iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coins

Started by Peter Drouin, October 23, 2023, 08:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have a bunch, Did not know if someone knows a website or program I can download to see if I have some worth $$
It would be nice to put in the date and domination and get back an auction price.
 Looking up one at a time on the web would take forever.
I don't think I would live long enough to do that.
I have 30 years of emptying my pockets of coins every day. :D
Thanks.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim_Rogers

Years ago, I had to sell off some coins from my late brother's estate. I went online to ebay and did a search using the "advanced" search function. I'd list the name of the coin, and select "completed" listings. This would produce a list of the same coins. If the price was green then that meant they got that price when they sold it. And if the price was red it meant they didn't get that price for their coin.

I use that method when selling anything on ebay or facebook marketplace.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Resonator

Watch for silver dollars, particularly the Morgans, these are popular with collectors. Value can be affected not only by the year and condition, but by the city (letter stamp) they were minted. I found some my dad had collected long ago and took them to a coin dealer. He told me not only the coin value, but the silver value by weight. I ended up selling them for the coin value $$$$. ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jim_Rogers

I found an old spreadsheet that I made when I sold off some coins. Some were mine, some where my brother's some were my mothers.

I had Washington head-quarters that I listed on ebay for 99 cents and sold them for as much as 6 dollars. 
I had some Buffalo head nickels I sold for as much as $4.25.
I had some Mercury dimes I sold for over $3 one for $8.
I had some Indian head cents that I sold for a dollar, one sold for $6. 

So, it depends on what you have, what year they are and as mentioned where they were minted.

I can't find the spreadsheet for the walking liberty coins but I sold all of them for way more than face value.

Good luck with your search for values of your coins. It's a fun hobby.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

rusticretreater

With the way new coins are minted, the metal content is not worth much anymore.  When I go through a bunch of coins, I don't pay much attention to anything minted in the last 20 years.  With new techniques, there aren't many error coins either.

After weeding those coins out, then I go through the remainder and sort them by denomination and type.  I usually do this on a towel or blanket to avoid further marring the coins.  Most of the coins have little over face value due to scratches, features bein worn or other things.

I take the worn ones and make sets of them using the coin collector books sold in stores.  These make great gifts to kids.  By this time, you are down to 1/10th of the coins or less.

Learn how to clean coins properly and store them appropriately.  Then research on the web about grading of the coins.  Then of course, time to buy, sell, trade.

The other coins, you can roll them yourself or take them to one of those coin counting machines. My daughter once came to me asking for pennies.  They had a contest at school during Spirit Week.  For each penny, the grade level would get one link in their spirit chain(made out of construction paper).  I said how many do you need?  and I handed her $5 in rolled pennies.  Her grade won the spirit contest.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

Quote from: rusticretreater on October 23, 2023, 04:55:12 PMWith the way new coins are minted, the metal content is not worth much anymore.

That's what the Govt Bank decided here many years ago. 1 cent coins were costing them about 5 cents to make, and that was only if they Didn't use copper. And then most of them got lost or thrown in jar and forgotten. The older ones got collected as a cheap source of copper. New ones are some cheaper alloys, if your coins stick to a magnet it's probably not very valuable. :D

My coins are basically souvenirs. Not worthless, but I have to go back to the Cook Islands for the $5 coins to be worth $5. Although maybe could be sold for more than face value to the right buyer? ;)  The $1 coins could be considered NSFW, so that adds some value. And I'm not giving away my legit $3 banknote either. 

