iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen Millers

Started by Resonator, December 04, 2022, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reride82

My trip home from Central Montana yesterday I saw temps as warm as 59F. Elk Park was 48F, almost a 100 degrees warmer than last week :D Packing for that trip was fun, I had flip flops and thermal boots in the same bag :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Southside

It was 8F here yesterday morning, getting some thawing today and the next couple of days, then just as the ground thaws, more rain is forecasted. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

alecs

How fast does a log freeze?  

My experience with things freezing is mostly with the ice on my millpond.  When it is in the teens overnight and clear skies, I gain about 1" of ice per night, slower the more ice there is.  Does a log freeze the same way?  Likewise, how long does a log take to thaw?

I have walnut, cherry, and ash, all about 20" dia, that I want to cut but don't want to run into half frozen logs.

moodnacreek

In my location logs freeze about 2 weeks after felling in freezing weather. Logs that are by their nature somewhat dry inside may not be a problem. Others with a wet sap ring like white pine will saw fine after the sap area has been sawn off. Real wet stuff like aspen and maple can be a real problem. Saw teeth  with a nub or notch really help.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

I think I'll close every first of Jan. I'm getting cleaned out of lumber. I mean, the barns are empty  :o
Tomorrow I'm getting a timber frame list for the spring. Some 22' More list of other things, I think a [man cave]
Got trucks coming with logs all winter.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D :D :D
Have a friend coming next week to help tighten up the HOT ROD shop, so to turn on the heat.
Have to fix the GMC 3500 4x4 first. Then the HOT ROD. 8) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 29, 2022, 10:30:35 PM
I think I'll close every first of Jan. I'm getting cleaned out of lumber. I mean, the barns are empty  :o
Tomorrow I'm getting a timber frame list for the spring. Some 22' More list of other things, I think a [man cave]
Got trucks coming with logs all winter.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D :D :D
Have a friend coming next week to help tighten up the HOT ROD shop, so to turn on the heat.
Have to fix the GMC 3500 4x4 first. Then the HOT ROD. 8)
Are you insulating the hot rod shop ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Crossroads

The last 2 weeks have been interesting. It started with a low of -13° then warmed up to 41° and started raining which turned things into a skating rink. Now we're back down to low 30's and 6" more of fresh snow. I have been able to get a good order out and have another order to work on, but I don't have the logs I need for it and it seems they are hard to come by. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Resonator

Like the roof over the mill! smiley_thumbsup

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

This frozen miller is seriously jealous of that roof!
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

Me too, I hope to build a roof over my mill one of these days years. :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Yeah I've only had my mill for about 15 years🤦‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Crossroads

That roof is definitely a big improvement! Now, I just need to cover the sides to stop the snow from drifting in. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Peter Drouin

No, Bruno. I like to see all the wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!