iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmills in the woods….

Started by Bullheaded, August 06, 2022, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullheaded

I went and looked at a couple more sawmills in the woods today. Both rotted right into the ground. The friction drive American last sawed in the 60's and was belted to a Farmall F30. The friction drive has a 12" poplar growing thru it. It looks to be 100% complete except for one dog. The Reeves has a really cool massive cast iron husk. Going back to cut the tree off the American to assess and make the owner an offer.

Be thankful for every new day.

beenthere

Nice find, but some work if you dig it out. 

Just watched a vid of a friction drive American. 

sawmilling on a Sunday - YouTube
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moodnacreek

Bull, if you keep looking for junk you will never saw those little red pines :D.   Either your walking in my tracks or I am walking in yours.

thecfarm

By the looks of it, he doesn't want it. Should just about give it to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Joe Hillmann

I really like that friction drive, just that piece alone would be handy for any homemade project that needs the ability to adjust the speed and direction.

Nebraska

Scrap iron price is more than fair if you have to excavate it out.

Bullheaded

To most of the old Finlanders around here, EVERYTHING has value. They part with very little and it shows. I literally dug parts out of the soft ground. Remarkably, most everything that moves or turns does! We are still haggling a bit over details but for a couple hundred bucks or so, I can recover and load a complete mill. The only pc I have not found yet is the cast iron American name plate. Not sure where it was on the husk to continue digging.  With the price of steel, the nearly perfect 36' tracks are worth what I paid for the whole rig.

Bullheaded

luap

looks very much like the condition of my amercan #1 when I found  mine                    wish I thought of taking pictures  but at the time cameras                       were not digital.so a distinct lack of con veinence at the time . mine was not overgrown. or buried. only because the owner had recently purchased it in Calumet and hauled it home and deposited it in a pile of pieces in a  field,so,  I had no clue as to how      the pieces fit together,  the  cast iron name plate was attached to the side of the husk just forward of the mandrel opposite of saw end. Fortunately my father knew an experienced saw mill owner who was happy to help me out who also was a life member o the great lakes saw filers association, which I only recently found out about. unfortunately he has passed, I am near Ontonagon. I am not a finnlander bu t my father never threw  anything away esp old tires, a result of going through the depression and war years when things were hard to get.

Bullheaded

luap,
What town are you near? Did you get the mill running? Heacock or friction drive? I am near Kenton.

moodnacreek

I was raised by my grandparents to look for value in things found, that was then, here in N.Y. you would get paid to clean up a mess like that today.

Bullheaded

I see a neat old mill with lots of local history waiting for another chance at life. Both these tractors were purchased out of salvage yards for a couple hundred bucks each 30 years ago. 

<

taylorsmissbeehaven

Wow what great looking restorations. I hope the mill looks like them soon. Keep the pictures coming. Some great projects!! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Walnut Beast

Exactly! One man's junk is another man's treasure!!! Always like to see good old stuff get restored!! Looking forward to more pictures!

moodnacreek

Of all the tractors I parted with I miss the styled '38 B the most. Too slow on the road but a handy yard tractor. You could open the gate, stand on the draw bar, drive through and shut the gate before the animals got out.

Bullheaded

I went back today and got a load of small parts off the American No.1 mill this morning. Smaller parts that I could carry out the 100 yards to the road. I plan to incorporate the entire friction drive into the mill I am building. 

Bullheaded

Some assembly required.......I am amazed at the condition of the babbitt in the boxes.

moodnacreek

Oh yes the friction feed, side to side, neutral center. That would be hard for me to get used to. The last one I saw running had inverted V belt somehow attached to it.  Sunday it's up to camp and to deliver some Lane parts I have repaired for a small mill up there. Then I get to go out back and look for old lane stuff. The race is on Bullhead!

firefighter ontheside

There is a 34' Belsaw with a 40" blade for sale locally for $1800.  Looks like its in pretty good condition.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

richhiway

Quote from: moodnacreek on August 12, 2022, 07:35:46 PM
Oh yes the friction feed, side to side, neutral center. That would be hard for me to get used to. The last one I saw running had inverted V belt somehow attached to it.  Sunday it's up to camp and to deliver some Lane parts I have repaired for a small mill up there. Then I get to go out back and look for old lane stuff. The race is on Bullhead!
Where is your camp? My place is in North Hudson.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

moodnacreek

Between Clayberg and Union Falls. About 25 miles west of Plattsburg .

Bullheaded

Quite possibly the ONLY American No.1 to relocate via a Chevy Spark. Load number 3. All that is left are the headblock bases, the setworks shafts and the rails...these I will have to borrow a pickup to reteieve. I thought it was cool to pull the original guide track headed spikes. I'll re-use them on the new timbers. Im pooped.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roundhouse

That's a neat project you've got lined up there. Can't wait to see some pics as it comes back together. My Woodland Mills rig is nowhere near as interesting but it is setup in the woods, about 15 miles north of Kenton.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Bullheaded

Roundhouse, thats cool! PM me and let me know where you are at. I thought I knew all the camps north of me. Are you off FH16? How long of log can you saw? Im gonna need someone close to cut frame and carriage timbers.

Thank You Sponsors!