iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steers

Started by Redhorseshoe, October 21, 2021, 11:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was talking to the local Ponsse techs about DEF and tier 4 systems yesterday. They said they've only had a few DEF quality sensors go bad, the problem is the machine throws a fault code but the operators keep running them, hoping they clear out. Well then it locks the system and puts the engine in limp mode. But more in general, they said it seems the machines and trucks that are having issues, are the ones that idle excessively  The DEF systems don't do well with idle time, basically, so it is something to avoid.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

Did you get the Kubota door?  It's $3K, but my dealer also recommends the aftermarket ones, like the "Shield" version, 1/2" poly with a scratch resistant finish, direct fit for $700. 

The new Kubotas come with a 5 year DEF warranty, and he says they have gotten much better than in the past.  He said they used to be a DEF disaster.

Do you have a picture of your strainer install?

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

You might want to look into a Demo Dozer bucket. They are pretty incredible. This bucket has the removable floor. I can dig, haul dirt and other materials. Take the side plates off grapple monster logs and with the removable floor out see real well. Take floor out and use as a land plane and rock bucket. With the grapples down use as a Dozer and it works absolutely amazing. The class three receivers has unlimited uses for additional tools to use and any use you could imagine. There are many videos on U Tube of it in action. They are expensive but worth it. Use high grade steel and made in Iowa. 

KenMac

Congrats Mr. Yellowhammer! I'm very pleased to know that my off and on again research for the same type machine produced the same results as yours!! Only complaint I've heard regularly is the A/C ducts are on the same side and the off side can get warm in hottest weather. Maybe the SVL-97-2's fixed that.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

YellowHammer

The SVL-97-2 have several improvements, and are supposed to be more user friendly.  One of the things that helped me decide was the incredible reliability of my Kubota mower.  Also, that the Takeuchi uses a Kubota engine.  I can say that after driving around all day, I got in the cab of the 97 and sat back and relaxed.  I about dozed off.  That was a good sign.  

Another thing I saw, and I'm not sure I understand it, is the strength of the front glass door.  Road vehicles have a front safety glass windshield that won't shatter.  I personally had a vehicle kick up a wrench on the road and it stuck halfway through the windshield on my Chevy pickup, with the glass still intact.  However, when I was looking t at the Taks, they had one where the front winshield had exploded into thousands of little pieces of glass laying everywhere.  This is the same as what @nativewolf  describes.  So why isn't the front windshield an automotive style safety glass instead of just tempered glass?

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

bigtim

Yes. Yes. Get the lexan. Cost me a right eye. 

barbender

Forestry equipment has Lexan windows for a reason.

nativewolf

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 23, 2021, 01:08:45 PM
Did you get the Kubota door?  It's $3K, but my dealer also recommends the aftermarket ones, like the "Shield" version, 1/2" poly with a scratch resistant finish, direct fit for $700.

The new Kubotas come with a 5 year DEF warranty, and he says they have gotten much better than in the past.  He said they used to be a DEF disaster.

Do you have a picture of your strainer install?
So glad on the DEF issue...Mine is 3 years old now.  I would rarely say this but...buy the Kubota version. The doors are heavy and are going to need fiddling and it is a huge failure point.  I frankly think they should not sell them to anyone with a mulching intent without the door.  To me that is borderline negligent.  That glass will break, easily and there is nothing like a 5" diam piece of wood sitting beside your head to make you think about life.  
@bigtim *DanG sorry to hear about the eye.  It was a close call for us.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Will do on the screen,it is a cheap napa part.  Also you should have the ability to finance the door with the machine.  

Kubota financed all my implements as well, fyi.  Grapple, 4/1 bucket.  Now I've seen @Walnut Beast bucket...I want one!
Liking Walnut

YellowHammer

I need to call my dealer and see if the frame for the OEM forestry door is as the same frame as the standard door.  If the frame is heavier duty, heavier track, frame, etc, then I'll probably just spend the $3K and have it put in by Kubota. 

If the door frame hardware is the same, then I'll probably go with an aftermarket bulletproof 1/2" windshield at 1/4 the price for the same (maybe more?) protection.  Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dteyBdRqzbA

The good news is since my current equipment has universal skid steer quick attach mounts, so all the attachments I have now will fit, including a heavy duty tooth bucket, demo grapple, hay spears, forks, and even my root ripper.  
YellowHammerisms:

K-Guy

Congratulations Robert
I just looked at one and like the front cab configuration with the vertical windsheild, that should reduce glare compared to the ones the are tilted towards the back.

