iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Fire 2022

Started by Spike60, September 14, 2022, 09:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I put a smudge on here today, raining and 48F. That was a numbing cold rain on the hands out there bush whack'n.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snobdds

I have had two so far, when I went to the cabin to load some equipment last weekend 9/10/2022. 

It got down to 25 and 30 both nights.  

I kept it going hot, my blood has not thickened up yet...

aigheadish

I'm a little jealous and a little not. I don't have any wood heating implement, other than a fireplace that isn't really built for heating things more than the romance level of the house. If I get real cold I'll throw some logs on and sit close as it heats nearby better than LP, but I'd love to have a real woodburning stove, that is, until it's time to prep 5 cords of wood for it. I've got to imagine wood would be significantly less expensive than the LP though.

Dayton is also very dry. I've got a creek that I was mowing next to Sunday and realized it's the driest I've ever seen it. Usually there are a few deep spots with water but it was cracked ground dry. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

newoodguy78

Quote from: hedgerow on September 20, 2022, 12:13:14 PM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on September 19, 2022, 08:12:09 PM
What kind of crops are you harvesting out your way?
Corn and soybeans. There talking we will probably break a temp record today of 100 for this date. Ran a little corn yesterday still to wet. Yield for corn and beans will be way off. We have had very little rain in the last two months. Its drier this year than 2012 was for us.
Hope it yields better than you think, prices are higher than anticipated,breakdowns are few and the late night meals are delicious.  
Been a sucker of a year here glad it's towards the end. Have a safe harvest 

Spike60

Put a match to her tonight. 45° now and supposed to dip down into the 30's tonight. The NWS has issued a frost advisory for my area. Maybe a bit of a stretch for that, but still plenty cold enough for a fire. Don't often have many Sept. fires, but chilly as it is tonight, off she goes. :)

Windy today with a high of 59°. Didn't notice it until I came upstairs but the power was out about 2 1/2 hours sometime during the day. Small branches all over the roads on the way home. Gonna be a good weekend.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Hilltop366

Today for me as well, put a fire in the boiler to warm up the floor a bit, 8°c for tonight and tomorrow night and no sun until Sunday due to hurricane Fiona. 

Ventryjr

Today might be the first day for me.  Been avoiding the first fire and cleaning the chimney from last year.  But the forecast looks cold and the house is only 62* today. Today might be the day.   And unfortunately I only have 2 face cord of wood moved/stacked so far.   I've been slacking. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

SwampDonkey

We had power outage for 6 hrs, but no high winds, I doubt even 10 mpg off Fiona out this way. So anyway, I just put on a fire an hour ago, had lunch, time for afternoon nap. Was up at 3:30 am. ;D In the 40's here, might get to 55F. No sun though, but breaking away to the west, can see Mnt Katahdin. The line of clearing is along the Masardis hills in Maine.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

I never lost power but there are some outages in my area however there are over 400,000 customers with out power in Nova Scotia and most of PEI from what I read. I will probably be good for a while without a fire if the sun comes out today.

mudfarmer

Don't think it broke 50F here yesterday, 30s the past two nights. Should have had a fire but couldn't remember if I cleaned the chimney this spring ??? So we baked cookies instead

breederman

Was down to 62 in the house yesterday morning. Turned on the electric heater to warm up things. Headed out now to get a few fire bricks to replace some broken ones in the furnace. Weather guesser says low 30's tonight. I'll light one off tonight .
Together we got this !

cutterboy

My first fire yesterday in the kitchen cook stove. I would have had a couple of fires before that but I was waiting for new stove pipe that was being custom made.

The kitchen and the rest of the house has warmed up nicely.  

Keep those fires burning.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

I have a cook stove too.

We had 2 fires in it this year.
I use the OWB for hot water, so very easy to turn 2 valves for heat.
My Grandmother had one just like this one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

I love the romance of those stoves!

We turned on the heat (propane) a few days ago. Boo. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Walnut Beast

Magicman

I love those stoves!!!  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Built a smudge today, was the coldest day so far. 32F in the morning and 48F this afternoon. Cool wind. ;D It's been a colder stretch than last year this time. Last year never got frost until the end of October. 50 years ago, everyone had an Enterprise wood cook stove in these parts. When they went out of the house, replaced by electric ranges, they moved right into the camps. :D Most of them had warming closets over head, heat the mince meat pie or keep supper warm for the late comers.

Hilltop366

We had a enterprise at the camp that was extra wide, it had the copper water tank on the right side. Unfortunately the SS chimney it was hooked up to leaked enough while the camp was not being used for 5 years and rusted out the back pretty bad so we took it out. It took up a lot of real estate and you still needed another wood stove at night or put wood in it every ½ hour in the winter.

21incher

We had our first frost last night but haven't needed a fire yet. Started moving the wood up to the house today. 4 loads down, 16 to go for starters. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

beenthere

That load of wood looks like a good warm one (or several warm ones), no matter how you look at it.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Well we are still a ways out from a fire in the house, but it hit 45 last night and the shop was down to about 50 today. So just to keep the building warmish and not let everything get to cold, I started a one shot fire in the shop, It too a while to get going properly, probably needed to get that chimney pretty warm. Anyway, she took off and now I can see from my desk in the house that it's just over 63° and it's 50° outside. The weather should warm a little in the next few day, but today I wore a jacket and a hoodie at the mill and never thought about taking either off.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hardknot

Broke down and lit our first fire of the year on Sunday.  It was cool and misty in the 50's. We live in the old homeplace with high ceilings etc.  The house was chilly and the warmth felt good.  We have enjoyed the hot water as well.  Will keep it going this week until it warms back up. 

Usually my first fire is mid-November.  About six weeks early.  After installing the G4000 last year it was a pleasure to just go out and build the fire. 
HeatMaster G4000, Stihl 271, Huskee 22 ton log splitter, EZ-GO Terrain 1000

Spike60

33° and frost on the roof this morning. 1st dip into the 30's in fact, and it got there 8:30 last night.

Burning some not-that-good maple I wanted to get through early in the year. Kind of happens every year, doesn't it? There's always some sub-prime wood and/or chunks and odd shapes to use up the first few weeks of the season. Not going to waste it. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

32° at dawn this morning in Whitingham,VT, but it's gonna be a pretty day. It will be cool, but it appears a imay get some saw time in that I had not planned on. Guess it s a good thing I forgot to take me saws and stuff out of the truck before the trip. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

21incher

No fire yet but made a pile of nice dry kindling to get started with 8).

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!