iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

H3D Hermance planer head?

Started by tacks Y, August 01, 2023, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacks Y

Does any one here have a machine with one? I would like to know the cut quality. Thanks

Larry

A friend had one.  Planed wood looked the same as out of my Byrd.

I did like the way Hermance machines the insert mounts.  Byrd uses what I called a perched mount with the insert up in the air.  Hermance inserts are lower to the body.  I would not have any qualms about buying one especially if the price is good.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tacks Y

I bought one last year, got it this year. A 24" one half cuts good, the other haft is what I call a wash board. A 13/16" pattern the full 12". They are claiming this as acceptable and in spec, I am not. They have had the head back for a month and are wanting another week to look at it.

I am trying to reach out to other owners to see if any have my results.  Thanks

Don P

With straight knives a high knife will do what you are describing, did they set it up with one helix high?

tacks Y

It is not one knife but every 13/16" across half the head (12").

Not sure it shows well in this picture but the dark lines are a dip then works up to the next one. What I call awash board. 

Don P

It looks like you can see every knife mark, from me looking at a picture. It's not like it's a high cutter or row of cutters going deep and wiping away the work of the previous knife marks.

If that is the case I'd start looking at the cutterhead mounts and what is moving the board

Billy rolls are down below the table so you're not rolling on them on either side? 
Bearing somewhere?

Just more guesses to sift out.

tacks Y

With a straight edge you can see the taper. Also a dial indicator run across shows the wash board effect. It goes this way 12" then just stops for the next 12". New bearings and all seems good. I am reaching out looking for others that have this problem and found one other. After the company changed hands.

Yes rolls are down, feed slow and light cut for best possible cut.

To me the pockets seem looser on the bad side. I retapped all the holes on the bad side also as a lot were to tight, hoping to help. No change.

tacks Y

Well after fighting with H3D (they make the Hermance heads now) for months and my planer tore down the credit card company gave me my money back. They claim it was in tolerance and up to a .005 to .007 step is ok. I claim BS. I ordered a head from Hong Dar Knife mfg over seas. I have it in my PM 225 up and running and I am very happy with the cut quality. Wish I had never met H3D. This is a picture of my new head. 

I had it shipped by air and it was still cheaper than the old one. 

Thank You Sponsors!