I can't use one at my place, the ground is too soft, as I found out my first year on my property and a contractor did a year ago after I warned him not to bring it.

And yes I did give him a a big " I told you so!!" as I laughed at him.  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

boonesyard

YH, I have the same rig you just bought, we purchased it new at the beginning of this year and my guys have run the ?!$% out of it. It has performed and held up very well, and my guys can break an anvil. Yes, they have improved the DEF system substantially and the 5 yr warranty is a nice piece of mind. The machine is a beast, power to spare and the lift capacity is excellent. I think I may have mentioned it, but we really like the pilot controls vs the fly-by-wire, a better feel. I'll be moving a good bit of class 5 around the new mill shed this morning, looking forward to getting back in it.

Congrats on a great piece of equipment, hope it performs as well as ours has. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on November 24, 2021, 12:19:55 AM
Forestry equipment has Lexan windows for a reason.
Exactly right! Extremely dangerous ! I can think of several recent incidents of people getting hit and very close calls hitting metal with the mulcher and it coming through the cab!! How and what ? One guy had a small piece of rebar come through the gasket area in a CAT 299 and stuck in his cab by his head. Lucky! Heavy wire also. A couple guys had some come through the metal. BE SAFE NOT STUPID! 

Walnut Beast

A few recent ones. Make sure you clean the belly pans out on the machines and debris around the engine area. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: bigtim on November 23, 2021, 10:43:16 PM
Yes. Yes. Get the lexan. Cost me a right eye.
Sorry to hear that! Listen to him! 'This is a piece of rebar he hit and came through the cab. Hit his leg and landed on his lap. Pictures not real clear. Was on a video. 

mike_belben

For what these machines cost i dont know why they dont have CO2 flood or dry foam suppression systems. Id expect the insurance industry to push them into that. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I agree Mike, you sure see enough of them burnt up 

YellowHammer

I'm surprised I never saw an OEM fire extinguisher on any of them.  It's required on my Forklift.  I'll have one on this for sure.  Plus insurance.  

With these being so low to the ground, how can you even reach the belly pan? Or is that part of the problem, you can't?  

I'll tell you something, seeing these fires in the rear end of the machine makes a rear escape hatch pretty useless.  So having a front door or escape hatch that can open in any loader position is crucial.

What's the best way to clean these out, pressure washer, by hand, leaf blower?

YellowHammerisms:

barbender

All of the above, YH. The only way I can get under my skid steer is to drive it up on timbers.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: mike_belben on November 24, 2021, 07:07:11 PM
For what these machines cost i dont know why they dont have CO2 flood or dry foam suppression systems. Id expect the insurance industry to push them into that.
I think it's a option on the CAT. Really expensive 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 24, 2021, 11:24:21 PM
I'm surprised I never saw an OEM fire extinguisher on any of them.  It's required on my Forklift.  I'll have one on this for sure.  Plus insurance.  

With these being so low to the ground, how can you even reach the belly pan? Or is that part of the problem, you can't?  

I'll tell you something, seeing these fires in the rear end of the machine makes a rear escape hatch pretty useless.  So having a front door or escape hatch that can open in any loader position is crucial.

What's the best way to clean these out, pressure washer, by hand, leaf blower?
Like Barbender said on cleaning 👍. The ASV RT 120 F has a fire extinguisher in the cab and the rear window with guarding on it is the escape hatch. The belly pans are hinged and with 15+ground clearance it's pretty easy to get underneath. If your not mulching all the time your not going to have to do it as often. Just be prepared and aware of all the dangers and you will be fine. 

Bruno of NH

I know Big Bob is a fossil , but I drop the belly pan 2x a year.
Lots of stuff comes out , I was surprised at how much.
It's not easy , but also not hard . It's very heavy.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

Im sure fire is really good for replacement sales. 

Its just surprising that the home lending industry has been able to force fire regs but not the iron lenders. 

Years ago i read the fire forensics website of a guy who contracted to the iron insurers and his entire business was blaming operators to deny claims.  Oil leaks and debris were his go-to screwyou so dont think insurance is eager to cover a melted mulcher. 
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

KenMac

KTAC insurance has a pretty good reputation for settling claims fairly from what I've been able to determine. Best coverage I can find for my B26 by far. Just fyi.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Thank You Sponsors!