The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??  (Read 73550 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??
« Reply #1120 on: August 05, 2022, 10:06:03 PM »
When I say I am trying to clear out the junk logs, well, this one is typical.

The sweep was bad enough that with the clamp all the way up I really couldn't get a grip, so I kept the chain turner up there to stabilize it for the opening cut. And yes, this was the best way to start, the other options were worse (see that burl?).

You're asking "why?", well it's either make usable lumber or burn it in the OWB. I only got 16 1x8's out of this, but that probably better than burning it. The other 8' I bucked off this log will go in the OWB. That was worse.
Some days you eat the bear...

The customer only wants to hear those magic words "your order is done."
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1121 on: August 05, 2022, 10:11:44 PM »
  I am wore out! Loaded and hooked up the mill yesterday afternoon. Got up and left the house about 5:20 a.m and drove 70 miles to a many times repeat customer.

The previous trips were to saw the framing in the shed in the background. The customer built it to store some of his equipment and supplies but his wife decided it was better suited for a line dancing venue so guess what it used for now. :D

Here is the whack of logs to be sawed. Mostly ash, some hickory, black locust and some American elm. This guy has an excavator and a big JD tractor with forks. He'd load the logs with the tractor by suspending them over my loading arms and I'd lift them with the mill so no hard banging or such. When I'd finish a heavy beam or post the customer would change to his excavator under the shed and the helper would put a choker on and hook it to the excavator, the customer would swing it to the stack and the helper would free the choker and stack any 2X4s I had cut as side lumber. Note the paint on the end of the logs.

Here is the customer's cut list. He has done this before and this works real well for all of us.

At the end of the job a conservative tally was around 1860 bf. Many of the smaller logs only required 4-6 cuts to get a beam or post and maybe a 2X4 or such. The larger/longer slabs were too heavy for one helper so I ended up helping the helper and by the end of the day we were both pretty wiped out.

One big maple (see the blue paint) showed itself but after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I finally got 3-3.5" X 12"X 12' stair stringers out of it. The last ash log (See left end of pix) was big, odd shaped with a big cut off limb. We had thunder and threatening rain all afternoon and it finally started a light rain on the last log. To add to the joy I ran out of gas on it. It has been a long time since I ran through a complete tank of gas but we had 7.8 engine hour on the job and some tough sawing. I used about 6 blades - none broken, just dulled.

Posts and beams. A couple of live edge 8/4 slabs the customer and helper "rescued" before I could edge them into 2X4s.

2X4s.

We finished 12 hours after we started with a short break for lunch. I collected my fee with a very nice bonus, loaded hooked up and got home about 9:00 p.m, covered the mill and will unload, unhook and perform my 1200 hour service tomorrow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Gere Flewelling

• Hobby Miller
    • Share Post
« Reply #1122 on: August 06, 2022, 07:53:14 AM »
I have been sawing framing lumber for my BIL off and on since the end of May.  We work at it for a couple of hours in the evening sawing until dark a couple days a week. Work really messes with hobby time.  Since I retired a week ago, I have been able to work mornings and get much more accomplished.  It's been too hot to saw in the afternoons though (especially since I don't have to). I finished up sawing a fair sized wack of logs yesterday.  We were sawing mostly hemlock, pine, ash, and maple that my BIL and his boys cut out of their maple orchard last winter.  He is building a large hay storage barn at his farm and needed this framing lumber and boards to build the gambrel roof to go on top of the existing structure.  The last log was a 30" pine that the boys came hauling in at the last minute.  They cut it into a 16' and 8' lengths.  The 16' log was a bit of a challenge to get on the mill as all he had was a mini excavator.  All the farm tractors were off haying and had loaders removed.  The lumber from this big 16 footer was very good quality for a tree that had been standing for a year with the top broken off.  I did the math with help from my cheat book from Hudson Forestry.  I appears we got 322 bd.ft. from that one log (small pile in picture).  I think I am going to enjoy taking my hobby to a bigger level now that I have time.  I just need to spend more time taking pictures at appropriate times to better show what I am working on.  Much of the lumber we sawed was removed to another covered area as we sawed.  What is pictured was from the last few days.

Fun times for sure!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1123 on: August 06, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
Since I retired a week ago
Let the fun begin...8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1124 on: August 06, 2022, 10:18:07 AM »
Dear OG:
Concerning the log in the first picture in reply 1120 you needed to rotate it 90 and saw fire pit benches.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1125 on: August 06, 2022, 11:02:49 AM »
   Probably too long for fire pit benches but a nice thought. I had several yesterday similar to that one that were challenging especially with the size and the curves that would not allow the head to pass and such.

