iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Kombi Tool Storage ideas.

Started by realzed, September 03, 2023, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

I have a Stihl Kombi setup with a few tools - straight shaft trimmer, garden tiller, hedge trimmer, pole saw, extension shaft, and of course the 56 powerhead.. that I would like to hang on my garage wall for ease of storage and access..
I've searched and can't find what looks to an economical (cheap) good or usable method of grabbing the shafts of the tools to hang them up.
Anybody have some good 'homebrew' methods of hanging these tools up and care to share what or how they did it?
Stihl shows what looks to be a cheaply made system they sell - but they are back ordered here for more than 6 months already so far and probably longer - so I thought I would try and make my own.
I initially thought of some spring loaded type of clamping setup could work that I could 'snap' each tool shaft into - but I haven't had any luck finding something that looks usable, durable, or appears sized properly..
Thanks in advance for any ideas / pictures / on whatever you may have come up with..
Randy

SawyerTed

I have 3/8" plywood on my shop walls.  By drilling holes to fit pegboard hooks, I can use heavy pegboard hardware in the plywood.  I only drill where I want to put hooks.  It supports much heavier items than peg board.  

There is some pretty nice pegboard hardware for battery powered tools like drills and impact drivers that might be adapted for your use. 

A section of plywood drilled just for the hardware you want and mounted to the wall could work.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

How about something like THIS? I have some in my shop and they hold decent weight securely.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

I've collected at garage sales a bunch of those giant rubber dipped cup hooks that you use to hang bicycle from the rafters.  Also, the U hooks made to hang shovel or rake.  I have four of the U hooks set up to hold the sections of my DeWalt electric pole chain saw, handle, hedge trimmer and extension.  The aluminum tube fits between the prongs but the connectors and ends won't slide through.  I also screw the bike hooks into the wall (rather than the ceiling) and have them horizontal.  I can hang my DeWalt weedeater either from the head or the battery ends.  If this is not clear, I could take a picture.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

realzed

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 03, 2023, 04:49:41 PM
How about something like THIS? I have some in my shop and they hold decent weight securely.
I did see those on Amazon earlier today when searching for ideas - but its hard to know what size of a shaft they would hold reasonably securely - but they did appear to be a good prospect..  
A line of 5 or 6 of them attached to a plywood strip screwed to the wall was what I was originally thinking probably would work.. 
If I recall well when I saw them - the info said they would support quite a bit of weight as well!
Thx!

realzed

Quote from: realzed on September 04, 2023, 12:10:43 AM
I did see those on Amazon earlier today when searching for ideas - but its hard to know what size of a shaft they would hold reasonably securely - but they did appear to be a good prospect..  
A line of 5 or 6 of them attached to a plywood strip screwed to the wall was what I was originally thinking probably would work..
If I recall well when I saw them - the info said they would support quite a bit of weight as well!
Thx!
I do know what you mean and understand the concept.. and have considered it since the Stihl version of what I wanted and mentioned previously - uses much the same type of coated hook type of arrangement.
Stihl's version uses hooks that once the attachment is inserted into it, are allowed to pivot downward which traps the diameter of the shaft and pinches it tight - thus the grip on the attachment..
Thx.. 

Old Greenhorn

What is the diameter and rough weight of these things? The ones I have on my wall are not as well designed as the ones I showed. They won't handle big weights, but have a good diameter range. I'd be more concerned about the upper diameter than the smaller. If they don't go small enough you can always slide a piece of tubing over them. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

gspren

Not the same as hanging up but I use a 55 gallon plastic drum with the top cut off. I can stand all my combi stuff plus some rakes and shovels with the handle going in first and it's easy to move for sweeping around.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

realzed

That's pretty much what I presently have - and would like to get more clear floor space in the garage by hanging things up on the wall.. 
No doubt a drum or pail of some sort does keep everything together in one spot and you can't beat the price or simplicity of it - but floor space in my garage is at a premium and the more I can try and mange to get the better!
Thx! 

realzed

I got tired of searching around and wasting gas trying to find some locally like these - and finally resorted to Amazon today.. should be here by Saturday apparently - we'll see if or how they work out!
Apparently they come in various sizes I find out later, so if this size doesn't pan out I'll try again..
Thanks!

mike dee

I use these quick-fist style rubber clamps mounted on the back of my UTV
Amazon Link
Quick Fist 90010: Clamp Mounting Kit, C-Clamps - Amazon Canada
Cerka.ca Link
HARDWARE

Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

Thank You Sponsors!