iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another lonely saw follows me home

Started by donbj, January 19, 2023, 11:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Picked this one up today. Another beauty that's been looked after and not used much at all. Stopped in for some fish and chips at a local joint today and started a conversation with a guy I went to school with decades ago and this resulted. She's a nice one. Rock solid compression. One of the main reasons he didn't like it, said he could hardly pull it over. And too bloody heavy as well.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Spike60

Low hour pro saws are the best finds, aren't they?  8)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Wow! That'll get your motor running. Very nice.

donbj

Quote from: Spike60 on January 20, 2023, 08:03:37 AM
Low hour pro saws are the best finds, aren't they?  8)
That's for sure. They're still out there. Surprising how some of them come around. They must have crunched the original muffler as the one on it isn't correct. I have another though.
The previous owner bought it at an auction at an old farmer that was selling out about five years ago. The farmer had the same opinion about it, too heavy and hard to pull over so didn't use it much. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Another great score!

Yeah, send all those "heavy, hard to pull" 2100/2101's you can find my way... ;D

I found a YouTube vid on polishing faded plastics that looked promising. They were doing it to faded dirt bike plastic tanks. The color is there.....you just have to bring it back.

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on January 20, 2023, 11:19:06 AM
That’s for sure. They’re still out there. Surprising how some of them come around. They must have crunched the original muffler as the one on it isn’t correct. I have another though.
The previous owner bought it at an auction at an old farmer that was selling out about five years ago. The farmer had the same opinion about it, too heavy and hard to pull over so didn’t use it much.
Took a serious hit then because they came with a protective shroud to guard against just that.....except the bottom louver mufflers....what some called the 'jungle muffler'.

Can you show a pic of what's on there?

Kevin

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 21, 2023, 11:55:21 AMTook a serious hit then because they came with a protective shroud to guard against just that.....except the bottom louver mufflers....what some called the 'jungle muffler'. Can you show a pic of what's on there? Kevin

Hmmm, interesting. It was a bottom louver muffler. I'll post a photo in a bit. I never knew that bit of info.

donbj

Here's the muffler and a shot of the piston rings. I did a bit of digging regarding the jungle muffler and it certainly was offered. Two screws on the louver got messed up removing them to get a piece of metal rattling around inside the muffler. The various ring configurations is interesting as well. Thin ring, thick ring etc.  This saw has 1984 on the tag

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on January 21, 2023, 09:17:32 PM
Here’s the muffler and a shot of the piston rings. I did a bit of digging regarding the jungle muffler and it certainly was offered. Two screws on the louver got messed up removing them to get a piece of metal rattling around inside the muffler. The various ring configurations is interesting as well. Thin ring, thick ring etc.  This saw has 1984 on the tag

Ohhhhhhhhh.... the coveted 'jungle muffler'.

Hey, I'll trade you straight across for a complete standard muffler, for real!

Not sure the 'jungle mufflers' have any added value, but the bottom louver mufflers are less restrictive on my J'reds. I like them when I can find them.

Yes, the thin rings are overrated. They weren't reliable back in the day. Unless you were using early synthetic oil mixes or kept your mix ratio around 40:1 as well, you'd stick the rings in the field and would have hell to pay.

There were also three piston sizes to choose from to rehab the top end('A', 'B', 'C'). Mostly due to quality control of the jugs. Quality control got better and the three piston choices from the factory disappeared at some point in the production run.

Kevin

Al_Smith

They are a  bear to pull over .Should have been made with a decomp and a kick starter .

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 22, 2023, 11:32:33 AM
Quote from: donbj on January 21, 2023, 09:17:32 PM
Here's the muffler and a shot of the piston rings. I did a bit of digging regarding the jungle muffler and it certainly was offered. Two screws on the louver got messed up removing them to get a piece of metal rattling around inside the muffler. The various ring configurations is interesting as well. Thin ring, thick ring etc.  This saw has 1984 on the tag

Ohhhhhhhhh.... the coveted 'jungle muffler'.

Not sure the 'jungle mufflers' have any added value, but the bottom louver mufflers are less restrictive on my J'reds. I like them when I can find them.

Yes, the thin rings are overrated. They weren't reliable back in the day. Unless you were using early synthetic oil mixes or kept your mix ratio around 40:1 as well, you'd stick the rings in the field and would have hell to pay.

There were also three piston sizes to choose from to rehab the top end('A', 'B', 'C'). Mostly due to quality control of the jugs. Quality control got better and the three piston choices from the factory disappeared at some point in the production run.

