iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Head UP-Down Creep: Added Some Pics

Started by Foxtrapper, March 29, 2009, 07:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrapper

So I have been working on my mill...replaced the hydric pump, the up down on the head...ect..ect..ect...

How do you stop the creep in the head going down?  This is all hydric system, so what is the problem?  Thanks. :-[
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Chico

What type of valves do you use Manual or elec? It could be the spools aren't centered  It also could be a weak centering spring Or a coil getting weak you  have some bypass somewhere in the system You also could have too much press or too little causing  probs. Are these dedicated sysems or are they all one pump running several systems?Does it have a linear positioner ? If so it may be trying to find it's position and need adjusting . Did you do anything diff on the systems?Just food for thought
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

redprospector

I don't know if your lifting with a hydraulic motor, or cylinders. I use a hydraulic motor on my mill, and learned pretty quick that it needed a worm drive in the system. No more creep.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bandmiller2

Trapper,you have enough oil in the tank??foam can cause settleing.Outherwise oil is bypassing valve ,cylinder,or motor.Isolate with a shutoff valve you install in the lines you should be able to tell what is leaking by.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Foxtrapper

Valves are electric.  One pump runs entire system....up/down and forward/reverse.  Lifting is done with hydric motor.  Plenty of oil, system is full.

Have a shutoff, but it was settling even with that shut off...so I ran the motor without the chain on it to remove air from the motor...then it would stop creeping with the valves closed.  Would a check valve help????
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

After looking on Cook's I decieded it was proably the solenoid valve that was bad..thanks for the heads up on that Chico...
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Chico

no Prob  I feel like I post too much sometimes but over the yrs I've seen so many probs I hate not to at least try and give ideas that may?may not work ;D You can adjust some of those valve Foxtrapper Before I bought a new one If you have time I would take the end caps off and see if any trash got in them during the change or an O ring with a small cut in it It should be one of those It could also be the diaprahm (Sp) They get soft and tear sometimes allowing oil to seep between the ports If you don't have time rt now I would surely save it and check it out I save all them anyway unless used as a trde in for spare parts Hopefully that'll fix her and you can be making dust soon
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

MaddiesDad

It could be the valve or the motor.  I'd lean more towards valve. 

Chico

I don't think it's the motor Maddis dad Tho it could be usually a motor prob will make it erratic or pause etc creeping is usually a valve prob or a positioner (if you have one) trying to find home or center jmo
Chico

Foxtrapper

I hope it's the valve.  We had trouble with that valve to begin with..it was taken off and cleaned out and seemed to work ok.  The mill had a worm gear on it to begin with, but the lower gear had alot of teeth stripped out of it, so we changed it over to a chain drive...with an open center solenoid, creep wouldn't have been a problem with a worm gear, but once it was changed to a chain drive, creep would've been very evident.

I am of course not sure what kind of solenoid valve this one is, just guessing..but I wouldn't be surprised if it is an open center valve....which won't work, as it would require a tandam center valve..which I have ordered...hope to be making lots of sawdust soon 8).
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

Well, got everything installed yesterday, but rainned all day today, so maybe tomorrow I can give it a trial run :).
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

Got a log sawed yesterday, here's some pics:

2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

2014 WoodMizer LT28

Jeff

Does this mean you cured your head creep problem? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Foxtrapper

Yup, for now 8).  Now gotta work on the engine...again ::)..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Chico

Glad you got her going Lumber looks good
Chico

Thank You Sponsors!