Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

You are just handy everywhere Doc!💪

richhiway

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 26, 2022, 08:17:54 PM
Geez I hate to follow and epic MM post! Those are some slabs you are cutting aside, but I get it.
@richiway is that a Peavy mfg. co spud or a Garret Wade spud? Just curious. If/when I buy one, I'd like a longer handle. They just seem too short at under 2' or so.

Doc, how come you didn't show us the stich work? I am trying to learn here and the last time I did one of those the Doc doing the followup said I needed some pointers for the future. ;D (although he complimented my ability to avoid any infection.) Apparently I was lacking in 'style points'. Everybody is a critic. The way I looked at it: "nobody died". :D
Peavey Manufacturing.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

Got stress??  :D

Back to sawing framing lumber today.  2412 bf of 2X4's, 2X6's & 2X8's sawed in 5 hours. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

I have been sawing a few logs for a neighbor who lives about a mile up the road. He brought me this big ugly red oak stump and helped me load it on the mill. He wanted it cut into planks 2 and 3 inches thick and maybe some 4x4s.

My sawing head is all the way up so this is where we start the first cut.

This oak had been down a while and the wood was dry but the mill behaved very well and got the job done.

Happy sawing.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

TroyC

Quote from: Magicman on July 27, 2022, 07:52:59 PMGot stress?? :D

Gotta ask MM, if you left the beam under that stressed flitch, would that beam warp and do weird things? I'm asking because I cut a couple beams out of a large SYP, had some stress on jacket boards also. Two years later the beams did warp some so I put them back on the mill and trimmed them a little. Just wondering if they will continue to misbehave.

Magicman

Actually that cant got sawn into 2X6's and amazingly only that jacket slab showed stress.  That was one of two that acted the same way.  I have seen that happen before but probably not quite that drastically.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

What I might be sawing...
Good repeat customer texted me about a possible portable job within an hour from home, drove out to give him a ballpark estimate. Mixed bag of Oak, Maple, White Cedar, Black Cherry, Red Pine and "Pulpwood" Poplar. Sounds likely I will get the job, but I've learned the hard way not to count my chickens before they're hatched. I don't even count them after they're hatched. I wait until they start peepin', and cheepin', and peckin' at the corn. And then, and only then, do I start checkin' the chicken addition.  
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Making an hour+ trip to check a "maybe" job causes me to make up for it on the travel/setup charge.  Stuff like that can usually be handled with a couple of pictures and text.

Resonator

Yup, they'll be a travel charge added to the milling job price.

caveman

JMoore and I sawed about 4000 linear feet of 1x4's this morning for a guy from Plant City.  John joked that he would probably show up with a single axle trailer.  He was right.  The customer showed up with a single axle, 12' long aluminum trailer with fenders and high sides.  I put one of the four packs of lumber on the trailer and it nearly lifted the rear tires of his half ton truck off of the ground.  We let them secure their load and suggested they keep it under 35 mph to avoid the tail wagging the dog.  He paid in full and will evidently make some more trips next week.
Caveman

richhiway

Going to cut some more siding for the planer shed today. Enjoying the most perfect weather here in Upstate NY. I see the heat wave continues over much of the U.S. Don't know how you guys get used to it!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Sixacresand

;
Fear knot the pine top from the tree service.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

You have knotty lumber in your future.  ::)

WDH

Probably some wavy knotty lumber!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

The guy was pretty happy with his knotty 3/4 x 7's for a shed lap siding-out of his ugly log.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

OlJarhead

Didn't get pics of the English walnut I milled yesterday but video which will come out in a few weeks.

Meanwhile this is some black locust from a job last month.  Just scraps the customer didn't want so I snagged 'em and will see what I can do once dry, but I left leaning against the work bench due to back trouble.    ow stickered though so we shall see.

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Sixacresand

Not hard to find a home for pieces like that.  

Resonator

doc henderson

and it is swimming.   :)   scuba-smiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

bags

Only took me 2 beers and a shot of crown to see the fish--- probably cause'in you had them swim'in both ways. That sure is some nice look'in grain though.

