iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cannot start Stihl 009

Started by nancyk, February 01, 2023, 08:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nancyk

I have 2 Stihl 009 chainsaws, my husband bought them years ago as he had a bad back. He is no longer here to maintain the saws so I do my best to keep them going. They get non-ethanol fuel and Stihl oil. They are used lightly, only by me. Not often, but it is nice to have 2 running saws with me when I work on trails or a downed tree, in case one gets stuck. I bought a 40v battery powered saw last year, it is ok for small stuff but just does not have the power of a conventional saw. The one Stihl 009 has had a hard time starting for years now, once it starts it runs like a top but sarting is a bear. Last week I did 20 pulls on it and finally gave up. Last year I took it into the local co-op and, after attempting a few pulls, the man looked at the sparkplug. He said "there is no gas on the sparkplug". He kept pulling and finally the saw started and sounded and ran great. I asked the man if there was anything he could do so that I can start it , even after it sits for 3-4 months. He said "the saw is old". Any ingenious ideas out there, for ease of starting? I do not mind getting a new lightweight saw but if I can keep using these two saws I would rather do that.

doc henderson

Hi Nancy.  One of the best things for a gas saw is to run fairly regularly.  For extended periods you can dump the gas and run the carb dry.  rubber parts only last so long.  Do you have a dealer nearby.  many are going to say they are so old, just get a new saw.  can you get parts?  I have a 015 of my great uncles and it is hard to find parts.  I got a saw for my son that is a 250 EZ start.  so the pull can be slow and maybe 3 pulls to wind a spring and then it turns over.  this will help if you have trouble pulling it.  If gas sits, it can turn to a sticky varnish and plug the holes and channels in the carb.  a test is to spray some starting fluid and see if the saw starts for at least a few seconds.  if so , then fuel is the issue, not spark.  If that is the case, see if you can get a new carb, or have that one rebuilt and cleaned.  Or take it to a dealer, but again, they may say it is too old to fix.  good look!  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

I've found an eye dropper full of fuel dispensed in the cylinder, put the plug back in, and see if they will fire up. Works well to see if fuel is the issue and you have spark and compression. Often the saw will just keep running and do fine for restarts until several months non-use time goes by and have to do it again. 

The idea of putting on a new carb is a good one. New fuel lines also. 

Also, any pics of what you ended up with for a ranch entry you were working on a few years (10) back? Good to hear you are doing ok, but sorry to hear your husband is not.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I had to hunt for that parts list but I finally found it on a CD ROM .According to that it's either got a Walbro model WT 323 or a Zama C1S carb .You can find the rebuild kits on E-Bay .Usually on an older saw that does not get much run time the carb is the problem .Usually a carb rebuild cures that problem which is easy enough to do .Every manufacture of carbs has a web site that will walk you right through it . 

nancyk

It has been suggested that to start the saw I put a small amount of fuel mixture directly into the carburetor. Are you suggesting I put it on the sparkplug area? In 2021 the saw got new fuelfilter/sparkplug/air filter, and does not have much time on it at all. I usually use the other saw as it has been easier to start.

to beenthere: decided to go simple and do no interesting entry. We put up a heavyduty gate that can be opened closed by a clicker in vehicle, and also operated from the house by a line-of-sight antennae. Gate operated by battery power that is supposed to be recharged by a solar panel but the battery does not get recharged so I manually change it every 21 days and give it a trickle charge overnite.

doc henderson

Nancy you can give a spray of starting fluid onto the air cleaner and then try to start.  think of it as a diagnostic test.  if it runs on the starting fluid (ether) then dies, it is starved for fuel.  another way is to put liquid fuel into the inside of the cylinder, by removing the spark plug, and put a few drops in through the hole  and thereby directly into the cylinder.  replace the spark plug, and see if it starts.  If it hits then dies, you have a fuel problem.  if it starts and then will run, you may need some carb adjustment, and might put some seafoam into the fuel to clean the fuel system and preserve the gas.  the Stihl oil has preservative in it too.  but sounds like it may need to run more often.  but if it does not get ran, the seafoam will help.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sablatnic

They were known for having a choke, that didn't work really well.
What I did on mine was to take off the airfilter cover, and pour a spoonful of two stroke mix down into the karburettor and start it. Then partly close the hole with a finger, till it is running ok. ( There is no danger, it will not swallow your finger).
I don't like using starter fluid on a twostroke, as it can wash the oil of the internals of the engine.

nancyk

Sprayed fuel mixture two times into the carb opening with trigger locked "on". tried starting 10 pulls, no luck. Took out sparkplug, did one spray in the opening, put sparkplug back in, on second pull the saw started, then immediately died and will not start again. I will let it sit until this afternoon and try again.

doc henderson

nancyk

The sprayer stopped functioning, so. I poured a small amount of fuel fixture into the carburetor, put the cover in place, the saw started in two pulls, then quickly died, I put more fuel mixture in, started on 2 pulls then ran roughly for 4 minutes or so. I kept feathering the trigger to keep the saw running, after the 4 minutes I did notice the saw ran smoother at an idle but I kept asking for more. I kept it going for at least 5 minutes all together, so that is something positive. Just curious, any recommendations for a replacement for this little gem if I cannot keep it starting/running consistently? I have a battery Greenworks 40v, just doesn't have enough oomph for me. The Stihl 009 size/power/weight is perfect.

doc henderson

look at an EZ start unless you like the pull on the 09.  maybe a 250.

doc henderson

you might get some carb cleaner spray and try that or add sea foam to a tank full of gas, and keep it running.  diagnostically it seems to be a fuel supply issue.

DHansen

I would be getting a new carburetor rebuild kit and clean out the carburetor well.  Install new carb kit components and reassemble.  See what affect that has.  I agree with others, it sounds like a lack of fuel.

customsawyer

Don't be afraid to put new fuel lines in it too.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

nancyk

I will be making up a fresh batch of fuel(2 gallons), since the weedeating season is almost upon us and that is where the fuel is mostly used. Lets see is the fresh fuel helps.
Thanks to all for suggestions.  

Al_Smith

Not trying to be a smart alec but I would suggest if you try a shot of fuel through the carb to use mixed fuel rather than anything else .I burned one up my making the mistake of using straight gasoline .Cooked the piston .

nancyk

Thanks, did use the fuel mixture.

Update: siphoned out the old fuel mixture, put in the fuel tank just a bit of mixture from last autumn, saw started right up with no need to put any fuel into the carburetor. Runs well at idle doesn't seem to like when I ask for more. It has been suggested(from another site) I turn the low speed needle a quarter turn. As I have no idea what a "low speed needle" is, that is my next project.

thecfarm

I sure am no help. 
But if I don't know where something is, then I don't touch it.
Now if someone in the know is standing beside than that's OK.
Kinda like trying to teach someone to drive over the internet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nancyk

"if I don't know where something is, then I don't touch it"

I am in total agreement. Though I did get out the Stihl owners manual, and check online manuals, to find the location. I checked both my 009's and could not find the low speed needle/screw. I took that as an omen.  So I will get a fresh fuel mixture next week and if the saw still runs rough will drop it by a local shop for adjustment.

I did read over the carb adjustment info from the link, thank you. I am sure I could figure it out by tinkering with it but it would be a lot simpler and faster to let the shop do it. Now that the saw is starting, I believe it is all downhill from here.

Al_Smith

Normally the low speed jet will be the closest to the cylinder and the high speed towards the back of the carb .

Thank You Sponsors!