iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Objects in logs

Started by dboyt, August 10, 2012, 02:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

I've found some logs that have more value for scrap metal than for lumber.  The worst log I ever cut was a nice looking walnut.  Unfortunately, it was hollow, and someone had filled it with cement.  Talk about tearing up a blade!  Seems like the more someone insists that their wood is clean, the more hardware I find.  Our tree farm in southwest MO was once part of Camp Crowder, which specialized in communications training, and I still run into insulators and anchor bolts.  A few weeks ago, I sawed straight through the center of a bullet.  I'd like to hear what others have cut into (other than log clamps).  Here's a 3/8" anchor bolt I "found" with my Norwood sawmill a few months ago.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Solomon

I hit a hook latch like you would secure a wooden screen door with only this one was  10 inches long and about 3/8 diameter.  it was 4  inches deep in a yellow pine log approximately 22 inches in diameter.   About 3 ft into the cut.
I had just put a brand new blade on.  wasted it on the 2nd pass.   Pete. Chesapeake, Virginia.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

clww

OUCH! :o >:(
Obviously, that left a mark.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Joanie

A rock in the middle of a 20"dia. walnut. Enough nails to build a house, and yes the clamps. :-\
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

hackberry jake

About 20 years ago someone set a padlock in the crotch of a white oak tree. I was working at a 300hp circle saw mill when he hit it... All the teeth and shanks went through the tin roof. That was an expensive padlock
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

woodmills1

screw eyes are bad.......specialy when you hit the shank and both parts of the eye

but drywall screws are worse

had one pine with and electrical box that I could see
measured tree dia and then depth of box.....dropped 2 more inches and hit the conduit running to the box :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

drobertson

I hit a tee post in a red oak, it was drove in by a tornado, completely perpindicalar. never saw it on the deck, worst part was I helped load them on the truck, made it completely through, then you guess the rest,  yard logs and fence lines are the worst for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chico

I hit a pc of a cannonball we were sawing log out the Chichamauga battlefield area and sawed many many sabots grape shot etc but the cannonball wreaked havoc  lol
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

bandmiller2

Yesterday really needed this perfect cylinder long pine for a job,hit 1/2" eyebolt and half way up the log clothesline pulley.Folks seldom drive hardware in ugly trees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

The worst I have hit was a dog chain that someone had hung over a spruce lumb when the tree was much smaller.  The spruce was approx 27" and the chain was running the length of the log.  By counting rings and knowing about when the plantation was started, I figured that the chain was hung on that lumb approx 1925 and I found it in 2006!  Did the sparks ever fly!!!!!!!!!

The next worst thing I have found was a small no fishing sign that was nailed to a red oak in the 1930's.  The tree had grown around it and I never saw any evidence of it being there until I clipped the one corner of it off was the band.  Dug at the sign for about 20 minutes now the sign hangs in my shed.  You can somewhat see the wording on it now but very very faint!

Its amazing how all those nails, screws and other objects ended up in trees when we were kids!!!!!!!!

bandmiller2

Seems somehow fitting the worst rascals driving nails, as kids, grow up to be sawyers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

T Welsh

You name I have probably hit it. Nail,lags,screws,horseshoe,chains,wire rope. But yesterday I hit a yellow jacket nest inside the log. I spit that log off the mill so fast it wasnt funny and one of the little dudes got me under the arm and it still hurts. I cut the end of the log off and ran the saw right through the nest. I will get a picture of it tomorrow. Here is one of my all time greatest hits, a chain in a cherry log. Tim

Magicman

drobertson talked about hitting a "T" fence post that he supposed was driven into the tree by a tornado.  Maybe so, but mine was driven into the log when the tree was felled on a fence line.

The post was then broken off below the bark when the log was skidded out.  That is one piece of log that I sawed out and kept.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Magicman, this could have been the case with what I hit as well, we had the storm go through in 09' I just guessed what might have happened, the results are real close to the same, changed blade!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sigidi

hits in the last week or so for sigidi.....

Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!