iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Thanks Bud!  I'm really looking forward to warmer weather and some serious milling!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

No new milling lately but I did spend some time at the cabin and produced this video (Part one of two)
The old jarheads cabin build | Fireside discussion - YouTube
I discuss the cabin build and in part two below I specifically call out FF for their help and turning me on to Wood-Mizer!

The Old Jarheads Cabin Build | Fireside discussion continued - YouTube

I have had a few calls for potential milling gigs this spring so with luck I'll be back in the saddle this year!  I'm planning on quitting my job (which darn near gave me a heart attack last year from all the insane stress they began to pour on) and just do my milling and wood working and cabin stuff :D

OlJarhead

Winter is killing me! LOL -- at this time I can't get the mill to the cabin and even if I could it wouldn't do me any good as there is a foot and a half of snow still!  Even if the tractor's four wheel drive worked I still wouldn't be able to do much....and down here no one is ready to get milling it seems.  So I sit and twiddle my thumbs ;)  Actually, I'll head back to the cabin soon and I'm starting a new woodworking project.

For anyone interested, I finally finished the coffee table I started a few years back!  Here is from when I started it ;)

My sister's pre-school class learning about the life of trees and what happens to them when they start to die.

Ready for the 230+ mile haul home after milling up her English Walnut.

Quick stop in Hillsboro for a tax free purchase (always take advantage of the tax savings when in Oregon :D

This is the slab I made the top from...before it was dried and planed of course.

Stacked and stickered for nearly a year.

The 'sorta solar kiln' -- just 6 mil plastic on a frame with a dehumidifier inside and a small heater for when it got colder.  It did seem to help as the dehumidifier was always releasing water by day.

And after drying, planing, setting bowties (I'm a rookie) and then moving, building a shop, doing other things etc etc etc I finally got it done!  WhooHoo!
Live edge slab coffee table | Simple but amazing! - YouTube

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Walnut Beast

Crossroads

Cool idea on the mini kiln, I have a small order of blued pine that I need to dry. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Quote from: Crossroads on February 09, 2022, 07:17:41 PM
Cool idea on the mini kiln, I have a small order of blued pine that I need to dry.
It seemed to work ok but there were some challenges:
1. Household dehumidifiers only go down to about 30% -- however, every day there was water coming out of the tent from it so it had to be helping.
2. Try not to do it in the late fall early winter even if where I am LOL it got too cold after a while.
3.  It would be better to just have a fan moving the air out of the box and an air inlet on the sun side.
It did help lower the moisture a bit though.
As for blue pine, I air dry it only.  But I am in a very arid climate so that helps but in about 8 weeks of air drying it's down pretty low already and useable at that point for construction use, paneling etc.
Cheers
Erik

Crossroads

It's definitely cold now, 6° this morning. I may end up cheating, I spoke to my old boss yesterday and they are running their kiln again and said I can send my stack of pine through. I am also buying a piece of CLT to use for the floor of a kiln that I will build this year. Right now I have some clear plastic over the stack with both ends open. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

That's a tad chilly!  But glad you can take advantage of the kiln!

OlJarhead

An Introduction to Mobile Milling - YouTube
Made this one for the WSU extension Forest and Range Owners training.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

I am seriously getting tired of it! LOL  

I am planning on going into Semi-Retirement (i.e. quitting my full time job) and running my mill part time and I want to get some cabin logs milled up and it just aint happening right now!

Magicman

I absolutely recommend being fully retired like myself.  Then you will never have another day off.....ever !!  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I like your video, you did a good job.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2022, 01:35:34 PM
I absolutely recommend being fully retired like myself.  Then you will never have another day off.....ever !!  :D
LOL that would be better than where I work now! 

OlJarhead

8) I am getting close!  Planning my last day at the 'job' to be April First -- not fools but they are to lose me LOL  Don't matter though as I have a sawmill and a Jeep ;)  So I plan to use both more :D

fluidpowerpro

Congratulations on taking the next step. I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping busy.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

doc henderson

Joke is on them; I am sure you will be missed at work.  good for you!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

OK, the first might be too ambitious but it's coming in April one way or another ;)  I just agreed to take a week off (LOL) at the start of April (OK, I took it, they agreed) and then I will likely put in my notice after that ;)  Couple things happening to delay it a little but I hope to be out of there by mid-April if at all possible, though it might be the end of April.

I have a job scheduled now for the 15th though the 17th about 100 miles from home and I think the wife will join me for that one.  I also have a week of work planned around the same time (so I really need to retire so I can go to work LOL) and a couple other customers chomping at the bit to get their logs milled up...and I suspect I'll be busy in May and June as well but I am taking a week off in June and at least one in July and likely all of August :D :D

Can't wait to do something I LOVE to do vs something I just do because it's what I've done for over 25 years and paid well....it's time!

Crossroads

I doubt you'll regret it, I left my day job on April 2 last year to run the mill full time. I just couldn't bring myself to leave on April fools day, for fear the joke would end up being on me. 

rjwoelk

15 years trucking ,covide headaches  came so decided enough, so called it quite last April. It was too miserable winter this year to be driving anyway.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

TimW

In 12 days it will be 2 years since I turned a wrench on an airliner.  Haven't missed it at all.  I miss the people I worked with, but not the drive or being on graveyard for 28 years.
 Thank you covid, for the early retirement.

I highly recommend retirement.  It's the only job you can work harder at than you did before and love it.  Long lunches and siesta help.  Waking up without an alarm clock is AWESOME. Setting your own hours is priceless.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

GAB

Quote from: Bindian on March 19, 2022, 12:49:46 AM
In 12 days it will be 2 years since I turned a wrench on an airliner.  Haven't missed it at all.  I miss the people I worked with, but not the drive or being on graveyard for 28 years.

I highly recommend retirement.  It's the only job you can work harder at than you did before and love it.  Long lunches and siesta help.  Waking up without an alarm clock is AWESOME. Setting your own hours is priceless.
hugs,  Brandi
Go ahead: Rub it in, Rub it in, Rub it in.
You forgot about being able to turn off the ignition, and go fishing or hunting, or anything else your little heart might desire.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: GAB on March 19, 2022, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: Bindian on March 19, 2022, 12:49:46 AM

hugs,  Brandi
Go ahead: Rub it in, Rub it in, Rub it in.
You forgot about being able to turn off the ignition, and go fishing or hunting, or anything else your little heart might desire.
GAB
In June, it will be 9 years for me.  I don't get to go fishing as much as I'd like - got too many other projects going on competing for my time!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dakota

hugs,  Brandi

All the above X2
Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!