is way underpowered when cutting larger logs and I also hate tying up the tractor. I have a handful of vehicles around the property destined to be parted out or scrapped so I figure I will reuse one to make a dedicated power unit. I have an 83 Mercedes turbo diesel this would be the best option on fuel it makes 123hp and 184ft/lbs of torque at 2400rpm. The automatic transmission in these is a real slushbox power robber, and not quite as robust as...

Second option Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0HO this makes 193hp and peak torque of 231ftlbs of torque at 3000rpm. Also unfortunately an automatic but it does have a hi low transfer case which gives me more gear options to keep rpm where I want it. 

I also have an 03 tundra with the 4.7 which makes 245hp and 315ft/lbs torque but I believe this is way overkill and that truck was a real fuel hog so I have pretty much ruled that out and am focusing on the other two. 

Rather than remove the engine and have to build a cradle and mounts and controls and all that I am planning to just leave the engine in the vehicle so the engine is already mounted with controls and gauges and everything I can cut the vehicle behind the transmission and run the Belsaw off the driveshaft as if it was a tractor pto. Stock cruise control should be able to be used to regulate speed but I also think I can talk a friend into giving my an old military surplus governor that is a centrifugal type if cruise doesn't prove to be responsive enough. I think either of these engines will be overpowered enough to make it not a huge issue to keep blade speed where it needs to be. 

Anyway which one would you guys choose and why?

moodnacreek

Because the mandrel is mounted on the ways rather than a husk frame, bellsaws run backwards from a regular [right hand] sawmill. Tractor pto shafts also run backwards from standard engines and that's why tractors will direct drive a bellsaw. So you have to turn your engine around and drive a long shaft. The trick to using small engines is to match the max. torque rpm to the hammered sawing speed rpm. Perhaps you already know this.

Nebraska

Sell the older vehicles for whatever if they are running look around on craigslist buy another tractor. Around here running older tractors can be had running and working for 3500.00 to  5000.00. Although I do have a soft spot for the old mercedes, but it was a 70's Mercedes owned by a girl in another town ;D.  Wonder if you could make it hydraulic driven off of that engine. I think for simplicity you just need another tractor. Welcome and let the forum know where you are located on your profile. You might have folks close that can help you out with your issue.

Don P

I've thought about it in the past. Its a heated breakroom too ;D. Reverse and going through a transfer case or two in low range should work.

wardbrook

If I am running it through the vehicle transmission anyway why can't I just utilize reverse gear? Seems like a simple solution.

I am in Vermont where they spread the salt like fertilizer all winter. These vehicles are rotted out and in scrap yard condition they are worth less than $800 collectively with current scrap prices. If I spent the time and effort to part them out maybe a bit more but not enough to buy a tractor with sufficient horsepower around here. 

wardbrook

Quote from: Don P on February 15, 2020, 08:19:38 AM
I've thought about it in the past. Its a heated breakroom too

I was also thinking this as well plus strip the interior other than the drivers seat and replace it with tool and parts storage out of the weather. In the case of the Cherokee it already only had a drivers seat everything else is already stripped out.

dgdrls

My first thought is the MB diesel.

40" saw, how many teeth & pattern?

D

luap

One of the first experiments for a power unit on my American #1 I used a straight six chevy pickup motor with 3 speed manual  transmission direct drive to the mandrel. I rigged up an after market speed control and used second gear. It worked  but the fuel consumption was not acceptable. I  started searching real fast for a real power unit with a real governor.  Once I found one the problems of not having enough power disappeared and unit cost of production dropped  considerably.

Jeff

I had an old friend that used the front half of old toronados.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wardbrook

Toronados? Seems like an odd preferred choice as they were front wheel drive automatics. He must have run off the wheel axle? I think the smaller engine option was a 425ci those must have really sucked down some fuel.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Jeff on February 15, 2020, 11:25:58 AM
I had an old friend that used the front half of old toronados.
Must of run out of straight 8 Buicks.

moodnacreek

Tractor pto is by far the easy way. They sure take up a lot of space. You also must be careful not to back the nut off.

farmfromkansas

Even the last model of the old IHC tractors are pretty reasonable priced at least at auctions.  You probably don't need 135 hp, like a 1086, maybe a 686 would work, and they make great mower and utility tractors when you are not sawing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

moodnacreek

45 hp will be plenty on a 40" saw. The owner of my old bell saw uses a J.D. 5200, around 54 pto hp. He is running a 48" B saw. It works the governor but holds speed I n hardwood.

Jeff

To answer the question posed about what to use that you have on hand, I'd say the diesel.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Iwawoodwork

I agree with Jeff, use the diesel and I read on the forum (some where) that if you use a car rear end as a drive shaft it can be set up to counter rotate so you can use the forward speeds in the transmission.

Thank You Sponsors!