iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Probably too long for fire pit benches but a nice thought. I had several yesterday similar to that one that were challenging especially with the size and the curves that would not allow the head to pass and such.

I opened my e-mail this morning and found a thank you e-mail from my customer which was a classy touch. He had already given me a nice bonus for the work but he knew it was a long, hard day and I still had a long drive home. It is nice to be appreciated once in a while. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Sometime with crooked logs, and if the cut list will allow, I will lay the largest and straightest portion on the sawmill bed and saw it as a shorter log.  You will usually still get a few full length boards and the rest will be shorter and the bf yield will usually be more.  I virtually never shorten a log because there is still recoverable "meat" in that top end.  If you buck it off, it's gone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: GAB on August 06, 2022, 10:18:07 AM
Dear OG:
Concerning the log in the first picture in reply 1120 you needed to rotate it 90° and saw fire pit benches.
GAB
Benches were not on the cut list and when it's near 100°, I cut what's on the list and get out. :D
 Believe it or not that was the only 'hold' I could get for my opening cut. At 90° for that I had the sweep hitting the head column and at the other rotation I had the burl hitting the column.
 I did the best I could with what I had and where I was.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Gere Flewelling

I have spent the last week finishing up framing lumber for BIL's gambrel roof on new hay barn.  We decided to give cutting out truss components a try on the sawmill.  We used some scrap boards cut to fit over a couple of cross bunks and an 8' backer 2x6 to go against the squaring arms, we were able to fit 26 1''x8 +10" boards in place at a time and saw them all at the same angles.  We cut one side of the peak at a time.  Then we flipped them around to saw the other angle.  I used a log dog to clamp 13 pieces together on each section.  It worked much better than I had anticipated.  Biggest problem was remembering not to raise the saw at the finish of each cut.  Kind of a force of habit when sawing normally.  I am sure others have used this method, but it was a first for me. We got done in about an hour what would have taken days on a table saw and would have been difficult to cut consistently.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

GAB

Dear GF:
The name of the game on a lot of speciality requests is FIXTURING.
Those that can imagine it, and execute it, will be more successful than those that can't.
Starting with scrap or sacrificial pieces as practice pieces is desirable when dealing with high value material.
I cut some tapered pieces for leveling a floor in a home.  The first 3 or 4 tries went in the scrap pile.
I did get the customer what he wanted.
For your next challenge, if you are daring, try cutting octogan posts for a porch.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

trimguy

What are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components, nail boards  ? I have only seen plywood used and I assumed it was because of the different grain orientation.

doc henderson

I would use ply so it does not split under stress, and I always like glue as well.  also I think staples hold better than nails, and less likely to shear than screws.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

Quote from: trimguy on August 09, 2022, 12:12:32 PM
What are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components, nail boards  ? I have only seen plywood used and I assumed it was because of the different grain orientation.
I think it depends on what you are building.
1" would be ok for a dog house, however for a 20' or wider structure I would not recommend it unless you are doing a model.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

doc henderson

I have used OSB for sheds and smaller stuff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Quote from: trimguy on August 09, 2022, 12:12:32 PMWhat are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components
If I did it my choice would be a spiral grain species such as Sweetgum, Elm, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trimguy

Thanks everyone. When this Georgia heat goes away we are going to build a sawmill / air drying shed at my buddies house, it will be 30' wide. I just thought maybe we save a couple of dollars not having to buy plywood.

Resonator

Toured a truss factory years ago, all the trusses were built with steel tie (gang nail) plates, workers had portable hydraulic press to clamp each joint. I've done similar building small trusses (just hammering them on) and they've held up well. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

beenthere

Quote from: trimguy on August 09, 2022, 08:29:58 PM
Thanks everyone. When this Georgia heat goes away we are going to build a sawmill / air drying shed at my buddies house, it will be 30' wide. I just thought maybe we save a couple of dollars not having to buy plywood.
Don't really see where boards would be a problem, but then we really have not seen how you plan to use them in place of plywood. Not a direct substitute as need to adjust to compensate for the qualities of plywood over boards. 
How about filling us in?? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trimguy

I was going to use them as nail plates on the joints in the truss. I didn't know how much chance there would be of the grain splitting. 1 by nail plates on full 2 by truss material.

Larry

Quote from: trimguy on August 09, 2022, 08:29:58 PM
If you have any big subdivisions under construction drive through them and you will find all kinds of osb scraps in the dumpster.  A lot of odd shaped pieces from the roof.  Ask first but they give it away.

Do not cut the plywood to fit on the truss joints, just staple (hold better than nails) and glue down any old way.  Next come back with a router using a pattern bit and trim to the truss.  It's super fast and easy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fluidpowerpro

Have not sawed for a few weeks and was getting depressed so I decided to saw up 3 gnarly Red Oak logs I've had sitting around. Yes, they do show signs of PPB but sawing them still cheered me up. 

Ended up with about 465 bf of 4/4 boards.

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Old Greenhorn

Feels good to hop back on the horse for a bit don't it? I haven't run my own mill since April of '21, too busy making lumber down the road and I surely would like to clean out the logs I had cued up back then. Not to worry about the PPB's, just spray the heck out of them. Good oak is good oak, dry it and make something fun.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....

Old Greenhorn

WDH

Your logs are too wet for powderpost beetles.  They only infest dry wood.  Your beetles are most likely ambrosia beetles and they cannot live in dry wood so they leave once your boards begin drying. They are not an issue except for the little black lined holes that they leave behind. 

However, once your oak boards do get air dried below 20%, they are certainly at risk for powderpost infestation, and spraying with borate now is a good plan if you plan to use the wood for inside use or furniture.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fluidpowerpro

Thanks for the info. The boards have some small holes in them, about the size of a pin head, so I assumed PPB.
Change is hard....

Magicman

Ambrosia Beetle holes with the black stain is actually a character plus with many woodworkers.  I know that it was with me back when I had a cabinet shop.

Some furniture makers will add some black dots to a finished cabinet, etc. to mimic Ambrosia Beetle holes.

WDH

I have seen faux ambrosia beetle holes in furniture too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fluidpowerpro

This is probably not the right thread to ask this question, but since is about the oak pictured below, I'll ask it here. Last spring someone reached out to me asking if I had any 4/4 red oak boards and what I would charge for it. I gave them a number for wet boards. I won't say what I quoted because quite honestly I didn't have any idea of what to quote, and I still don't... 
This person told me he was exploring costs and were in the early stages of setting up a business making some sort of craft item to sell. Forgive me, I forget what it was exactly. 
Just out of curiosity, I reached out to them today asking how their venture was coming along. He responded and said that they have started mfg but are not up to full speed yet. I asked if he was still interested in wood from me and he responded that they are buying 4/4 ro boards, kiln dried, and planing down to 15/16. They want select grade, at least 5" wide. All of what I have is wider than 5" so that's no big deal but I need to learn about grading because I don't know what I have. 
I did look into the cost to have kiln dried and was quoted $200/1000 bf, 500 bf min, plus .10. / Bf stickering charge, so basically .30/bf total. I have never had anything kd before. Does that cost seem reasonable? I would have to drive about 75 miles each way to drop off and pick up, so that will be some cost I need to account for also.
In summary, 
1. Is that cost for drying fair?
2. How much can I reasonably charge for this wood?
I would quote it delivered assuming I can drop it off on my way back from picking up at the kiln.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Change is hard....

DWyatt

I'm not sure I would put wood in my kiln for that. It seems cheap, especially for oak.

Thank You Sponsors!