iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steers

Started by Redhorseshoe, October 21, 2021, 11:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I agree, it's got to happen, but when?  I think it will be a many, many months, at least.  All the commercial guys need to refresh and rebuy as soon their equipment hits an hour mark and will pay whatever it takes to make sure what equipment they have is new and reliable.  That's before the private people even get a shot at the list.  So at least around here, there is always a pretty long waiting list.  I just got off the waiting list for a pickup truck, a commercial zero turn mower, and a CTL, and now am back on the waiting list for an excavator and another pickup.  The only thing that is different is that the waiting list has grown LONGER the second time around.  What was 3 months is now 6 to 8.  If you need something next year, order it now and you may get it.  I may get my pickup truck next summer.

Case in point, according to my Ford dealer, on one of the Ford 150 packages (I'm not sure which), Ford filled the entire 2023 production package allocation in one week.  One week, and they closed the order window for the year for that build.

The 2023 Ford Superduty window open mid October, and the same dealer said I need to have my order set and ready to go the day that it opens, because days of hesitation may cost months of backlog time.  I've priced used Super Duty's and the low mileage or new cost much more than new.  A 2022 Platinum dually diesel has a list for $88K and there was one here in town that was for sale and gone in less than a week that sold for $116K.  Same truck, same year, sold for 28K more than list because it was in stock. 

Things are crazy....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bigblockyeti

I've got a buddy that works for Freighliner chassis and they couldn't be happier right now.  Steel is down over 32% in the last year and orders are still backed way up.  They've retained what labor they need but aren't willing to pay the going rate + new inflation.  The result is fewer people saving the company money and cheaper materials, also saving the company money.  It's absolutely not a commodity issue any more, it's fully transitioned into greed and there's no shortage of customers so there's no need to alter protocol.  The Fed needs to quit bumping rates by fractions of a point and hit it hard with 2-3 at a time.  I need to buy CD's at over 8% sooner than later.

barbender

Yes, but the other side of that is the number of foreclosures pending on recreational equipment, I'm told. Up here, the big ice house, "Ice Castles" have became a HUGE industry in the last 10 years. They are in essence, an RV trailer that the axles lift and they sit right down on the ice. They have everything that the nice new 5th wheel or pull behind campers do, plus holes you can open through the floor to fish through the ice. There are literal cities of them up here on the lakes in the winter, and people will use them for campers in the summer, too. They probably have an average retail in the area of $30-$50k I would imagine (plus the new diesel pickup to pull it). Anyhow I'm told the amount of those that are defaulting is through the roof, lots of car loans and such too. So a lot of those people that have those new Ford pickups on order might not really have the money, at least not if there's a hiccup in the economy.
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

I know around here there seems to be a lot of folks going hunting or fishing that pull out on a Thursday morning. Get back the next week on Tuesday, then leave again on the next Thursday. I'm working like a rented mule wondering what they did on Wednesday to be able to take the rest of the week off. They do it two or three weeks a month. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

In my mind, the first sign that the prices are going down will be when there starts to be commercial inventory at the dealerships, and I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

I still remember when I was in the Kubota dealership buying the Kubota zero turn this winter.  I was kind of haggling on price with no success and this guy walks in, holds his open hand up with 5 fingers in the air, points to my guy, and says call me when they come in and walks out.  That quick.  I ask what the heck happened and that fast he ordered 5 of the exact same mower I was haggling on price on.  Price was not an issue, $100 grand of mowers ordered with the wave of a hand.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

711ac

I dropped in my 'bota dealer about another issue, got to talking about the 97slv's and the mystery 120 hp secret machine. 
They're about a 9 location dealership and they have over 50 97's on order! 
I'm hoping to find a (very) low hour machine that's just not being utilized by a dirt outfit. 
Right now any mulching will be for TSI work on my ground. 
Got in bed with the USDA farm bureau/NRCS for some of those projects, tsi and habitat/food plots etc. so brand spanking new is hard to justify for me. 

PoginyHill

Quote from: 711ac on September 24, 2022, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: PoginyHill on September 23, 2022, 09:46:41 AM
Wait a few months. Demand will plummet and dealers will be offering deals again.
This is what I'm counting on also although I think it's a little farther away.
Agree. The longer we go, the more the playing field will shift in favor of buyers. But the ball has started to roll. Mortgage rates are 2X a year ago and the Fed won't stop raising rates until unemployment gets higher (what they term the "employment picture softening"). Most believe a recession is in the cards (beyond the 2 quarters of negative GDP we've already seen), the question is how long and how deep. So, yes, the longer we wait, the easier it'll be to buy stuff - assuming we still have the money to spend.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Walnut Beast

Said I would get it. My friend that sold two Kubota/ ASV dealerships personally had a Kubota skid and this head. They were going to use it on some other projects and never did. About 8 to 15 hrs. on both units. My buddy that's a salesman that stayed with the new owner gave me a price and said to call Mark. I did. And let's just say on a 42k head I asked and he said yes for me. A incredible price.  