Old Greenhorn

When I say I am trying to clear out the junk logs, well, this one is typical.

The sweep was bad enough that with the clamp all the way up I really couldn't get a grip, so I kept the chain turner up there to stabilize it for the opening cut. And yes, this was the best way to start, the other options were worse (see that burl?).

You're asking "why?", well it's either make usable lumber or burn it in the OWB. I only got 16 1x8's out of this, but that probably better than burning it. The other 8' I bucked off this log will go in the OWB. That was worse.
Some days you eat the bear...

The customer only wants to hear those magic words "your order is done."
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I am wore out! Loaded and hooked up the mill yesterday afternoon. Got up and left the house about 5:20 a.m and drove 70 miles to a many times repeat customer.

The previous trips were to saw the framing in the shed in the background. The customer built it to store some of his equipment and supplies but his wife decided it was better suited for a line dancing venue so guess what it used for now. :D

Here is the whack of logs to be sawed. Mostly ash, some hickory, black locust and some American elm. This guy has an excavator and a big JD tractor with forks. He'd load the logs with the tractor by suspending them over my loading arms and I'd lift them with the mill so no hard banging or such. When I'd finish a heavy beam or post the customer would change to his excavator under the shed and the helper would put a choker on and hook it to the excavator, the customer would swing it to the stack and the helper would free the choker and stack any 2X4s I had cut as side lumber. Note the paint on the end of the logs.

Here is the customer's cut list. He has done this before and this works real well for all of us.

At the end of the job a conservative tally was around 1860 bf. Many of the smaller logs only required 4-6 cuts to get a beam or post and maybe a 2X4 or such. The larger/longer slabs were too heavy for one helper so I ended up helping the helper and by the end of the day we were both pretty wiped out.

One big maple (see the blue paint) showed itself but after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I finally got 3-3.5" X 12"X 12' stair stringers out of it. The last ash log (See left end of pix) was big, odd shaped with a big cut off limb. We had thunder and threatening rain all afternoon and it finally started a light rain on the last log. To add to the joy I ran out of gas on it. It has been a long time since I ran through a complete tank of gas but we had 7.8 engine hour on the job and some tough sawing. I used about 6 blades - none broken, just dulled.

Posts and beams. A couple of live edge 8/4 slabs the customer and helper "rescued" before I could edge them into 2X4s.

2X4s.

We finished 12 hours after we started with a short break for lunch. I collected my fee with a very nice bonus, loaded hooked up and got home about 9:00 p.m, covered the mill and will unload, unhook and perform my 1200 hour service tomorrow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Gere Flewelling

I have been sawing framing lumber for my BIL off and on since the end of May.  We work at it for a couple of hours in the evening sawing until dark a couple days a week. Work really messes with hobby time.  Since I retired a week ago, I have been able to work mornings and get much more accomplished.  It's been too hot to saw in the afternoons though (especially since I don't have to). I finished up sawing a fair sized wack of logs yesterday.  We were sawing mostly hemlock, pine, ash, and maple that my BIL and his boys cut out of their maple orchard last winter.  He is building a large hay storage barn at his farm and needed this framing lumber and boards to build the gambrel roof to go on top of the existing structure.  The last log was a 30" pine that the boys came hauling in at the last minute.  They cut it into a 16' and 8' lengths.  The 16' log was a bit of a challenge to get on the mill as all he had was a mini excavator.  All the farm tractors were off haying and had loaders removed.  The lumber from this big 16 footer was very good quality for a tree that had been standing for a year with the top broken off.  I did the math with help from my cheat book from Hudson Forestry.  I appears we got 322 bd.ft. from that one log (small pile in picture).  I think I am going to enjoy taking my hobby to a bigger level now that I have time.  I just need to spend more time taking pictures at appropriate times to better show what I am working on.  Much of the lumber we sawed was removed to another covered area as we sawed.  What is pictured was from the last few days.

Fun times for sure!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Magicman

GAB

Dear OG:
Concerning the log in the first picture in reply 1120 you needed to rotate it 90° and saw fire pit benches.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!