iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iditarod 52...

Started by upnut, March 02, 2024, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Ceremonial Start for Iditarod number 52 from Anchorage today, watched online on Iditarod.com as they lined up and rocketed off. Always enjoy following my favorite mushers and seeing how the 1000 mile race across Alaska unfolds. What an adventure!!!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Ron Scott

Quote from: upnut on March 02, 2024, 06:17:11 PMAlways enjoy following my favorite mushers and seeing how the 1000 mile race across Alaska unfolds. What an adventure!!!
I follow it every year also. A great race as you get to know and have a favorite musher. They are an enduring bunch.
~Ron

Magicman

We met the late Iditarod winner, Susan Butcher and her husband David Monson when we were in Fairbanks in 1997.  She and David eagerly shared their dog team expertise with us.  It was funny that after probably 15 minutes of talking she reached in her pocket and pulled out a baby puppy.  ffsmiley

Sadly she only lived 9 more years after that. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

upnut

We were able to visit Husky Homestead in Denali Park in 2016, really enjoyed it. Lots of stories and memorabilia from Jeff Kings racing career...
IMG_1027.JPG

Same trip we visited the Iditarod headquarters in Wasilla, neat experience! Last summer we visited the dog sled kennel just north of Newberry Michigan operated by Iditarod veteran Laura Neese.. Midogtours.com..If you like to cuddle puppies and learn about sled dogs it's a good stop. 

Scott B.

rusticretreater

The marathon of the North.  

Aliy Zirkle is a distant cousin of mine, quite distant in the family tree though. Three times a runner-up but she won the Yukon Quest.

During the 2016 Iditarod race Aliy Zirkle, along with fellow competitor Jeff King, was intentionally hit by a man on a snowmobile. He killed one of King's dogs. That threw me for a loop.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

upnut

First words to Jeff as we shook hands "My condolences on Nash (his dog that was killed)"  That seemed to break the ice and we had a good visit. He and Ali were awarded a cash settlement for damages, and IIRC both promptly donated those funds to the alcohol abuse program in the village where the incident occurred. Classy people...

Scott B.

Magicman

We commented to our Denali bus driver about the number of intoxicated "Eskimo's" that we saw on the streets of Fairbanks.  He said that alcohol was a serious problem, and worse because of some kinda "handout program" that eliminated their need to work.  smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rusticretreater

Everyone in Alaska gets payouts from the oil produced there.  The State maintains a huge fund and disperses money annually.  Last year it was $1,312 per person.  So a a family of four netted $5,248.  This amount goes up and down quite a bit. 
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trapper

Quote from: Magicman on March 02, 2024, 08:22:01 PMWe commented to our Denali bus driver about the number of intoxicated "Eskimo's" that we saw on the streets of Fairbanks.  He said that alcohol was a serious problem, and worse because of some kinda "handout program" that eliminated their need to work.  smiley_thumbsdown
My missionary friend up there says the same thing
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!