iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood splitter heater

Started by 47sawdust, February 06, 2024, 03:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

Looking for some feedback on small diesel heaters.
I would like to warm up my splitter hydraulics and the motor. The splitter sometimes sits in an open shed with no power. There is 12 volt dc available. 
Don't know if a jump pack would work.
Thoughts appreciated. 
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Wlmedley

Before I retired I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic out of a service truck.  The company supplied us with small torpedo heaters and truck had a welder to run it.  I didn't like hearing welder so I bought a small power converter and wired up to truck battery. I think it was a 500w.  It ran torpedo heater with no problem. They use very little power and small power converter was fairly cheap.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

doc henderson

if you decide to get an inverter, then it could power a magnetic Katz block heater.  one on the engine and one on the hydraulic tank.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

A jump pack wouldn't last long. My 8000 BTU needs 10 minutes  to warm up and 10 minutes  to cool down when shut off. A good battery has better output at colder temperatures then the Li batteries  in most jump packs. Not sure  how long you need to run it but a deep cycle  battery would last longest as long as your not talking  below zero temperatures. You do not want to run out of power before the combustion chamber is cooled down. Also  they really  don't  like long exhaust lines or heating ducts so be sure there  is always ventilation if you're  just dumping the exhaust. I have recently seen dewalt has a portable  propane spot heater and I think Milwaukee is working on one for things like that and they don't need ventilation.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

47sawdust

Thanks for mentioning Milwaukee.They have a 70,000 btu unit that might be appropriate.
The heater is propane,120 or M18 volt.I have a full compliment of the batteries so it can be used when away from a power source.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Big_eddy

My splitter is a bear to pull over when the oil is cold. I use a magnetic heater on the tank now, but it takes a long time to notice any difference.
I've wondered about installing a standard block heater in the hydraulic tank for cold days. Plug it in for an hour before use. Not sure if there would be any reason not to, but never investigated further. Not necessarily what you are looking for, but might help others.

Gearbox

How cold ? I start my Predator on my processer down to 10 above zero F . any colder its too cold for this old body.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

doc henderson

the block heater (Katz) i run off 110 V.  at an hour on the 500 watt, I can put a hand on the metal hydraulic tank, and it feel slight warm, not hot.  I have mentioned before that I used to slip belts on cold days.  so, I tightened the belt and then it shredded due to cold fluid being more viscous and therefore harder to turn the pump.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I think a torpedo heater is the easiest solution, like Wlmedley said get a small inverter you can plug into your vehicle. 

Any of the electric heaters, whether magnetic or immersion, have a high amp draw.
Too many irons in the fire

21incher

Just found the Milwaukee M18 heater and they say it will run 5 hours  on a 5ah battery. Going to need to drag around a 20 pound tank of propane also though. Looks like a nice compact unit but it may burn the paint off your  machine if it's close enough to be effective outdoors.  
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

barbender

I'm not a big fan of the propane heaters. When it is cold enough that I need a torpedo heater, propane models don't work very good. The smaller portable tanks ice up and stop flowing gas.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

you know it is cold when you have to heat the tank to get enough gas to heat something else.

47sawdust

Well,I decided to use what I had on hand.Since my Timber Devil is an upright style splitter it was easy to put a lumber cover over it.A 20# cylinder with a tank top radiant heater supplied the heat.
30 minutes raised the tank temperature ( near the pump) from 17 degrees to 60 degrees.
Easy starting,now.

Where did the degree icon go?
Mick

thecfarm

No degree icon, but Alt 248 will do it.  °  When you release the Alt key the ° will show up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

oF  The X2 icon in the font box also works. Superscript a small o.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

47sawdust

Well I got rid of the wimpy battery.
I purchased a NOCO 4250amp jump pack at Magicman's  recommendation.
That woke things up quite a bit.
Mick

mike dee

https://www.princessauto.com/en/35000-btu-portable-radiant-propane-heater/product/PA0008944985

these IR radiant heater units throw a lot of heat and are aimable

on sale now CDN$144 down from $269
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

Al_Smith

Due to the fact my old 11HP Briggs industrial engine has electric start it's not a problem .Plus the 8-9 gallons of hydraulic fluid is Dextron 2  tranny fluid temperature has no or little effect on how it runs . Of course this is Ohio not Alaska .

Thank You Sponsors!