iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Only my wife

Started by Quartlow, February 14, 2008, 07:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

She calls from work to just to ask me, why are garages called garages?  ::)  ::)
Her theory is it should be called a car houses sine it houses a car. After all a carriage house held carriages  ::)

I told her I have no idea but she thinks I should know by the time she gets home
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Radar67

Tell her it is because they pull the car into the auto garage to work on it and the name carried over from the commercial industry to the residential area.

If she buys that, I've got some ocean front property...... :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ARKANSAWYER

It come from French, "garer" which means 'to dock.'  It is a place to dock you car.  Most of the time it is the place to dock every thing else and you dock your car outside.
ARKANSAWYER

zopi

Ask her where she thinks "Car" came from.. :)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Quartlow

Quote from: zopi on February 14, 2008, 07:57:05 PM
Ask her where she thinks "Car" came from.. :)

NO!! I'm not gonna open that can of worms.  :D  :D

ARKANSAWYER
Sounds good to me.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isawlogs

Garage is actualy French , it was used with trains . a train station in French is * gare *  the building that they serviced the trains was named * garage *  :P  I am guessing that when automobiles came around * car in garage * took a whole left turn .

Garer translates to: to park .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Captain

Marcel, you'll have us understanding you one word at at time  ;D

Captain

Quartlow

Man I love this place  8)  8)  8)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Garage comes from the word "rage". That is what happens when the building conected to the house is so full of stuff that there is no room for the car. I would say that it is a hillbilly term, but hillbillies don't have garages. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Raider Bill

Quote from: pigman on February 14, 2008, 11:25:56 PM
Garage comes from the word "rage". That is what happens when the building conected to the house is so full of stuff that there is no room for the car. I would say that it is a hillbilly term, but hillbillies don't have garages. ;) ;D
Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on February 14, 2008, 07:30:28 PM

It come from French, "garer" which means 'to dock.'  It is a place to dock you car.  Most of the time it is the place to dock every thing else and you dock your car outside.

Both of these are correct. But you MUST always leave room for the Harleys!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Hotrod RLC

being a not to smart ky briar my wife being college grad i just figured what happened to bldg that was or us ed   to be ourcar storage // bldg has three roto tillers one she uses other two back up / two lawn mowers . only one used  potting soil hoes .pitch fork / rock pick ax baskets tubs and assortment of corn planters tobacco setters and couple tater diggers  8)

sawguy21

Same reason you park in a driveway but drive on a parkway.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Quartlow on February 14, 2008, 07:13:47 PM
She calls from work to just to ask me, why are garages called garages?

I told her I have no idea but she thinks I should know by the time she gets home
Geeze, a pop quiz.   Stuff like this is why I really don't like my cell phone. :D
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Cedarman

What happened to quartlow.  Is he in his garage?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kindlinmaker

I'm sure I'll hear about this one BUT I just can't resist - 

Garage - The space attached to a wife's house where husbands can feel they are actually in charge of something.
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

kantuckid

Quote from: pigman on February 14, 2008, 11:25:56 PM
I have never owned a garage. I rented one many years ago to store a car while on active duty. I have a current spot where I was thinking of a car park built on post & beams but ended up deciding it sort of ruined our view of the woods through our glassed ended great room, so they sit outside. Honestly, during my work life they sat out side there, now it a 24/7 thing. Meanwhile my motorcycles, scooter and tractor and mowers all in a storage barn-go figure huh? :D
Back to my senior word games-we keep our dwindling ::) sanity playing word games...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!