iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Junk this junk, or fix it?

Started by wisconsitom, January 12, 2023, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

Item is Homelite "Timberman"(I think) 45cc, as much plastic as possible, freebie saw given to one of my kids.  Saw started on old gas that was in it, reved up, but bogged out, like carb issue.  Also has leaky oiler.

I don't have time to mess with it.  Any reason to throw good money at this cheap saw to have shop look at it?
Ask me about hybrid larch!

ladylake

No it will cost more than it's worth..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

barbender

If you like to tinker on stuff yourself it's worth a look, once you have to pay someone it's not worth it. One hour of shop time is more than the sae is worth🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

wisconsitom

Perty much what I figgerd.  Thanks!

snobdds

Quote from: wisconsitom on January 12, 2023, 06:44:25 PM
Perty much what I figgerd.  Thanks!
Give it to someone that likes to tinker.  Don't toss it. 
Someone can bring it back from the dead. 

lxskllr

Sometimes being junk is a positive attribute. I found a McCulloch saw in the trash. It's a recent Taiwanese version using the name, not a good one. It leaks oil, smokes like it runs on coal, and bogs out in a big cut. It works well enough that I can keep it in my unsecured truck bed to use when I need something bigger than my 2511, and if it gets stolen, "oh well". I may be able to fix the leaking oil for the cost of time, and maybe the bogging can be fixed at no charge also. In any case, it's worth more than I paid for it($0). I'd be willing to put $10-$20 in it if I could make it run better.

Ianab

Agree. Probably fixable by someone that has the time to tinker and maybe buy a new carb from China for $20.  Not worth paying a shop to work on it, the bill will likely be more than the saw was worth new. 

Donate it to someone that likes to tinker with power tools. If it has compression and spark then it's probably fixable, but not worth paying a shop to do it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

I have a few old Homelites in my collection but won't give those a second glance. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

If they aren't worth a second glance, why are they in the collection? I have about 10 Homelites in mine, and they are all runners. Half are different XL12's, there's a 550 and a XL925 in there.

Don't see regular use of course, but every now and then I like to run them for a day or job. Time travel for a saw enthusiest.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

LeeB

I have an old 240 that was the first chainsaw I ever bought. Doesn't run and I doubt it ever will again but I can't bring myself to throw it away. Bought it in the late 80's or early 90's. Can't remember exactly when.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Al_Smith

It just depends on how you look at things .Many of my saws are freebies and I have a lot of them which doesn't mean they all run or will ever again .The challenge for old saws is making them run not to use them on a regular basis .
I've got them from a tiny little Poulan xx to a 123 CC McCulloch 125c .However just how much use would one expect a giant redwood slayer be used in Ohio ? Not very often which is why they last so long .It's whatever lays your ears back or floats your boat-----not my saws . :)

sawguy21

I should have chosen my words more carefully. :D I like my old Homeys, it is the newer plastic Chinese offerings that don't get the time of day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wisconsitom

Homelight xl series was all we used for the first ten years or so of my old job.  From 325s on up to the little 925s, they were good saws for their time.  Nothing quite like holding on to that 925 for 8 or 10 minutes, notching and dropping a giant silver maple stub.

Did not object when Stihl saws with antivibe started showing up to

chet

Lots of hours runnin' 925's. Limbing all day with a 925 was a good way ta build muscle.  All da 925's I ran had anti-vibe,  that little bit of foam on da top handle.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Al_Smith

You have to look at the humor in this .Some question why anybody would have so many saws .These very same people might be collectors of fire arms for example .They might own any thing from a .22 caliber single shot squirrel rifle to a .700 Holland and Holland  double barrel elephant gun .To do what shoot rats ? :D

Spike60

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 13, 2023, 11:30:17 AM
I should have chosen my words more carefully. :D I like my old Homeys, it is the newer plastic Chinese offerings that don't get the time of day.
I get it now! Chinese homelites aren't even allowed on the property. And happy birthday! 😊 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Thank You Sponsors!