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

The Rage disc mulcher has some unique features. From a few guys I talked to they are pretty impressed.  What many people don't realize with a disc mulcher is you mulch trees and the big ones you can cut down with the disc then put the grapples on or use excavator and put in piles to burn or to the mill. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hBmzZAgPCqM

Bruno of NH

Quote from: customsawyer on September 25, 2022, 07:11:02 AM
I know around here there seems to be a lot of folks going hunting or fishing that pull out on a Thursday morning. Get back the next week on Tuesday, then leave again on the next Thursday. I'm working like a rented mule wondering what they did on Wednesday to be able to take the rest of the week off. They do it two or three weeks a month.
I'm with you on this
I'm missing something 
I got to leave the mill this past Saturday for 2 hours my phone blew up.
Won't do that again
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Roads always need to be fixed and this looks to be the ticket! In the woods, field washouts to open driveways. After talking with Rick the owner. They have been making the units for three generations. Had a patent on the unit and they are used all over by government agencies to you name it. With the rippers the hardest concrete clay pack isn't a problem. This is the three blade power angle unit and for extra cutting a serrated blade can be put on.  https://www.grademax.net/skid-max

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Walnut Beast

They also make the units for or with three point and have a down pressure cylinder they offer for use with tractor 

customsawyer

I have one for my tractor. It doesn't have a cylinder on it but I can lengthen one of my lift arms and it does awesome for putting crown in a driveway.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Good to know and glad to hear Jake! I'm deciding on what size I'm going to get. I'm probably going with the 6' one so I can do some trails in the woods 

Walnut Beast

I asked Rick if this unit can handle really hard pack clay and rock that's like concrete and he said absolutely. I came across several videos but not the one I was 👀 for. Then I found one of a guy down in Texas on a nasty hard pack washed out road that had all sizes of rock ( not crushed rock) and he absolutely worked that unit and really made it back to a road. I was impressed! 

customsawyer

Here is a video of me using mine. Please keep in mind that I'm not the greatest at making these videos.

How I grade my driveway. - YouTube
www.thecustomsawyer.com

boonesyard

ABI attachments also makes a commercial grade grading attachment for skid steers, SR3, and a 3pt hitch mount for tractors, TR3. I own the commercial grade TR3 and can't say enough good things about it. I've owned it for 4 years and have used and abused it in all types of applications. It's bullet proof, and simple to set up once you get the hang of it. If used on a 3pt hitch, I highly recommend a hydraulic center link on the tractor.   
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

711ac

This type of grader is the answer for dirt/gravel roads.👍
I have one (roadrunner blade)
and this one I built 

They behave differently being pulled or pushed and if you're considering one and have a tractor and a big/heavy SS or CTL, get the option.
It grades alot more independently from the machine on the 3pt, and digs hard ground better with the down pressure of a SS.
Very short learning curve for great results.
And I'll 2nd or 3rd the hyd. top link for tractor use.

Walnut Beast

Very nice! I did see the Road runner has a optional up and down cylinder on each side or a manual adjustment for the blade. I need to ask Rick or maybe somebody else knows on the skid max the hydraulic or manual adjust is just forward and back on the blade angle from the one side and no up or down on blade. I'm assuming with that way to crown you are pulling the material to the side and the runners are going to want to ride up on the material to get the crown

customsawyer

If you  watch my video you'll see that most of the material is spilling over the bars. Mine are angled so the material is feed to the left side of the tractor, this is why I lower the lift arm on the right side.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

So are you guys saying the 3 point tractor version is better or the skid steer version?  I have a local place that has both.

Those big advantage of this is that if can crown the road vs using a 4 way bucket or landscape box?
YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

The biggest advantage to me over a box blade is that it brings my crusher run rocks back to the surface and redeposits it with in a few feet from where it was dug up. I can put crown in the road with my box blade but it won't let me bring the rock back to the surface. When you get it loaded you are just dragging dirt and rocks around.  Can't say which one is better as I have only ever had the one for my tractor. However now y'all have me wanting one for my skidsteer.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I wish you guys would hurry up and get one so I could see if if works good enough for me to buy one. :D :D
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!