iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steers

Started by Redhorseshoe, October 21, 2021, 11:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I spent some time on a late model Cat CTL today. It is the softest riding skid/track loader that I've ever operated. 

Apparently Cat has some type of suspension on their track loaders that really smooths out the rough ride.

I was impressed.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

When I went to visit them, they told me that they had the entire undercarriage mounted via a huge torsion axle suspension system.  I was supposed to be extremely smooth, and it sounds like it was.  A cross between a ASV and a conventional undercarriage as far as smooth ride.  

I looked at them, visited twice, and wow, beautiful machines but they cost almost 30% more than a comparable hp rated unit by other vendors, even the more expensive brands.  They started at $100K and went to $140k when similar HP machines, topped out at $100K or well less.  For example, a top of the line Deere was $90K with everything.  The Bobcat was $86K.  The Kubota, with a $3K cash discount is $73.  Plus I'd heard the Cats have more than most a tendency to poof into flames when mulching.  At least that's what I was told, although also from what I was also told, pretty much every brand has a tendency to light up like a tennis ball dipped in gasoline.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Since the entire engine/hydraulics are enclosed, small debris collects underneath the engine, etc. providing a perfect tinderbox for the smallest spark.

That is what happened with the New Holland that I had to put out last June.

Here the owner is removing the panel to access the battery to disconnect the battery cables.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

battery arc?  the new holland battery location and thin tin right there kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. 

the cats use a simple rigid track frame but the machine rides in the cradle between the track frames suspended on 4 rubber torsion stub axles exactly like a dexter torflex trailer axle end.  i bet cat licensed it from dexter.  looks much cheaper to manufacture than the ASV torsion bogies of the prior art. 

Praise The Lord

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

farmfromkansas

The neighbors have a Bobcat with suspension under the cab.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

newoodguy78

Do you know what year that machine is?
I've spent a lot of time in a T300 Bobcat , great dependable tough machine but man did that thing ride rough.  Glad to hear they improved. 

OH logger

I think bobcat started with the torsion bar about 4 years ago if I had to guess which REALLY smoothed out the ride. No option of suspension under cab as far as I know. My T870 has torsion bar my old T770 had nothing. WAY better ride 
john

Foragefarmer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on January 30, 2022, 06:03:49 PM
These are two different guys I know that cover thousands of acres and look what's on the front of the skids  

A lot tighter quarters around here. Did a 2.5 acre old homesite property for a couple days this week.

There is a state road up ahead through the privet in there somewhere.

The state road is just out of frame to the left.

I found where they used to work on cars. Stuck tight in the head, had to back it out with a chain wrapped around a tree hooked to the teeth. 
Trucks, Tractors, T190, and an LT40

farmfromkansas

Can't remember the # of the neighbors Bobcat, but it is fairly new, maybe 3 years old.  Has tracks and about all the options.  Not the biggest machine.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Walnut Beast

Not mine but that's one reason besides

a fire that you need a rear escape. 

711ac

Texting  ;D
Then the poor sob has to climb back in once someone has a chain on his tail!

YellowHammer

I guess somebody forgot to say "Hey, there's a ditch over there."

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Walnut Beast

Hope you had a good Birthday Yellowhammer!

YellowHammer

It was pretty good.  I didn't touch the sawmill all day.   ;D

YellowHammerisms:

beenthere

Me thinks someone has a new toy.... work machine.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

Well Hooray!  My CTL finally showed up and also my Ground Shark cutter.  I've been using it for a few days now, and it is extremely smooth and seems to run the cutter very well, at least with what little I've run it.  I've also got a 4 way bucket that's pretty nice, and of course all my other attachments including grapple, root cutters etc all fit, so I've been like a kid in a candy store.

I've been trimming limb, only maybe a quarter mile so far, but I've already discovered an issue.  If a tree branch gives me any lip, I just cut the whole tree down, which in some cases is probably a little extreme.  It's rated at a 10" tree, but I've whacked a couple bigger.

I'm a newbie with CTL, so I thought it would be cool to film it.  

Reaction Video! - Amazing! Using A Hybrid Brush Mulcher for the First Time - WOW! - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

Congratulations!! Looks like your pretty happy with everything!!! Glad you are! Great video 👍

customsawyer

Great video.
You will learn there are tricks to that brush cutter to get the best performance.  Don't ask me what they are as I don't have them all figured out yet.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

The biggest problem is that I have so much for it to do, I'm not sure where to start. I love the open door ability with it, where I can talk to Martha while I'm operating. 

There is one thing I wish I had filmed, because I didn't know it was there.  It's the manual hydraulic line pressure release on the low flow male connector.  I was having issues getting my line connected and having to with to float mode to release pressure, so I called up my dealer and asked why, he said take my hand, make a first, and punch the male low flow side connector.  The entire fitting will translate 1/8" into the manifold, and release the pressure.  I said "Whaaa???" and I took a dead blow hammer, gave the fitting a little tap, and instant magic, not more hydraulic pressure.  I have been hooking up hydraulics for decades and have always been fighting this and this is the first time I've heard it????  Where was the memo????  Jeez. 

I'm also looking at getting some long forks for it, so I can more easily unload freight off trucks, or even logs off our trailer.  I had seen some sets, but they are only rated for 5500 lbs, which isn't strong enough.  I've been looking at Class 3 sets, but I'm finding forks, but not skid steer carriers.  Ideally, I'd like to get some 7 foot long sets, 6 footers minimum.

YellowHammerisms:

Andries

Very good looking machines Robert! Once you have all of the attachments for all of the chores, it'll be a bit like a Swiss Army knife, except way better. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Cornerstone

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 11, 2022, 07:39:20 AM
I'm also looking at getting some long forks for it, so I can more easily unload freight off trucks, or even logs off our trailer.  I had seen some sets, but they are only rated for 5500 lbs, which isn't strong enough.  I've been looking at Class 3 sets, but I'm finding forks, but not skid steer carriers.  Ideally, I'd like to get some 7 foot long sets, 6 footers minimum.
Hey there YellowHammer, congratulations on your new toys! I ran into this same issue recently. I already had a set of forks and a carrier from a tractor that I sold a while back, but the mounting tabs were not designed to fit my skid steer. I cut the tabs off, bought a 1/2" thick mounting plate for skid steers and welded the carrier to the mounting plate. You may be able to find a set of forks and carrier used, buy a skid mounting plate for a couple hundred bucks and solve your issue. Possibly save some greenbacks at the same time. I know a set of 48" skid steer forks around these parts of Texas were starting at $1000. I bet a set of 72" forks would be a bunch more.

On a side note, I recently bought a very similar brush cutter, I got the extreme duty from SkidPro also with a 10" capacity. It's kind of a power trip to be able to take out trees that quick isn't it! Ya kinda have to watch yourself and not get carried away!   
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

YellowHammer

That's a great idea, I will start looking for those.  

Yeah, it's fun to take out trees especially when my tractor bush hog would really fight it and this cutter doesn't even hardly feel the hit.  
YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

The problem I see with the longer forks is I would think they would be easier to bend. These machines are strong. I have bent my 4' forks twice that Deere sold me with my machine. I'm now searching for a stronger set. On the other hand I've seen 8' forks on those big Taylor forklifts and they don't seem to get bent. I think my problem is in getting logs you end up trying to get one off of the top of some more and put the forks in some bad angles with the weight at the tips.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Now that's a weapon!!! 
Looks like some nice ground you have there. 
I have rocks sticking up about once every 10 feet. ;D Then there are a bunch more that the leaves have covered up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!