Cook Island $ are tied to the NZ$, so a $5 coin is worth about $3 US. We are up to $2 coins here now, but the Cook Islanders dance to the beat of their own drums (literally) 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peter Drouin

I'm looking for a list of the coins everybody wants. I might have some.
I think a trip to a coin store will help. Thanks all.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

repmma

I have PCGS Coin Facts app on my phone.  You can select by coin and then year.  Provides values based on grades and a decent amount of other facts like mintage, population estimate, auction results and others for sale. 
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

rusticretreater

I shoulda guessed they had an app for it now. 
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Peter Drouin

Thanks, I'll look into that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kelLOGg

I have a set of quarters for the 50 USA states (51 counting Guam). They could be worth face value, or more if silver plated and a LOT more if they are 90% silver. How can I tell what I have?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

GAB

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 23, 2023, 08:08:30 AM
I have a bunch, Did not know if someone knows a website or program I can download to see if I have some worth $$
It would be nice to put in the date and domination and get back an auction price.
Looking up one at a time on the web would take forever.
I don't think I would live long enough to do that.
I have 30 years of emptying my pockets of coins every day. :D
Thanks.
Mr. Drouin, Sir:
Sorting coins is a retired person's hobby.  Since you and I, and many other FF members, have failed at retirement we have little time or experience sorting coins of value from a large pile.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

I know Mr GAB. But come Jan I'm shut down till April sometime.
I was thinking when I'm not working on the HOT ROD. I can sit here and watch it snow. And look at the mess of coffee cans full of coins. 
A long-haired, long-legs, skinny farm girl would be better to watch it snow with.
But I'm fresh out of them. ;D  But looking. ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

There is For. Forum protocol for wanted ads.   :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

repmma

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 28, 2023, 07:43:26 AM
I have a set of quarters for the 50 USA states (51 counting Guam). They could be worth face value, or more if silver plated and a LOT more if they are 90% silver. How can I tell what I have?
Are they loose or in a plastic set?  In a case they should say silver proof.  If they're loose look at the edge of the coin, shouldnt see the copper.  They also sound different if pinged.  
Plated... whatever amount of silver is on them is likely negligible value. Again they sound different when pinged and probably the edge of the coin isnt plated.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 28, 2023, 07:43:26 AM
https://www.moneymetals.com/guides/silver-quarters#:~:text=The%20quarter%20coin%20weighs%206.25%20grams%20and%20is,less%20silver%20after%20heavy%20circulation%20considering%20daily%20wear.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Wlmedley

I had about half a 5 gallon bucket of change awhile back.Started looking through them but lost interest pretty fast.Local bank has a machine you can pour them in that counts them and they don't charge anything.I spent about an hour putting change in machine.It got overwhelmed if you poured in to fast.Took the money and bought saw bands and chainsaw chain  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

WV Sawmiller

Bill,

I was the office manager on a project in Norway and had the only bank account for the project. Our team members would sometimes throw local coins in a jar and at end of the project they'd bring me a quart sized jar of coins and ask me to cash them into folding money ($ or Euros depending on where they were from). The Norwegian Kroner looked like a penny but was worth about 7 cents. One coin looked like a quarter but was worth about $2. I'd take the coins to the local bank, dump them in the machine, it would count and reject foreign (Non-Norway) coins. It would deposit the amount into my project account and I'd pay the employee and give him back his rejects. Some of the guys would have $500-$600 from a year or two on the job.  
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 29, 2023, 07:35:09 AM
I know Mr GAB. But come Jan I'm shut down till April sometime.
I was thinking when I'm not working on the HOT ROD. I can sit here and watch it snow. And look at the mess of coffee cans full of coins.
A long-haired, long-legs, skinny farm girl would be better to watch it snow with.
But I'm fresh out of them. ;D  But looking. ;)
The last two words indicate to me that you are still alive.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ron Scott

I've found that there is some knowledge and skill involved with valuing coins especially when there is often a varied difference in value of coins of the same vintage.
~Ron

rusticretreater

The 50 states coin sets aren't worth much more than face value.  You can still find tons of vendors selling them.  My wife put together a bunch of sets for the kids and to give away.

You can set the coins side by side with regular quarters and the difference should be apparent. I would think the silver coins also weigh more.

Awhile back I bought one of those plastic coin separating machines to quickly sort coins.  They work fairly well and make it easy to roll up coins as they drop all the coins into plastic tubes.  You can pour them right into the coin sleeves with practice.  But being increasingly lazy or busy with other things, I am probably more inclined to just tote them to the coin machine at the store and pay the premium.
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Peter Drouin

The tex on this screen is wider than the screen. Can someone fix it?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!