iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I use alot of water with ash because i find it heats up the band.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sandsawmill14

Quote from: derhntr on May 22, 2017, 10:14:40 AM
I know dry Ash will gum the heck out of a band.

this is my experience with DRY OR Dead STANDING ash too  fresh green logs not much trouble same with white oak :)
Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 23, 2017, 06:55:18 AM
I use alot of water with ash because i find it heats up the band.

i also run alot of water mixed with murphys oil soap it helps but still have shorter blade life than normal :-\
i wonder if it varies by region ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

My ash logs here also gum up my blades. I had not paid any attention to whether they were dry or green. I use 4 degree blades with lots of water and Dawn or pinesol.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2017, 08:16:11 AM
   My ash logs here also gum up my blades. I had not paid any attention to whether they were dry or green. I use 4 degree blades with lots of water and Dawn or pinesol.

the heart wood in ash is really dry even when the tree is green and standing but it doesnt get hard until its dead or cut and let the logs dry before sawing :)

OlJarhead

Seems I'm not the only one!

I should charge a premium for old dry logs. 
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

sandsawmill14

if you think you could by with it they are more trouble :)

Carson-saws

OlJarhead....Really happy for you...a very impressive line up of great jobs...keep on keepin on Sir...
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 23, 2017, 08:51:59 AM
Seems I'm not the only one!

I should charge a premium for old dry logs.

I do charge a premium for cutting the dry ones. I add $20 an hour to my going rate.
Have 1 guy a mile north of town that has been bugging me to come mill up about 70 tree length white spruce for 2 years and they been down for about 5 years. He doesn't like the price but no one will cut them for him.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

rjwoelk

Eric I ended up with a load of foam sheets out of gersham so did not come by your place. It was a good load till I hit 60 mph wind, not fun going from the driving lane to the shoulder in a flash. Made it last night. Take care .
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

OlJarhead

One of these days Bob ;)

I had a half weekend off last and all of this Memorial weekend off which is good as I tore something in my shoulder (it's healing well I think though) so it needs a break.  As such I'm taking the mill to a customer who offered to trade 4hrs milling time for a customer basket to transport my stuff on the mill with and a removable spare tire mount (for the back to balance some of the weight I'm adding to the front).  I'll drop the mill off with him for a couple days and head to my cabin to do some spring cleaning (which it desperately needs) and slash burning.

Then the 1st I have WM coming out to completely service the mill and after that I have some jobs lined up for the summer but I'm hoping to dial it back a little and get some time to myself on at least 1 or two weekends a month ;)

Ljohnsaw

Wow, slacking off, are you? :D  Be careful, you might have some withdrawal pains!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

Resting is good. I'm resting right now.   ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 26, 2017, 09:38:53 AM
Wow, slacking off, are you? :D  Be careful, you might have some withdrawal pains!
Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 26, 2017, 09:17:44 PM
Resting is good. I'm resting right now.   ;D

The only time I have withdrawal pains is when I don't get enough rest.  And maybe when I get up too early for coffee. :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Darrel on May 26, 2017, 09:59:13 PM

And maybe when I get up too early for coffee. :D

They don't make a time that's too early for coffee...

Herb

Darrel

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 26, 2017, 11:24:51 PM
Quote from: Darrel on May 26, 2017, 09:59:13 PM

And maybe when I get up too early for coffee. :D

They don't make a time that's too early for coffee...

Herb

I don't think Ive ever gotten up that early but if I did, I'd have withdrawal pains!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Didn't do to much this weekend so far and don't have plans to do much more ;)  Managed to get myself Bursitus in the right shoulder (which is my bad shoulder due to an old USMC injury years ago) and need to take it easy.  But I did manage to grade my driveway to the cabin a bit before heading over to pick up the mill from a customer who traded some milling for some customer baskets and a spare tire mount.  I gave him the freedom to invent and this is what he came up with:

The spare is bolted to a plate that is welded to square tube 12" long which is then slid into any of the supports on the mill for transport.  I can be strapped down, bungied or in this case just dropped in and left (it won't go anywhere).

The front basket is for chainsaws and other items that need a place to sit on the mill in transit.  This basket is pinned under the mill frame and very easy to remove.

Another basket is in the works for the center of the mill where I can transport water and fuel and there is this little guy for the back:

He misjudged the size needed (measured off somehow) and this will fit two 5 gallon cans (I believe) but not two 6 gallon cans (which is what I carry) but will carry one and something else.  It's handy and easily removed.

Once the last basket is finished I should be able to quickly and securely place fuel, water and tools etc on the mill for transit when the camper is on the truck.

Trimmed up some 21" boards for him down to 17" since he realized the planer he will be using is limited to 17.5" max and then tried to mill up a larch for him and got waves like mad.  Scratched my head and said "probably the drive belt is loose but I really don't want to mess with it right now" since WM is coming Thursday so I'll come back (no charge) and mill it once I'm sure all is well -- and headed home to relax for the rest of the weekend.

Cheers
Erik

grouch

All the other tires are going to be jealous of the spare never doing any work and yet getting to ride up there on a throne. Need to find some work for it to do before they stage a revolt.
Find something to do that interests you.

WV Sawmiller

All looks good. I hope that does not mess up the tongue weight making it hard to load or move or maybe you remove all the extras before disconnecting the mill and load after connection. I was happy to see everything seems to slip in or is bolted or belted on instead of welded as welding would void the warranty as I understand them.

Happy Memorial Day. Take care of that old sore wing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Looks great Oljarhead.  I vaguely remember that you have a license plate on your mill.  See in NY if you put those tool trays on, your piece of equipment that didn't require a license plate is now considered a trailer and will now require a license plate.  Something to keep in mind for the NYers getting idears. 
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

I like ALL those little extras alot. never gave it much thought but it will work real good.

As far as loading for hitch weight I just make sure that weight is distributed so that the ratios front to back stays relatively close to factory spec AND so that the hitch weight capacity of my truck in not exceeded. I added a removable Ag Implement jack to my hitch because the front outrigger jack is a PITA for hooking and unhooking. Yea I know I will get picture for you all. 

For spare security you could just drill a hole through the out rigger and the spare stand and use a pin to ensure it isnt going to have an accident and bounce out going over  a bad rail crossing or the like.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

Milled a whopping 110bf today for a couple local folks (one log each).  Takes my total now to 87410bf on this mill :)

Only problem I had was the first location was too steep and I've advised the customer to move the logs so I can put the mill in a better spot and I'll come back for the remaining 6 logs and I had the pully on the head lift motor come loose.  Had to open up the mill, move the motor, remove the belt, fix the pulley properly and put everything back then it was fine.

OlJarhead

Not sure I mentioned it earlier but I've torn something in my shoulder, most likely the bursa and as such I've not been milling. :(

I have a few customers I've had to hold off on milling for due to the injury but hope to be back at it in July.

I am going to the Forest Owners Field Day in Dayton to demo the mill though next weekend but that should be a light workout so I figure it will be ok...plus the shoulder seems to be improving.

paul case

Glad to hear it is improving.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

OlJarhead

A few pics of the Forest Owners Field Day

rjwoelk

Good day to you folks. See the camper is coming in handy.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!