Sponsors:

Are you driving slower or notice others with the high gas prices

Started by Sedgehammer, June 10, 2022, 04:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

I'm not , but I sure see other's doing it . seems I'm always behind them 
Necessity is the engine of drive

K-Guy

I'm not either but I'm not racing by people either, so no I'm not seeing more of it yet. The guys that race by me are still as plentiful as ever, I just laugh at them knowing winter will come and many of them will hit the ditches then! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Now that you mention it, I notice the idiot next door has not had his kid out running around in circles for hours on a dirtbike or 4 wheeler. Neither has the Dad been out there either. I wonder......
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

I am trying to go half as many places, half as many times, but doing it the same wayI ever did.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sedgehammer

Yeah , we're tryin to be a bit better about making fewer trips , but if we want something , we still make that singular trip

TroyC

I don't mind driving slower. During the 70's gas shortage 55 mph was the law of the land.

I've checked mileage on my vehicles at different speeds. Difference in mileage between 60 mph and 75-80 is very noticeable. I'll stay in the right lane and out of your way!

moodnacreek

WV Sawmiller

I am in line with Jeff on the efforts to combine trips and reduce the number but I have largely done that most of my life. Maybe I am just lazy and don't want to make another trip.

I remember the speed restrictions but they also went along with odd and even gas sales days and 10 gallon limits and such and no Sunday sales, etc.

I have a buddy who says drive faster so you can coast further when you do run out.  ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Wenrich

I keep on looking for routes that don't have red lights.  Nothing kills mileage like having to make a ton of stops, then sit there and wait for the light to change.  Back roads may be a tad bit slower, but you always seem to end up getting there about the same time.

On the main highways, I tend to be 5-10 over the posted limit.  I'm still being blown away by the captain of the highway that wants to go 20+ over.  My beef continues to be the guy that thinks the left lane is reserved for their cruising enjoyment. 

My driving style remains the same.  I am noticing a bit less traffic on the road. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sedgehammer

I can't say any less traffic here

I park behind the left lane Sunday drivers , flash lights until they move over . I say that , but not with wife and kids in the vehicular we're currently transversing with . If I make that mistake , I'm quickly reminded in no uncertain terms not with the kids in car ...... 😬

Old saw fixer

I try to combine trips, and seldom go over 55 MPH.  I set the cruise and stay in the right lane until I get to congestion near built up areas, then usually in the center of three lanes at traffic speed with a decent reaction zone in front of me.
I'm also driving the 2003 Subaru Forester more and leaving the 1992 GMC K1500 Sierra short bed at home.  350 engine and 3.73 gears are not thrifty on the road!
The fuel prices and the 30+ miles round trip for 0 Ethanol gas are making me think about using 0 Ethanol only for my two stroke tools.  The lawn mower and other 4 stroke machines lived on ethanol fuel with a stabilizer for years.  
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

beav

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Left lane, right lane?
If I am in the left lane I am on the wrong side of the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

B.C.C. Lapp

I already drive slow. Wish everybody else would slow down and put their phones away.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Erik A

Slow down..... if you go under 75 around here, you will get rear ended!

Then we have traffic lights that would clear a mile of traffic if there was that many cars! 

We get to donate a lot of fuel to the meters that we have to get on the free way!

Wlmedley

Seems like every year I drive a little slower.I'm in no hurry and the deer around here are thick as fleas.More worried about tearing my truck up than gas mileage  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

beenthere

Erik A
Quoteif you go under 75 around here

Where is "around here" ?  

Help if you add your location to your profile..   ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Less 'thru province traffic', (school is not out yet)  but no one slowing down. There's lots of people going 20-40 km/hr (12-24 mph) over 110 km/hr (68 mph). No highway patrol at all here. Hasn't been for years. You do those speeds in Ontario and you will be caught. I was behind someone yesterday who would get up to the speed limit, then brake down to 20 below. Finally the ding dong pulled over to the side. Years ago going 20 under got you a ticket, and especially someone braking all the time for reckless endangerment.  Also, I haven't seen a mobile scales in years. The roads show it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

I drive this state from end to end for work, i think there is more traffic than there was pre covid and it sure as heck hasn't slowed down . My personal pickup i tend to keep a very light foot on as it makes a pretty big difference in fuel consumption but i only drive it 10000 miles a year or less. 
Together we got this !

Tom King

Everyone I see is driving slower than they were in the height of the pandemic when they knew no one was going to stop them.  Cars Flew on the roads here then. 

There is no slowing up of boat traffic here on the lake.  Someone has been running up and down the lake most of the day, for a couple of weeks now, on something that looks like an ocean racing boat that sounds like it has a couple of big blocks in it.

Chuck White

I've noticed that there are very few dirt bikes, 4-wheelers and side-by-sides racing up and down the road by my house, in fact over the last few days I haven't seen any.

NICE!!!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Combining trips as much as possible, and keep it at the speed limit.
Folks are complaining but they keep
the peddle mashed.

D

Oliver05262

I drive like an old man anyway.

I Use her car- a small Buick suv @ 28 to 30 mpg on parts runs if she will let me.
The Wrangler is fun to drive, but gets about 18.
The F350 service truck has everything I need in it, but at 12 mpg do I really need all of it?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!