Started by sawman, November 25, 2019, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawman

She approved purchase of new tool.
Just in time for Christmas

'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Old Greenhorn

Looks like somebody is going to be hauling some logs!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

You will like it. I had a 3pt winch for more than 25 years now. They work nice!!! Yes,pricey,but I have only had to replace the cable on mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawman

Hoping I can try it out this weekend if work schedule doesn't change and weather cooperates.
Found several uprooted trees while deer hunting and I think this will make retrieving them a lot easier.
Wallenstein FX85

Hilltop366

As much as I would like to second the nomination if word got out around here I could be in serious trouble!

Nice looking winch, once you have one it's hard to do without.

GAB

Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 25, 2019, 10:01:19 PM

As much as I would like to second the nomination if word got out around here I could be in serious trouble!

Nice looking winch, once you have one it's hard to do without.
Hilltop366: I totally agree with you on both counts.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Pine Ridge

Looks to me like you both did ok, she picked a good winch and you picked a good wife, congratulations !!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

samandothers

Congrats! Not many wives would give their husband a winch. 

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

sawman

Got in this evening and hooked it up to 3 point and got the pto shaft fitted .

Wallenstein FX85

thecfarm

Looks good.
Don't pull at a sharp angle. You can roll the tractor over. Lower the winch and if you have a loader,lower that too,each time. Set the brake too. Watch the slash that is coming towards you. Use the ropes for the control of the winch.This keeps you away from the tractor,so if it does slide back,you are out of the way.
I run 6 slides on mine winch. Sometimes all 6 are used,sometimes only one. All 6 comes in handy when I am twitching out small wood. I made up six 4 foot chains too. Those winches comes with 8 foot chains. I bought 3 eight foot chains and 3 hooks. I cut the chains in half and put the hooks on. These short ones are so much easier. No more pulling 6 feet of chains through a keyway of a choker. I like to put a rolling hitch on anything of any size. Meaning,put the hook on the bottom of the log,close to the ground,so when you winch,the hook will come to the top of the log and the log will roll. What was on the ground is now on top. This also helps out when you are limbing. Because you will see any limbs you missed too. Also helps out on the limbs that got broke off too. You will see the stubs. This way the stubs won't be digging into the ground,making a mess and it won't be so hard to pull. Good idea to not haul long stuff either. Well,big logs that are long. A lot can happen 40 feet behind you. Try not to look behind you for any length of time. That front end of a tractor can come up quick. I have a clutch on my tractor and pushing in that clutch will bring that front end back to earth quick. :o
A winch is so much easier.
I use to tease a Father and son. The Father would ask me a ton of questions about a winch. Finally he bought one. The family was big snowmobile people. I told the son make sure you are in the will for the winch. Forget about the snowmobiles. They will be all worn out in 20 years. The winch will still be going strong.  ;D
As I said,the winches are pricey now,but will last for many,many years. We use to haul out logs with just the hyds on the back of the tractor. Could really only get one log at a time. Once in a while,if and I say if,things lined up 2 logs. But that was rare. My Father drove the tractor and I was the chain man. I would hook and unhook the chains and logs. Much easier with 2 people that way. Sometimes we would only be able to pull forward 8 feet at a time to get the logs into the trails. I am not one of those people that need to do things quick. But now I can haul out 6 trees that are 6 inches across. When it takes 10 minutes to come of the woods ,that adds up.
It's hard to walk through the woods,in a straight line,with 100 feet of cable too. I have tried a few times,but as I winch in,other trees get in the way. ;D
Lets see some pictures with the winch in use.
 I keep a a piece of round stock,4 feet long,maybe inch through on the winch. Comes in handy to pry apart the twitch when I haul out 6 logs. Also helps out to lift up a small log to put a chain under. I try to lay something down when I fall a tree and put the branches under the tree too. I use to carry a peavey,but that is at the sawmill.
I like to put a stick of wood under the twich before I go to unhook it. This makes it easier to get the chains out. They are not on the ground. I also put pieces under the logs,if I am cutting it for firewood.
I also lay a 8 foot chain on the ground and pile small wood that I can carry, on top of the chain. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I know that you will absolutely love it.  I had no idea what a work saver a logging winch would be.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Very nice, pretty shinny too.  It being camo strikes me as odd.  Don't know why.  I just don't think of tool/equipment being camo.  I recon it can double as a deer blind!  :D

sawman

Thanks for all the tips thecfarm

Magicman I think it will make a big difference in how things go out in the woods in making things easier.

samandothers I kinda like the camo, when I called to order it salesman asked if I had a color preference. I told him tractor was red but color didn't really matter to me.
I figured I'd end up with green yellow or blue.
😃

Wallenstein FX85

thecfarm

I have not seen a camo one yet. I thought it was just for show. I guess I will have to wait until the Woods Expo in 2021 to see one.

dougtrr2

Nice winch, be careful that you don't lose it in the woods with the camo paint job. ;) Depending on your situation a self releasing snatch block could be a great accessory to have.  It is absolutely essential in my woods. My forest is hilly and dense.  I have a hard time getting placed for a straight pull so the snatch block is a godsend.

When I was considering buying a winch my uncle had a great analogy.  He said a logging winch is like a farmers combine.  You won't use it all the time, but when you need it nothing else will do.

Doug in SW IA

sawman

Wallenstein FX85

sawman

Wallenstein FX85

Texas Ranger

Replying to the title, I respectfully disagree with your wive being wife of the year.  Mine is, for putting up with my mouth and butt for 50 years.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Looks like you are doing fine and having fun. :)

sawman

Had fun until it started raining.
I do believe I'm going to like this thing.
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!