iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building Woodland mills track extensions

Started by Acem, June 25, 2022, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acem

Hello, this is my first post.

I've been around sawmills (big commercial and small) most of my life and am finally ready to buy my own. I've settled on a woodland mills hm126. My brother in law has a 122 and they seem like good starter mill at a reasonable price point. Not to mention reasonable lead time for the times.

My big project for the mill is lumber for a big barn and I will need alot of 20 ft lumber. That will be $818 for the extensions I need. I'm a former engineer and my son is a welder/metal fabricator. I'm pretty sure we could build a complete 30' track for less. The woodland mills track seem well made but expensive. 

So my question is whether I should buy track extensions or build my own?

Is there anything I'm missing or need to know?

Thx Ace
Peace sells, who's buying?

melezefarmer

To me, buying vs making always comes down to: (1) am I willing to do the engineering myself, (2) deal with the unforeseen issues that crop up, and (3) do I have time. 

The older I get, the less time I have - or should I say, the older I get, the more I value time.

beenthere

Acem, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Seems to me you have answered your own question. Unless you cannot buy the steel for less than the $818.

Listed all the makins' needed in engineer, fabricator, and brothers' well-made track for your pattern.

We do like pics..   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

Yep buyin the steel angle and box tube is the biggie.  I went with 16' when I bought my HM 130Max and now wish I had gone to 20'+.  One local distributor will only sell in full lengths(24ft) which will really up the outlay, so I am still searching.  Scrap is hard to come by in my neck o the woods.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Crusarius

I agree with beenthere. But I will also build something and have it cost more just because I love to fabricate.

Blevdog

I have a HM-122. Build your own. Easy Peasy. I used 20' angle and added the Woodland Mills track to the end. Cost about 300.00 for the metal and that is less than WM shipping.

Tom King

You didn't say where you are located.  Here, I can get steel delivered for nothing.  They make deliveries almost every week right past our place. If I wanted specific lengths I could pay extra to have it cut.  The only thing you need is easy access for a big truck, and a way to unload the steel.

TroyC

Welcome!
I recently built a 10' extension for my mill. Problem on factory built was shipping cost. I had about 500 in materials and paint. Day and a half labor. Saved over $1000.

Acem

Thanks for all the replies.

I will make my order in a few days for the std mill and buy steel before it arrives. 

Y'all have a great forum!

Thx-Ace 

rusticretreater

It is a forum requirement that you post pictures of your mill build and rail build.  Just sayin. 8)
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

thecfarm

Don't forget to buy a Logrite Cant hook or peavey.
Sponsor on the left, nice people, made in the USA!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Acem

Quote from: rusticretreater on June 27, 2022, 10:48:08 PM
It is a forum requirement that you post pictures of your mill build and rail build.  Just sayin. 8)
I will when it comes in. Probably September.

Acem

Good news.

I ordered the mill yesterday. Today I got an email saying my items are in the warehouse and they are preparing my order.

It should ship soon I expect?

Thx-Ace 

Daburner87

I'll be honest I'm not crazy about the rail system that came with my HM130Max.  I'm not a metal guy so I couldn't fabricate it, but I don't like that my rails are in four pieces bolted together for the 16ft trailer.  If it was one solid piece I'd be much happier.  I realize shipping would cost more, but I feel it would be worth it to have solid rail system.   I say go for it if you know what you're doing.  

When I got the email that it was being prepared it was delivered the following week.  Exciting times ahead!
HM130Max Woodlander XL

rusticretreater

Once you get it set up and leveled, you can get it welded I guess.

Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Acem

Acem

My sawmill came in. 

I'm a farmer/rancher and have pallets delivered to the local coop (im a member). They loaded it on one of my farm trucks.

It took about 4 weeks from order to delivery.

Thx-Ace 

Crusarius

thecfarm

There!!
You will be a sawing before you know it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Acem

Acem

The rainy days ended so I unloaded and started unpacked the sawmill.

More work in the morning.

Acem

Acem

Acem

Got the track done this morning.

Plan to work on the head in the morning.

Thx-Ace 

thecfarm

Looks like a mighty fine job.
On those logs stops. Mine go straight up and down too. I put 4-6-8 inch marks on mine. 4 is really 3½ inches and 6 is really 5½ inches and so on. Really comes in handy when I put the flitches on. This way if I am cutting 6 inches I can put the log stop at 6 and know I have a ½ inch to clear it.
Happy Sawing!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!