iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing a 38 foot 8X12 timber

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2022, 06:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acem

Very nice job! Thanks for posting.

Many years ago I helped a friend build his log 'cabin'. We cut many long logs on his sawmill but it has a 40ft bed. Those long logs are heavy and hard to handle.
Peace sells, who's buying?

Magicman

Your math is correct doc, and there was very little side lumber.  Certainly less than 100 bf.  We could not have handled that log and sawed that timber without the Prentice loader.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

This is probably a dumb question but I assume you had to lower the cribbing when you reversed the log/timber. Is that correct? If so, did you pull a sting or use a laser or such to adjust it?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

No, I did not reverse the log/timber.  I sawed and turned until I had 4 sides then slid/rolled it forward.  All measurements were made from the bed rails to the timber with my rule.  No string nor laser, etc.

The cribbing was raised/lowered to keep the timber level with the sawmill bed rails and to keep it from sagging.

The first two of the three finished pictures (purdy pictures showing the blue X) were taken from the end of the sawmill and the last finished picture (showing the red +)was taken from the front of the sawmill. I noted that was cribbing underneath the finished timber at that time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanwelch

Thanks for taking us on this unique sawing project. Well done!! 8)
You do have the MAGIC touch  :)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

slider

The last 32 footer i did was similar but i squared it 1 in at a time and just sawed up out of the cut before the end that was better than using a chain saw
Good job lynn
al glenn

KWood255

That's impressive to say the least! Well done. Very nice job. 

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Stephen1

Great job and great pictures. That is a lot of log. 
My 1st paying sawmill job was 250 12x16" 25' DF beams from a demolition company. We resawed them down to 10x14" . We did over a 100 25'  beams like you just did, saw 4 sides, move the timber, saw 4 more sides, before we were able to get a 6' extension brought up from the states. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

You southern boys know how to get'r done with big rugged stuff. ;D Great job on the sawing and all the finessing that went on before, during and after the job. :)

38' is quite a room, I thought 32' looked huge. Hmm, how many 5'x6' foot floor looms could he fit in there? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Actually, I was hoping the builder realized at that span an 8x12 is trim.

Magicman

Looks like Cypress timbers are the new normal for some homeowners. 

Did you mention "trim" DonP?

These are timbers that I sawed the week before I sawed the 38' timber and are in two different rooms in another home.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: Tom King on July 24, 2022, 12:47:07 PM
Looks Great!

Every 18th and 19th Century house I've worked on around here have every sill full length.  One 1828 house has 2- 12x12 x40 foot long Heart Pine sills still under it.

That same house had 40 foot long fascia boards 27 feet off the ground.  Those were about weathered away to nothing in thickness left, but we didn't replace them with 40' long boards.

Hope Plantation has 40 foot long floorboards in the Dining Hall.

I figured they must have felled those trees Very close to where the house was built.  They didn't have Woodmisers back then, but I guess there was no shortage of slave labor.
I made a bunch of 34 foot pine boards last summer.  They were jacket boards from cutting long beams.  They were so difficult to move around and were so floppy when I loaded them on my 22 foot trailer that I ended up cutting them into 8 foot boards.  I also wasn't looking forward to finding a place to stack and sticker and cover them so they would dry straight.

Don P

Very nice. I believe they are hanging from the structure  :).

Magicman

Yup, in the first picture he is using 10X10 Cypress timbers as decorative trim.

My last Cypress job's 3ΒΌ" slabs and the associated 5/4 lumber was for a Duck Camp in Arkansas. :o  That is rolling big $$$.  I sawed it "hourly rate" and sadly do not have the board foot tally but it was certainly at least 14Mbf.

SwampDonkey

Some people build houses like churches. :D Look at all that space overhead, any bigger and clouds will form. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yup, it's a single story home that is two stories high. 

Thank You Sponsors!