Kevin
I can't see how with that piece with the holes in that sits under the louver would let it flow better. There are two holes on each of four sides. They are just under 3/16" holes. Maybe if taken out it would flow better or maybe it serves a good purpose, it's beyond my knowledge. I just know guys open their mufflers up gor better flow and performace.

chet

Eldest Grandson (16) spotted one of my 2100's hanging in my sawmill shed a few weeks ago. He asked if it ran, 'yup if yer man enough ta start it'.  ;D  The look on his face was priceless when he tried ta spin it over.  :D  But, DanG if he didn't git err ta fire up on his third attempt.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

You best behave yerself around that young feller! :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on January 22, 2023, 12:39:24 PM
I can’t see how with that piece with the holes in that sits under the louver would let it flow better. There are two holes on each of four sides. They are just under 3/16” holes. Maybe if taken out it would flow better or maybe it serves a good purpose, it’s beyond my knowledge. I just know guys open their mufflers up gor better flow and performace.

Lol...you remove or open that up. In theory, to be legal back then you just had to have a spark arrestor behind that louver.....nothing else.
On my J'reds with the bottom louver, there is just a screen behind it.....wide open without the louver. I have some pics of all
that, but even with coaching from my son, I have not been able to find them on this PC.
The saws are only hard to start if you're Midwestern corn farmer stock. 8)
It wasn't a consideration back in the day loggin' and no one complained that I knew of.

Kevin

chet

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 22, 2023, 03:31:51 PMThe saws are only hard to start if you're Midwestern corn farmer stock.  8)
Growing up in the Midwest, on a farm that raised a fare amount of corn, I find your statement totally ignorant and uncalled for.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Al_Smith

:D WTG Chet ,I'm not going to say a thing

donbj

I thought about this but from a collector standpoint it adds another interesting piece to what I'm trying to do so I better pass. 

Stripping down L65's and 480CD's lately and sorting the good parts out from them.

Spike60

"That piece with the holes" is what you gotta ditch. Easiest muffler mod in the world; all ya need is a screw driver.

Have one of those on my 285CD, and on my best Jonny 930. They make a difference. Wish I had more of them.  
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Spike60

Little helpful suggestion if I may Don, and you may already be doing it. A stripping/sorting operation like that works out better in the long run if some boxing/labeling is done with it. At least by model. So many times years ago I'd pick up a part and be thinking, "I knew what this was when I set it here."  ???
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

There's a lot to be said about that .I'm not real good at it myself .I've got boxes full of Stihl parts,5 gallon buckets full of McCulloch  parts and just boxes full of parts I have no idea what goes to what .It's seldom if but rather where is it ---and that's  just for chainsaws not to mention all the other stuff .
On the muffler of the 2100 I'm not sure what I've done to it .That thing will run like a scalded ape if you can start it .Perhaps if I hadn't been born in the midwestern corn belt I could start it easier 8)Never the less when the hawk of winter goes away I'll figure it out .

donbj

Quote from: Spike60 on January 23, 2023, 07:51:57 AM
Little helpful suggestion if I may Don, and you may already be doing it. A stripping/sorting operation like that works out better in the long run if some boxing/labeling is done with it. At least by model. So many times years ago I'd pick up a part and be thinking, "I knew what this was when I set it here."  ???
Excellent advice, thanks. I do keep track in that regard. I keep items sorted and labeled either in containers or good zip lock bags and together by model in a box. Been down that road a few times with "I'll remember this"

Real1shepherd

Quote from: chet on January 22, 2023, 04:24:41 PM
Growing up in the Midwest, on a farm that raised a fare amount of corn, I find your statement totally ignorant and uncalled for.
You're only defending Al, who has continually taken cheap shots at west coast fallers(me) and you never do a thing to warn him. You know what they say about living in glass houses and casting stones....

I was raised in MO and even had a farm there in the late 80's/90's.

Kevin

chet

Kevin I sent you a personal message, I suggest you read it very carefully. Nuff said

Spike60

The other thing Don, is if you have the room is to store the carcasses without stripping them. Sounds good in theory, but once the start building up, ya gotta thin them out.

Depends on the saw too. On some chassis, like 372's and Jonny 670's, I can pick up every single screw and know exactly where it goes. Something like an L65, I have to label everything.  :laugh:
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I think my problem is related to the starter drum perhaps turning off center ,running eccentric which will bind them up .The saw has been  doctored on a little bit too .Blows around 180- 185 PSI static with a vee stack and a K and N filter .It was a west coaster from some island off Washington state .Found it on one of the forums years ago --cheap .

Thank You Sponsors!