I opened my e-mail this morning and found a thank you e-mail from my customer which was a classy touch. He had already given me a nice bonus for the work but he knew it was a long, hard day and I still had a long drive home. It is nice to be appreciated once in a while. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1126 on: August 06, 2022, 12:14:35 PM »
Sometime with crooked logs, and if the cut list will allow, I will lay the largest and straightest portion on the sawmill bed and saw it as a shorter log.  You will usually still get a few full length boards and the rest will be shorter and the bf yield will usually be more.  I virtually never shorten a log because there is still recoverable "meat" in that top end.  If you buck it off, it's gone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #1127 on: August 06, 2022, 04:57:21 PM »
Dear OG:
Concerning the log in the first picture in reply 1120 you needed to rotate it 90 and saw fire pit benches.
GAB
Benches were not on the cut list and when it's near 100, I cut what's on the list and get out. :D
 Believe it or not that was the only 'hold' I could get for my opening cut. At 90 for that I had the sweep hitting the head column and at the other rotation I had the burl hitting the column.
 I did the best I could with what I had and where I was.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline Gere Flewelling

• Hobby Miller
    • Share Post
« Reply #1128 on: August 09, 2022, 09:29:00 AM »

I have spent the last week finishing up framing lumber for BIL's gambrel roof on new hay barn.  We decided to give cutting out truss components a try on the sawmill.  We used some scrap boards cut to fit over a couple of cross bunks and an 8' backer 2x6 to go against the squaring arms, we were able to fit 26 1''x8 +10" boards in place at a time and saw them all at the same angles.  We cut one side of the peak at a time.  Then we flipped them around to saw the other angle.  I used a log dog to clamp 13 pieces together on each section.  It worked much better than I had anticipated.  Biggest problem was remembering not to raise the saw at the finish of each cut.  Kind of a force of habit when sawing normally.  I am sure others have used this method, but it was a first for me. We got done in about an hour what would have taken days on a table saw and would have been difficult to cut consistently.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1129 on: August 09, 2022, 09:58:40 AM »
Dear GF:
The name of the game on a lot of speciality requests is FIXTURING.
Those that can imagine it, and execute it, will be more successful than those that can't.
Starting with scrap or sacrificial pieces as practice pieces is desirable when dealing with high value material.
I cut some tapered pieces for leveling a floor in a home.  The first 3 or 4 tries went in the scrap pile.
I did get the customer what he wanted.
For your next challenge, if you are daring, try cutting octogan posts for a porch.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1130 on: August 09, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components, nail boards  ? I have only seen plywood used and I assumed it was because of the different grain orientation.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1131 on: August 09, 2022, 12:21:09 PM »
I would use ply so it does not split under stress, and I always like glue as well.  also I think staples hold better than nails, and less likely to shear than screws.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1132 on: August 09, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components, nail boards  ? I have only seen plywood used and I assumed it was because of the different grain orientation.
I think it depends on what you are building.
1" would be ok for a dog house, however for a 20' or wider structure I would not recommend it unless you are doing a model.
GAB

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1133 on: August 09, 2022, 02:02:27 PM »
I have used OSB for sheds and smaller stuff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1134 on: August 09, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on using 1 by boards for truss components
If I did it my choice would be a spiral grain species such as Sweetgum, Elm, etc.

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1135 on: August 09, 2022, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks everyone. When this Georgia heat goes away we are going to build a sawmill / air drying shed at my buddies house, it will be 30 wide. I just thought maybe we save a couple of dollars not having to buy plywood.

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #1136 on: August 09, 2022, 08:57:53 PM »
Toured a truss factory years ago, all the trusses were built with steel tie (gang nail) plates, workers had portable hydraulic press to clamp each joint. I've done similar building small trusses (just hammering them on) and they've held up well. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1137 on: August 09, 2022, 09:05:31 PM »
Thanks everyone. When this Georgia heat goes away we are going to build a sawmill / air drying shed at my buddies house, it will be 30 wide. I just thought maybe we save a couple of dollars not having to buy plywood.
Don't really see where boards would be a problem, but then we really have not seen how you plan to use them in place of plywood. Not a direct substitute as need to adjust to compensate for the qualities of plywood over boards. 
How about filling us in?? 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1138 on: August 09, 2022, 09:11:51 PM »
I was going to use them as nail plates on the joints in the truss. I didnt know how much chance there would be of the grain splitting. 1 by nail plates on full 2 by truss material.

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1139 on: August 09, 2022, 10:01:19 PM »
If you have any big subdivisions under construction drive through them and you will find all kinds of osb scraps in the dumpster.  A lot of odd shaped pieces from the roof.  Ask first but they give it away.

Do not cut the plywood to fit on the truss joints, just staple (hold better than nails) and glue down any old way.  Next come back with a router using a pattern bit and trim to the truss.  It's super fast and easy.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

87 Replies
Last post September 17, 2022, 07:23:50 AM
by jpassardi